Hide
6 Posts

Betrayal at House on the Hill» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can I roll dice in secret? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Kearl
msg tools
I played several games today. In one game, where I was traitor, I was making several dice rolls for Items and abilities in the Tome.
Do I have to let the other players know what I am rolling for, or can I make rolls and if I fail (with no consequence), just continue my turn (sort of trying to freak the heroes out and keeo them guessing as they don't know what I'm plotting or if I am passing dice rolls or not)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colby Brown
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always played that the dice are rolled openly, but the traitor and the heros are under no obligation to tell the other what the rolls are for. In interested in seeing if anyone else has other interpretations.

ninja edit: damn autocorrect
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rees
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brobo wrote:
I've always played that the dice are rolled openly, but the traitor and the heros are under no obligation to tell the other what the rolls are for. In interested in seeing if anyone else has other interpretations.

Same. If you watch the video for Betrayal Legacy, the designer mentions doing just this. Items are allowed to be secret, if I recall correctly, so there's no reason to reveal what the rolls are for until necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Garvens
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
OW!
badge
Suuuuuuuperrrrr!
mbmbmbmbmb
Serneum wrote:
brobo wrote:

Same. If you watch the video for Betrayal Legacy, the designer mentions doing just this. Items are allowed to be secret, if I recall correctly, so there's no reason to reveal what the rolls are for until necessary.

Item and Omen cards are required to be placed in front of the player face up. Event cards must be read aloud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously your group can play the game any way they think is fun. However, below are some quotes from the official FAQ.

The FAQ wrote:
Are all trait scores and carried items/omens public knowledge, or can you refuse to answer questions about them?
They are public knowledge. Keep your character card and your Item and Omen cards face up.

When do the heroes find out the traits of a monster?
When the monster has to roll dice for a trait. All dice rolls are open.

How much do you have to reveal about what you are doing to the other side?
You should announce the purpose of any action you are taking to the other side -- for instance, "I am making an exorcism roll now," or "This roll is to see whether the house blows up." You don't need to reveal what number you need to roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Kearl
msg tools
The Haunt in question was #41, obviously I didn't want to give away where I was (being invisible), so me saying "I am rolling to attempt to steal an item" isn't very sneaky.
Seeming the Tome said (paraphrasing) "roll this amount and you don't have to say who your attempting to steal from" would still give away that I am near a hero if I announce the purpose of the roll.

They did likewise when one hero rolled, said nothing happened, then next turn, rolled and asked what symbol was in the rooom I was in. So I ended up guessing what that was about.

It kept the interesting, dispite the fact it was the longest Haunt of the day

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.