Subject: Another Upgrade Bonus Tile Timing Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Waldo
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
On a turn when you place an outpost that completes a column, suppose you select the tile that allows you to upgrade a resource (+2VP). Do you get to apply that bonus immediately on that same turn, but before you do a market trade?

We have played it that you need to wait until you place your next outpost, but it all depends on what you believe the timing should be. The two rules are stated as:

Quote:
...after placing an outpost, if you empty a vertical column, choose one bonus tile from the supply and place it next to your player board

And the tile action rule...

Quote:
May upgrade 1 cube 1 level immediately after you build an outpost

Emphasis on immediately is mine, and was how we justified that the tile action comes slightly before acquiring the tile. However an official ruling would be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian L
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you. You didn't have the tile when you built the outpost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam R
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
waldo wrote:
On a turn when you place an outpost that completes a column, suppose you select the tile that allows you to upgrade a resource (+2VP). Do you get to apply that bonus immediately on that same turn, but before you do a market trade?

We have played it that you need to wait until you place your next outpost, but it all depends on what you believe the timing should be. The two rules are stated as:

Quote:
...after placing an outpost, if you empty a vertical column, choose one bonus tile from the supply and place it next to your player board

And the tile action rule...

Quote:
May upgrade 1 cube 1 level immediately after you build an outpost

Emphasis on immediately is mine, and was how we justified that the tile action comes slightly before acquiring the tile. However an official ruling would be great.

I believe you are correct. At least that’s the way I’ve been playing it.

Since you didn’t have the upgrade when you built the outpost its effect would not trigger. On the later turn when you do have the upgrade and build the outpost the effect triggers because the upgrade was in your possession at the time you built the outpost.

Timing wise I think of it as:
Turn 1
1. Move (or not)
2. Build outpost (clearing column)
3. Gain upgrade
4. Take action
5. End turn

Turn 2
1. Move
2. Build outpost
3. Upgrade effect triggers
4 Take action
5. End turn

As you can see step 3 in the turn is different for both turns, because in my mind the step three timing window is replaced based on the previous step. So in turn one step 2 cleared the column which made step 3 gaining the upgrade, then the step 3 window closes and step 4 happens. Whereasto in turn two, because step 2 happened whilst the upgrade was in play, then
It turned step 3 into triggering the upgrade effect.

The curse of having played magic the gathering for so many years. Everything is steps and phases and trigger windows
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.