Subject: Few rules questions after first game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aksel De Meester
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
We bought this game during the last hours of the Essen fair, from a few Spaniards who seemed exhausted but still were very much enthusiastic to explain. Opened it only now, and we regret we didn't do this earlier. My wife and kids of 11 & 13 enjoyed this very much as well. Very interactive, some game mechanics which were new to us, actually pretty fast and enough options for ever changing strategies... good fun!

Still, a few questions which were not immediately clear, neither after browsing the BGG forum or reading the FAQ.
1) the consultants: are they all 'use once per round', or only once? I read in a thread the head hunter is to be used only once (logically), but it is less logical for the other roles. Could it be indicated per consultant?

2)in the Drill action: "... you may pull...". It took us a while to ascertain it really meant this is an optional step (the word "option(al)" would make it easier to understand); we've never done this, as we felt the risk is greater than the benefit (only when you are substantially present in that region)... do we underestimate the benefit? Or asked differently: do you often take the risk?

3) Similar question as (2) for the drawing the red barrel: are there (many) occasions when one wants to risk drawing an additional barrel after having drawn a red one?

4) Peak Oil phase: do all consultants remain active? E.g. branding strategist or Local Rep? (for sure not the Dealmaker)

5) during Peak Oil phase we had coincidentally this situation: player 1 makes PO and has no Agent on spot X, player 2 has 1 agent, player 3 has 2, and player 4 also has 2. Reading the rules strictly, i.e. there is nobody who has relative majority, player 2 can go first, even though he only has 1 agent present. Is this a correct interpretation/intention?

6) Peak Oil phase: it is stated that Oil field cards and start ups cards can't be replenished. Is it understood that also the rule is dropped that the 3 cards can be changed if e.g. the first agent doesn't like them? If so, it would be good to mention explicitly that when PO starts, no cards can be taken from deck anymore.

7) Did we assume correctly that for the Grey Ops actions during Peak Oil, it is not necessary to pay the barrel to the black market anymore (as it is only executing one action)?

Apologies if any of these questions is simply answered by reading the rules better (or better browsing BGG :-))!

thanks for looking into this
Aksel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Rodriguez Samaniego
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Axsel!

First of all, many thanks for the kind words about the game

Here's one of the very tired Spaniards I will answer in line!

demeeste wrote:

1) the consultants: are they all 'use once per round', or only once? I read in a thread the head hunter is to be used only once (logically), but it is less logical for the other roles. Could it be indicated per consultant?

Most Consultants can be used all the time, since they only "activate" when something happens (like the Military Contractor). The Head Hunter is the only one that gets a single activation -> when you hire her.

demeeste wrote:
2)in the Drill action: "... you may pull...". It took us a while to ascertain it really meant this is an optional step (the word "option(al)" would make it easier to understand); we've never done this, as we felt the risk is greater than the benefit (only when you are substantially present in that region)... do we underestimate the benefit? Or asked differently: do you often take the risk?

Risk depends on the player! I DO risk A LOT, specially at the start of the game, when risk is lower. Remeber that when you take oilfield cards that have ALL question-mark barrel, you MUST draw all of them.

demeeste wrote:
3) Similar question as (2) for the drawing the red barrel: are there (many) occasions when one wants to risk drawing an additional barrel after having drawn a red one?

That really depends on the board state (you want to risk if you're going to get the oil) and the state of the bag (I would recommend to risk when there's a lot of black barrels left).

demeeste wrote:
4) Peak Oil phase: do all consultants remain active? E.g. branding strategist or Local Rep? (for sure not the Dealmaker)

YES

demeeste wrote:
5) during Peak Oil phase we had coincidentally this situation: player 1 makes PO and has no Agent on spot X, player 2 has 1 agent, player 3 has 2, and player 4 also has 2. Reading the rules strictly, i.e. there is nobody who has relative majority, player 2 can go first, even though he only has 1 agent present. Is this a correct interpretation/intention?

No, in that case the order would be: Player 3 (2 agents, and he's the closest to PO), Player 4 (2 agents, but he's farther from player 1 than player 3), Player 2 (has 1 agent)

demeeste wrote:
6) Peak Oil phase: it is stated that Oil field cards and start ups cards can't be replenished. Is it understood that also the rule is dropped that the 3 cards can be changed if e.g. the first agent doesn't like them? If so, it would be good to mention explicitly that when PO starts, no cards can be taken from deck anymore.

Yes, overlook on our part. You can't "refresh" oilfields nor start-ups during PO.

demeeste wrote:
7) Did we assume correctly that for the Grey Ops actions during Peak Oil, it is not necessary to pay the barrel to the black market anymore (as it is only executing one action)?

Not correct: You always pay the black barrel to the black market when taking action(s) on Grey Ops. You need to pay for the favor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.