Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jeremy root
United States
Kingsley
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just got this game and did a quick walk-through yesterday so please bear with me on a couple (probably stupid) questions. I have looked and looked for these answers but I just cannot find them.

1) Do you have to play a command token to use your strategy card? If yes, then I assume it would come from the strategy pool on your command sheet?
I played it as if you did not use a command token from your pool. The card is your command token.

2) On an action card that says "Action" on it, how do I use that card? In the rules reference it calls it a component action, but looking at component action it does not tell how to use it. Do you use a command token? If so, from which pool?
I played it that you did not use a command token from your pool. The card is your command token.

3)When using the secondary ability of the construction strategy card it says you place a command token from your strategy pool on a system to place a PDS/space dock. I assume that means you cannot activate this system (without using warfare)this round, since it now has one of your command tokens on it? But it looks like if the system has already been activated you can still put a PDS/space dock there?
I could not find this in the rule books while doing the walk-through so I played it as the command token was already there so you cannot place a PDS/space dock on that system. If I put the command token to set a PDS/space dock I played as if you cannot activate normally again that round.

4) The technology card "HYPER METABOLISM" says "During the status phase, gain 2 command tokens instead of 1." But in the rules of the status phase it already says to gain 2 command tokens from your reinforcements. As written that technology card does nothing. Is this correct (why have the card then?)? Or are the rules in the book or on the card misprinted?
I played it as getting 1 extra command token in the status phase. So 3 command tokens per status phase.

I am sure there will be more coming up as we dig into this game but that is it for now. Really glad i did a walk-through to get some of these issues worked out ahead of time.

Thanks everyone in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
You are correct in that you do not need to place a command token to use the Primary ability of your strategy card, nor to use an Action card or ability that says "Action:". They don't count as command tokens, they're just options you have on your turn. The command tokens are specifically to do the "activate a system" action that you have as another option on your turn.

For Construction secondary: remember that as the first step of activating a system you put a command counter on it. While you're still resolving the same action that caused you to put the CC down you can put the PDS in there.

Hyper Metabolism is a known error. The card has a typo. Go check out the FFG site or the forums here for other errata you might have missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy root
United States
Kingsley
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jsciv wrote:

For Construction secondary: remember that as the first step of activating a system you put a command counter on it. While you're still resolving the same action that caused you to put the CC down you can put the PDS in there.

Thanks for your quick response. I will check out the FAQ for sure. That was where I was headed next.

With regards to your quote above, I don't think I wrote out my initial question very well. I meant it as after setting a PDS or space dock in that system you cannot then activate that same system again this turn to do something else. So basically setting a PDS/space dock is all you can do in that system the whole turn (without using warfare)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Stewart
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jerkyroot wrote:
jsciv wrote:

Thanks for your quick response. I will check out the FAQ for sure. That was where I was headed next.

With regards to your quote above, I don't think I wrote out my initial question very well. I meant it as after setting a PDS or space dock in that system you cannot then activate that same system again this turn to do something else. So basically setting a PDS/space dock is all you can do in that system the whole turn (without using warfare)?

Unless you’ve already activated the system, in which case you leave the existing command token in place and discard one from your strategy pool to your reinforcements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jerkyroot wrote:
1) Do you have to play a command token to use your strategy card? If yes, then I assume it would come from the strategy pool on your command sheet?
I played it as if you did not use a command token from your pool. The card is your command token.

Correct. In general, you only have to spend a command token from your strategy pool when you are explicitly told to do so. Normally, this is only when you are activating the secondary ability on another player's strategy card.

jerkyroot wrote:
2) On an action card that says "Action" on it, how do I use that card? In the rules reference it calls it a component action, but looking at component action it does not tell how to use it. Do you use a command token? If so, from which pool?
I played it that you did not use a command token from your pool. The card is your command token.

Correct again. Component actions come from any action card, technology, or racial ability that says "ACTION:". You can do this on any of your turns during the action phase by taking a component action instead of a tactical action or strategy action. You do not have to spend a command token to use these abilities unless it says so on the card.

jerkyroot wrote:
3)When using the secondary ability of the construction strategy card it says you place a command token from your strategy pool on a system to place a PDS/space dock. I assume that means you cannot activate this system (without using warfare)this round, since it now has one of your command tokens on it? But it looks like if the system has already been activated you can still put a PDS/space dock there?
I could not find this in the rule books while doing the walk-through so I played it as the command token was already there so you cannot place a PDS/space dock on that system. If I put the command token to set a PDS/space dock I played as if you cannot activate normally again that round.

The rule of thumb is that you can never have more than 1 of your command tokens in the same system. If you use the Construction secondary ability to build, that system cannot be activated later on the same turn.

However, if you have already activated a system, you can still build there. Instead of placing a second command token in the system, the token taken from your strategy pool to activate the Construction secondary ability goes to your reinforcements instead.

jerkyroot wrote:
4) The technology card "HYPER METABOLISM" says "During the status phase, gain 2 command tokens instead of 1." But in the rules of the status phase it already says to gain 2 command tokens from your reinforcements. As written that technology card does nothing. Is this correct (why have the card then?)? Or are the rules in the book or on the card misprinted?
I played it as getting 1 extra command token in the status phase. So 3 command tokens per status phase.

Correct. This is a known error on the cards.

jerkyroot wrote:
I am sure there will be more coming up as we dig into this game but that is it for now. Really glad i did a walk-through to get some of these issues worked out ahead of time.

All of these questions and more are included in the Living Rule Reference, which FFG updates periodically. You can find the current version 1.1 online at:

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/3a/fc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.