Hide
14 Posts

Everdell» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Fantastic Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Litwin
msg tools
Played with a copy last night, that friends of mine had backed and it was fantastic.

The mechanics were tight, challenging at times even, fair, competitive and quite frankly magical. Magical because during the first few turns it feels quite difficult to imagine yourself doing more than a few things before the game is completely over; but that is far far from reality. There is an interesting gambit to every single turn of the game, and I am very pleased to say this mechanic is nearly completely on the players sitting at the table, and hardly ever because of luck. The resource balance is veracious, after a few turns you feel the weight of all your choices good and bad; it is a most wonderful experience.

Coincidentally, the theme of this game happens to be my favorite of all themes. Small creatures trying to survive and even thrive in a world where trees are like towers and foxes are like dragons; it has always brought a brilliant shine to my eyes, a place were fantasy and reality join. The theme present in this game is made more authentic by the choice of resources upon the designers part; it makes so much sense when you recognize the pattern for building constructions and critters, as a choice between alive and dead things. This in addition to the player board and the ever-tree; they serve as a reminder of where the players are playing at- a forest, a meadow, an old ever present tree -and what you are playing as- small critters of all kinds. Just look at the worker critters that wait in the safety at the top of the ever-tree and you get that sense of fantasy and reality I mentioned.

The artwork of the game is simply gorgeous; painting in board games- and even in any other medium -will always be my favorite aesthetic form. It is hard not to be completely drawn in by the art, especially the first time through where I found my thoughts were muddled between the ever continual desire to "play it to win it", and a complete satisfaction with the art on each new card I drew or laid eyes on in the meadow. Let me put it more bluntly: this is one of the few games where I would love to have something like a poster or even the original art of one of a number of the paintings- of which there is an incredible variety -to hang on my walls.

I am not really a fan of social media and until today I didn't even have an account on this site even though I have been playing board games seriously for about eight years now. I made my account to give this game a ten out of ten, create this review and to thank the designer, artist and producer for such a fantastic game. I will be adding this on to my small collection of board games today.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG! Always nice to see "that game" that brings folks into the fold. I'm having a blast playing it too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Salute
United States
Londonderry
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for sharing your experience with Everdell, and I'm glad you had fun with it! Welcome to BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wilson
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam,

Thank you so much for this well-written, wonderful review. I’m so thrilled that I could have a part in welcoming you to BGG, and creating a game that gets to be part of your collection. I’m honored that you enjoy Everdell so much. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Lang
msg tools
So you played the game once and that was enough to create a new account, rate the game a 10, and post a review?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Why not, it's a positive to be inspired!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noah caldwell
United States
galt
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard to believe being a hard core gamer for 8 years not to have an account on bgg and be part of this wonderful community. I’m on here 5 6 10 20 Times a day lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Brussel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice having you here Adam, please stick around, check out everything this site has to offer, give some more games whatever rating you feel they deserve. It's a great place.

not social media though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy B
United Kingdom
Mold
Clwyd
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cccplus wrote:
So you played the game once and that was enough to create a new account, rate the game a 10, and post a review?

I'm hoping that this quote is a positive post, text/IM/emails are always difficult to read without emoticons.

OP, Welcome to BGG and it's never too late to join....I don't do social media, but BGG is just a place to hang out and chat about your favourite past time.
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Rietema
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome from lurking to contributing! Thanks for posting a review for a game I don't have much information on.

polarican18 wrote:
The mechanics were tight, challenging at times even, fair, competitive and quite frankly magical. Magical because during the first few turns it feels quite difficult to imagine yourself doing more than a few things before the game is completely over; but that is far far from reality. There is an interesting gambit to every single turn of the game, and I am very pleased to say this mechanic is nearly completely on the players sitting at the table, and hardly ever because of luck. The resource balance is veracious, after a few turns you feel the weight of all your choices good and bad; it is a most wonderful experience.

I came away from your review wondering what this mechanic you're talking about is. I am aware of the art and setting of this game from images and quick intro videos, and I would like a review to dive a bit into the mechanics and gameplay of a game to get an idea of the experience of playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Lang
msg tools
A 10/10 review is a little hard to justify after playing a game a single time, is my point. Glad the guy was excited but that's not very helpful from a review standpoint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas K
Germany
flag msg tools
cccplus wrote:
A 10/10 review is a little hard to justify after playing a game a single time, is my point. Glad the guy was excited but that's not very helpful from a review standpoint.

As long as he gives us the information that he has played it only once, its ok i guess. I also played it only once and for me it's 9/10

2 Players with 63 points leading, thrilling finish
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomi Mononen
Finland
Kuopio
Pohjois-Savo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG mate. And thx for the review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Taylor
Canada
flag msg tools
Loved the game too. Also thrilled with how quickly and early it shipped and in fantastic condition. Very happy with my first kickstarter experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.