Subject: Homebrew Inventrix Buffs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl Stack
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
My friends and I have played this game a lot and come to realize that Inventrix is not really very good. Everybody wants to like it, but it seems like the weakest corporation by a fair margin. We've had many ideas to buff it and little agreement. We were curious what BGG forum goers thought.

Here are some of our ideas:

Make it affect all parameters, not just global (this has been generally agreed to be probably OP).

Make it affect all parameters instead of just global, but only by one step.

Make it's three card draw more like MSI's; reveal until you find three with global parameters.

Make it instead reveal until you find three with science tags.

Give it two science tags instead of one.

Increase the steps to up to three removed instead of up to two.

What do you all think of any or all of these?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
I would just fix it like this:

Give it +3/-3 instead of +2/-2. This allows Inventrix to start playing instead of spending money playing inefficient oceans just to get in range.

Make it start with 48 credits. The reason is that card draws in TM are overpriced, they cost 3 credits each, the same as buying a card in the research phase. But blind card draws aren't as useful as choosing and hence should be worth less credits.

These are very small changes but would be very helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Clark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The best ones in my view would be:

Dig for 3 cards with global requirements.

+/- 4 steps, but does not stack with other similar effects. (that way, the ability is quite significant but can't be exploited hard)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr F
msg tools
sintar07 wrote:
My friends and I have played this game a lot and come to realize that Inventrix is not really very good. Everybody wants to like it, but it seems like the weakest corporation by a fair margin. We've had many ideas to buff it and little agreement. We were curious what BGG forum goers thought.

Here are some of our ideas:

Make it affect all parameters, not just global (this has been generally agreed to be probably OP).

Make it affect all parameters instead of just global, but only by one step.

Make it's three card draw more like MSI's; reveal until you find three with global parameters.

Make it instead reveal until you find three with science tags.

Give it two science tags instead of one.

Increase the steps to up to three removed instead of up to two.

What do you all think of any or all of these?

It's not a weak corp at all, this is a common misconception. It honestly depends on how you play the game.

If you play with draft + Venus, Inventrix is actually quite good. Even draft without Venus, Inventrix is still decent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Parker
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of the three starting cards for free, what if Inventrix drew five cards each generation to buy from instead of four? That would represent more research being done and they’d increase their chances of getting good cards for their strategy. I’m not sure how that would work in drafting, but it would certainly be a unique and interesting mechanic. I don’t think it would be too strong since they’d still have to buy whatever cards they wish to keep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CenozoicMatt wrote:
Instead of the three starting cards for free, what if Inventrix drew five cards each generation to buy from instead of four? That would represent more research being done and they’d increase their chances of getting good cards for their strategy. I’m not sure how that would work in drafting, but it would certainly be a unique and interesting mechanic. I don’t think it would be too strong since they’d still have to buy whatever cards they wish to keep.

Too powerful ontop of its ability. I made a custom corp for my group that does this (and gets one mc back for every card drawn to keep outside the research phase). Never underestimate card draw especially if drafting.
I think making its three cards drawn in a similar way to msi is fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rene Wenzel
Austria
Graz
Österreich
flag msg tools
I likethe idea of two science tags instead of one.so you can play good science cards quite early, if you have them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
MrFahrenheit7 wrote:
It's not a weak corp at all, this is a common misconception. It honestly depends on how you play the game.

If you play with draft + Venus, Inventrix is actually quite good. Even draft without Venus, Inventrix is still decent.

While your overall point isn't invalid, the collected stats seem to indicate that, in fact, Inventrix is pretty weak:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1654557/help-needed-lets-co...

Inventrix shakes out as one of the least effective corps overall, coming in below average (significantly below in many cases) in all sizes of games. My experience in many, many games of play tends to match the stats--Inventrix seems pretty rough.

Yeah, if you luck into some very particular cards in your opening hand, Inventrix can do pretty well (I think the best possible start is Methane from Titan; you can get Methane from Titan, one other card, and immediately play it on the first generation with the 2% O2 requirement), but barring some very specific circumstances, it seems very difficult to do well with Inventrix (to the point that everyone around here just sees it in their initial corp draw, laughs, and immediately throws it away before even looking at their opening hand...)

Any insight you'd like to share on playing Inventrix effectively?

In terms of fixes, the +3/-3 seems like a good one; it opens up an awful lot more possible cards to leverage early on that could make them a little more attractive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Personally I think they should do the Venus trick when dealing with cards needing a specific trait. Drawing 3 random cards is not very good usually so it should be some form of reveal cards until you find cards with the specific attributes.

Revealing cards Until you find 3 cards with science tags/science tag requirements would be fair.

The +3/-3 isn't bad either since I will say that +2/-2 does seem a little restrictive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Maré
United Kingdom
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrFahrenheit7 is one of the top players on Tabletop Simulator, he knows what he's talking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Leg
msg tools
mb
Best start for inventrix would likely include adaptation tech.

But they're one of the few corps who makes good use of AI Central and other heavy card draw tools since they have a much higher probability of getting a good card than most.

As stated, playing with Venus and draft helps. You can't reliably hate draft against Inventrix, aside from that one card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
A buff of +/- 3 steps was recommended by the designers. This helps a lot to remedy the "it's getting there this generation anyway" problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gonzalo Pro
Peru
flag msg tools
mb
I'm sorry man, without Venus Inventrix sits at the bottom of the Corporate. If you disagree I'd love to read what sits at the bottom then. Balance of this game is fairly great with Draft/Venus and now with Prelude, but sadly Inventrix is at the bottom right now and needs a little bump.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
admin
badge
The science of history is a great bulwark against the stream of Time; in a way it checks this irresistible flood, it holds in a tight grasp whatever it can seize floating on the surface and will not allow it to slip away into the depths of oblivion
mbmbmb
Thread moved from General to Variants

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Hendricks
United States
Carnegie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
In our (ten generation, four player) game of Terraforming Mars yesterday, 36 of my 83 points were from off-board scoring, about half of which were animal and microbe cards that I was able to play much earlier due to choosing Inventrix. It was a narrow win (player two had 77), but a win nonetheless.

If Inventrix seems weak to you, I recommend playing every animal/microbe card you get as soon as the corporation's ability allows you to play it. If you go after the same cards every game, or are heavily invested in competitive tile dropping, Inventrix might not be the right corporation for you. Fortunately, you get to pick from two different corporations!

Inventrix needs no alteration, and, if you adapt your style of play to the card and not vice versa, may be one of the more powerful corporations.

(In reference to a comment by General Norris, bonus cards drawn are unlike cards drawn during research, and go straight into your hand without a 3 MCR pre-purchase fee. This was addressed by Jonathan Fryxelius in a previous thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1620489/drawing-cards)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rikard Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
We tried the "draw until you get 3 science cards" once. It didn't help the corp at all. It just locks you into a science strategy you might not want to pursue.

I think drawing for global requirements is a better solution then.

However, I talked to the game designer during the swedish championships of TM and he said that if they would have printed it today it would have been with +/- 3 steps. So if anything, I would just go with that, as someone already mentioned above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Bulhões
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
Hoogard wrote:
We tried the "draw until you get 3 science cards" once. It didn't help the corp at all. It just locks you into a science strategy you might not want to pursue.

However, I talked to the game designer during the swedish championships of TM and he said that if they would have printed it today it would have been with +/- 3 steps. So if anything, I would just go with that, as someone already mentioned above.

That's good information. I will try to talk my friends into the +3/- 3 steps rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Seeger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hoogard wrote:

They could have included the new Inventrix in Preludium, as they did with that one Venus Next card (in the German edition is a replacement card).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
k4comicbook wrote:
In our (ten generation, four player) game of Terraforming Mars yesterday, 36 of my 83 points were from off-board scoring, about half of which were animal and microbe cards that I was able to play much earlier due to choosing Inventrix. It was a narrow win (player two had 77), but a win nonetheless.

If Inventrix seems weak to you, I recommend playing every animal/microbe card you get as soon as the corporation's ability allows you to play it.

Like, this isn't an invalid strategy, but it is a risky, hard to pull off, and unlikely to work often strategy. As while Inventrix is playing animal and microbe cards a generation or two early, everyone else is doing things that gain them TR, and as such, improves their in game position as well as getting them VPs. Heck, even the space corps get to occasionally get titanium production (making their further space wankistry easier and cheaper) to improve their position.

Can Inventrix win a game? Sure. Can it win a game by super leveraging it's special ability and making lots of animals and bugs and stuff? Absolutely. But it is gonna be really hard to do. And not happen remotely as often as, say, Tharsis is gonna win by having a billion dollars and city VPs all over the place or Mining Guild is gonna win by making 8 steel a turn and building a bunch of stuff that gives them VPs.

Inventrix is pretty clearly one of the weakest corps in the game. Like, yeah, it can be fun and challenging to play, and can even win once and a while, especially if you play it smart and to it's strengths. But that doesn't mean it isn't, like, one of the bottom 2 or 3 corps, in terms of overall effectiveness, in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Furry Fox
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We used to play with the original and it lost a lot, then switched to +/-3 steps and have gone back to the original since the Venus Next expansion.

If you use the UN rule, Inventrix loses a lot of its weaknesses and you get more control. I really love getting Inventrix now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rikard Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
What's the UN rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flight Doc
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hoogard wrote:

If this is the case, I strongly feel they should offer a replacement card or include it in the upcoming Colonies. The more players in a game, the faster the parameters go up, and thus the more useless its effect is. I like +/-3. I’ll be playing it that way for now on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rikard Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
PenguinMD wrote:
Hoogard wrote:

If this is the case, I strongly feel they should offer a replacement card or include it in the upcoming Colonies. The more players in a game, the faster the parameters go up, and thus the more useless its effect is. I like +/-3. I’ll be playing it that way for now on.

Yeah, I think they are still a bit unconvinced, at least not convinced enough to actually make an errata. It's not like the corp is useless as it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.