Mansions of Madness» Forums » General

Subject: Will they release more DLC ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nuka 75
France
flag msg tools
Hello fellow investigators,

I am currently digging a little more into MoM 2d edition and I like it so far. I bought the first DLC but haven't played it yet. Second one seems also to be great.

Alas, I've seen that the first DLC has been released in december 2016 and the second one almost one year ago...

So here is my question : do you now if there is any news about the success of those DLCs and do you think they plan to release a third one ?

The game seems to sell well given the expansions production but I am kind of puzzled why they don't focus also on DLC which have a cost production a lot more cheaper than a physical expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they will, but they have really been hammering out physical expansions recently and because those also include new scenarios I have a feeling that they are likely stretched a bit thin on staff.

I think given the relative popularity of the game and the free profitability factor of DLC that more will certainly be released going forward, but as long as the 30 and 60$ expansion boxes keep selling I think they will be prioritizing those with the DLC being a bonus carrot thrown out here and there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Crane
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
30 and 60 dollar physical expansions have a bigger profit margin then a 5 dollar app if you. Insider how many get sold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Devonmouse wrote:
30 and 60 dollar physical expansions have a bigger profit margin then a 5 dollar app if you. Insider how many get sold.

It's not really that simple, and it would require numbers that we don't have access to. Yes, if you sell the same number of each for each release then that follows, but what if you sold 5X as many DLC? 10X? 50X?

Physical releases require more set-up time (creation of tile assets, any new cards, art), set-up cost (creation of molds, &c.), cost of manufacture and shipping back to the US, and so forth. I would guess that they are also less prone to impulse buys, as it is different to buy a 30$ box vs. a 5$ DLC. (Devil's Advocate: but someone who already paid 100 for the base game probably isn't hurting for money; still, the price difference is appreciable).

Both require narrative writing and programming, but the cost of producing a finished DLC is considerably less and you don't need to babysit its availability like you do with a physical release either. It is always up for sale and the customer doesn't even need to leave their house to get it.

I think all of this will keep DLC releases as at least periodic regulars on the FFG release schedule. If you start seeing more my guess would be it is because physical expansion box sales start slowing down, which will happen eventually; the question is just when.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CortexBomb wrote:
Physical releases require more set-up time (creation of tile assets, any new cards, art)

To be fair, most of their art is recycled. Not complaining here. I kind of like the familiarity of some images - like the guy in the straight-jacket for the Dazed condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Crane
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CortexBomb wrote:
Devonmouse wrote:

It's not really that simple, and it would require numbers that we don't have access to. Yes, if you sell the same number of each for each release then that follows, but what if you sold 5X as many DLC? 10X? 50X?

Physical releases require more set-up time (creation of tile assets, any new cards, art), set-up cost (creation of molds, &c.), cost of manufacture and shipping back to the US, and so forth. I would guess that they are also less prone to impulse buys, as it is different to buy a 30$ box vs. a 5$ DLC. (Devil's Advocate: but someone who already paid 100 for the base game probably isn't hurting for money; still, the price difference is appreciable).

Both require narrative writing and programming, but the cost of producing a finished DLC is considerably less and you don't need to babysit its availability like you do with a physical release either. It is always up for sale and the customer doesn't even need to leave their house to get it.

I think all of this will keep DLC releases as at least periodic regulars on the FFG release schedule. If you start seeing more my guess would be it is because physical expansion box sales start slowing down, which will happen eventually; the question is just when.
expansions sell at a less and less rate everytime. Add into the simple fact that if they were making more money with the 5 dollar dlc we would be seeing more 5 dollar dlc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know a whole bunch of people with the game who like myself are happy to pick up the DLC last (which, for many of us, means we still have unplayed content from physical expansions still, so haven't touched it).

Not sure what the sales figures are like for DLC, but clearly not great enough to generate much of it.

I also play using multiple platforms (depending on where I'm playing) so the platform-lock on the DLC is a huge turn-off too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feffe Aldritch
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
I´m sure there will be more DLC´s but even though it looks like a small effort to put together, one need to remember that the game is produced in 9 or 10 languages, which means that everything need to translated, including the voice content. So, the amount of work put in in comparison to expected profit is ofcourse crucial. And I would think that there is still better business in making physical releases for some time yet.
I don´t believe we will see a that many DLC´s in the future, a few maybe.
Replayability is, I think, the most important factor which highly affect the future of the game. Some games just die because they get stuck and can´t evolve any further. I think an app-game like this is in a danger spot because it evolves around a limited amount of scenarios which naturally becomes very predictable after a few plays.
But let´s hope FFG have smart plans for the future so the game will live on. It´s such a great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Phantomwhale wrote:

I also play using multiple platforms (depending on where I'm playing) so the platform-lock on the DLC is a huge turn-off too.

This. I have not purchased DLC content yet bacause we tend to play over different devices, depending on the situation. They should be linked to a customer account, imho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Wagstaff
msg tools
mbmb
Shu1984 wrote:
Phantomwhale wrote:

This. I have not purchased DLC content yet bacause we tend to play over different devices, depending on the situation. They should be linked to a customer account, imho.

That would be great but IIRC it's a big no-no from most of the platform holders. For example, Apple don't want you to be able to use something that you brought through Google, since they don't make any money from that sale. We see this a lot with video games that release on multiple platforms (especially big games like Fortnite) - DLC or microtransactions don't cross between platforms even when your account does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesomeclaw wrote:
That would be great but IIRC it's a big no-no from most of the platform holders. For example, Apple don't want you to be able to use something that you brought through Google, since they don't make any money from that sale. We see this a lot with video games that release on multiple platforms (especially big games like Fortnite) - DLC or microtransactions don't cross between platforms even when your account does.

Yeah, exactly this. I am all for dogging FFG for customer-unfriendly practices that they have control over; but this is not one of them.

I still think the most likely scenario for slow DLC release is probably a combination of favorable sales for the physical boxes and limited resources. It seems likely that there is one team that produces MoM content; if they are busy producing new scenarios for physical boxes, then they are not likely to be simultaneously making new DLC content as well. I'm not sure if that is how it actually works, but with a company the size of FFG it would certainly make sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuka 75
France
flag msg tools
CortexBomb wrote:
I still think the most likely scenario for slow DLC release is probably a combination of favorable sales for the physical boxes and limited resources. It seems likely that there is one team that produces MoM content; if they are busy producing new scenarios for physical boxes, then they are not likely to be simultaneously making new DLC content as well. I'm not sure if that is how it actually works, but with a company the size of FFG it would certainly make sense.

I think that is the point. The two DLC were released before the first physical expansion. The main flaw of the game, at that time, was the lack of scenarii. Therefore, thanks to DLC, they were at 8 just before the first expansion (4 from the base, 2 from first edition, 2 from DLC) and hit 10 with the first release. I think also that more DLC will be released when they will slow down the expansion process, as it was stated : one group of developpers for the game means focus on each physical expansion.

As for the cost of the DLC, I'm not sure how it works but the cost for translation must not be that high. For FFG France, we have some information through their forum: they get the files, translate them and then send them to FFG who pays them in a client relationship. As for voice introduction, well... they don't put a lot of money into the voice which are played mainly by the employees of FFG France (You can clearly hear that they are not voice acting professionals). Lately, they didn't even care anymore to do a correct voice introduction (and I can't blame them, who really cares ? as long as they correctly translate the not-so-easy english of the original product, which they manage to do nicely).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Charbonneau
Canada
Montreal
Qc
flag msg tools
mb
at Gencon 2018, yesterday my friend attending the show asked the guy at FFG when the next DLC would be available, he said not this year he thinks since they will be relasing two expension in 2018 already. Then again the guy is only a rep and might not be aware of the true plans of DLC releases!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter J
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantasy Flight also has to maintain the Descent and Imperial Assault app, so it's possible they don't have the staff to work on dlc scenarios for Mansions of Madness. The physical expansions would likely take priority to stay on schedule.

Both Arkham Horror and Eldritch Horror ended with 4 small box expansions and 4 big box expansions. Mansions of Madness will be halfway there after the release of Horrific Journeys. Perhaps after all the expansions are released they will focus on DLC scenarios, as at that point they will have a huge 'final' pool of monsters and tiles to work with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.