Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Andrews
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Could you play with two automas by using two solo decks?

I accidentally ordered two decks - not sure whether to be happy or sad at this point ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has not been tested, but in theory it should work. I would just recommend ignoring the blocked village location on one of the decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
I played with two AI decks last week. Works just fine. However, I played without the blocking as I wasn’t sure it was necessary with two opponents. Here’s my AAR:

Mo: 70, Win!
Purple ShemBot: 63
Yellow ShemBot: 63
Normal, Complete AI Deck
Base game only

I decided to try using two AI decks as I’ve heard many soloists play other games with automa style decks that way. The only change I made was that I didn't implement the blocking in the work area. And it was fun!

I don't know that I would play this way often, but I am certainly interested in trying it again at some point. It was a tight race right up to the final few turns. Neither ShemBot was able to raid a fortress, which is why they lost. If even one had done so, I think I would have lost by the narrowest of margins.

In either case, playing against two bots was interesting. Shem did a great job with the AI decks. Each of them took a slightly different route to the finish line (one with raids, one with offerings) and yet they scored the same. Pretty impressive.

As usual, I avoided most of the Valkyrie tokens, keeping my same crew through the entire game. (I did have the Berserker, who goes back into your hand when killed in a raid, so he was revived twice.) This meant both ShemBots would score big in that area. They even beat me in the armour category. In the end, I was able to raid four of the fortresses, which put me ahead in endgame scoring and giving me the victory.

Very cool.

Mo Purple Yellow
Endgame 41 26 34
Valkyrie 1 10 10
Armor 4 6 6
Offerings 20 21 13
Crew 2 x x
Plunder 2 x x
TOTAL 70 63 63
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Andrews
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
When you say this:
mo7189 wrote:
I don't know that I would play this way often...

Did you mean that you like it better with only one Bot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omni Gamer
United States
Norman
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about 2 bots + 2 human players = 4 player game. Each player fiddles with one bot to ease management. I think this will work great as an option if you want that higher player count. What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, you could try that. Again, just ignore the blocking element at the bottom of each AI card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
DougA wrote:
When you say this:
mo7189 wrote:
I don't know that I would play this way often...

Did you mean that you like it better with only one Bot?

As a solo gamer, I found running two bots a little fiddly. Not difficult by any means, but it was extra time and extra work. I was only playing the base game when using two bots. I have both expansions and have played several times with one bot. I would not be interested in playing with two in that format as the expansions give me enough to think about without running two bots as well.

So I’ll probably play the base game with two bots on occasion, but mostly I’ll play with both expansions and just one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Rubin
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing with 2 Bots, did you find they ran through the offering tiles too quickly thus ending the game a bit sooner than you would have liked?

Anyone thought of a method to adjust the Bots when playing with 2 of them so they are not identical? (Obviously the Bot cards will come out in different orders.)

I just ordered a second deck, so am interested in trying it with 2, probably just using the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.