Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a difference between the original release with expansions and the new big box? Asking in case I come across trades/ sales with the expansions and I wanted to have a better idea of the respective editions.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From my reading:
- There is no difference as far as the building goes
- The original game had wooden discs for resources and workers, but the big box has meeples
- The rule book has been rewritten/overhauled
- There are a few minor issues with the big box (see other threads), namely:

- The color and shape of the cows and the horses is very similar which can lead to confusion if one is not careful
- There are some discrepancies in the iconography on some of the tiles (at least one) and in the rule book (the big box changed all the iconography to meeples, but forgot to make the update on some tiles.

Appart from that, they are equivalent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Add much improved wording and a complete overhaul of the rule book to the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification Grzegorz, I've augmented my initial response.

I also thought I'd add some of my comments after further examining my copy of the game:

1- The first player token - which was a man/woman token - is now a rooster. I get the idea, but I prefer the original design of a man/women token.

2- For the resource multipliers, there used to be an animal with the number 4 inside (to show you own 4 of that animal) whereas now they have drawn 4 of the animal in a stack. Again, I much preferred the old design which was very clear, whereas now you could be tempted to think the multiplier is for 5 animals, unless you count then (which isn't so obvious since they are stacked).

3- The new blue paint for the farmers seems odd. I don't know if it is because I played (and loved) so much the old game, but I miss the old marine blue that has been replaced with a somewhat turquoise blue (that also doesn't match the blue tokens used in Caverna or Agricola). Not to my liking.

4- I know it's called "big box", but the box is 50% oversize for no apparent reason. All 2 expansions could fit very well in the original square box, so why make it a bigger box when there is no new components? I know, marketing to justify the price, but still. If at least there was an insert.

5- The addition of meeples instead of discs is definitely an improvement, but the wood/stone/reed meeples are thinner than the Caverna resources; I wish they were identical. Now they just look cheap to me (yet, it is better than the discs from the original game). I can't imagine the price saving is that much, and it would be nice if those resources (wood, stone, grain, etc.) was 100% consistent across all lookout games (Caverna, stone is grey, in this game, it is black).

6- I may be over analyzing, but it seemed that the score pad is thinner than the one in the original game...?

7- On the positive side, to differentiate the basic tiles and the expansion tiles, the back of the 4 basic tiles have been colored yellow. In the original game, it was the expansion tiles that had an extra bird drawn on the backside. The new design is a great idea to pick those 4 tiles for game setup.

That's it for now. This is still a GREAT GAME - one of my favorite. It is just that being a fan, my expectations were higher for this reprint (and my OCD is annoyed at the cow/iconography issues). I think I wished I had kept my original game with both expansions instead of selling them to buy the big box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
Add much improved wording and a complete overhaul of the rule book to the list.

Is the new rulebook posted?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Lookout went with Light blue for blue for all Agricola releases since Revised (Revised and Family Edition both have the same light blue). Weirdly the also lightened the green too in the 5-6 expansion for Revised (probably to match with the green in Family). So, most likely why they went with a different blue than in classic. The resources were pretty thin too in Revised and the stone was black too (I guess to keep the color the same as the original editions of Agricola). Can't comment on the Horse/Cow conundrum, personally. At least bolstering the stone isn't too much of a pain as the Coal from Meeplesource will fit in with the symbology (at least in Revised). I can understand if they wanted to bring everything up to 'parity' with the Revised and Family editions. Family Edition also uses the Rooster for the first player marker, while Revised uses a yellow pawn (instead of the cylinder).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameSnake wrote:
4- I know it's called "big box", but the box is 50% oversize for no apparent reason. All 2 expansions could fit very well in the original square box, so why make it a bigger box when there is no new components? I know, marketing to justify the price, but still. If at least there was an insert.

5- The addition of meeples instead of discs is definitely an improvement, but the wood/stone/reed meeples are thinner than the Caverna resources; I wish they were identical. Now they just look cheap to me (yet, it is better than the discs from the original game). I can't imagine the price saving is that much, and it would be nice if those resources (wood, stone, grain, etc.) was 100% consistent across all lookout games (Caverna, stone is grey, in this game, it is black).

4 - I had already upgraded my components with meeples for the farmers and resourceeples for the resources and the lot did not fit into the base box. I'm not saying the new box isn't oversized (although, that will continue as long as brick & mortar stores exist, I suspect), I've never seen it. But the old box is not large enough to hold the game, the expansions, AND upgraded components (all bagged, of course). I need one of the expansion boxes to fit what doesn't fit in the original box (which, I admit, isn't much, just the tiles from the expansions).

5 - Caverna is the outlier, not ACBAS. Agricola has used black stone for as long back as I can recall.

Also, thanks for all this, I feel that my original edition with Outlook's components obtained separately sounds better than this new edition. A load off my first world shoulders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter BOSCO'S
United States
Anchorage
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameSnake wrote:

So you have room for future expansions if (when?) they do them. This is Asmodee, after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanno Girke
Germany
Schwabenheim an der Selz
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boscos wrote:
GameSnake wrote:

So you have room for future expansions if (when?) they do them. This is Asmodee, after all.

This box was requested by the US distribution way back when Mayfair still existed. The box size was chosen for two reasons - one to have larger punch sheets and a larger format rulebook; two to have the game in the same price range as similar games with a similar box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanno wrote:
Boscos wrote:
GameSnake wrote:

This box was requested by the US distribution way back when Mayfair still existed. The box size was chosen for two reasons - one to have larger punch sheets and a larger format rulebook; two to have the game in the same price range as similar games with a similar box.

That is SUPER interesting. While all of those reasons make sense, I'd rather have it in the smaller 2-player size box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.