Roy Subs
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Fellowship moved 10 without being revealed in our game last night. At the start of next turn, Free choose to declare directly into Mordor via Moria (which contains the Balrog). Now, either:

1. Eyes are added into the Hunt Pool before the Balrog tile check. If an Eye is pulled, then the Balrog + Guide are eliminated, and only **3** Eye's are left in the Hunt Pool for Mordor.

2. Eyes are added into the Hunt Pool after the Balrog tile check. If an Eye is pulled, then the Balrog + Guide are eliminated, and then that Eye is readded to the Hunt Pool so that **4** Eye's are in the Hunt Pool for Mordor.

(Base game rulebook p.43): "If the Fellowship is in Minas Morgul or Morannon during a Fellowship Phase, the Free Peoples player may decide to enter Mordor. In this case, immediately proceed to the following steps (after fully resolving the declaration of the Fellowship's position, if necessary)" then "2) Create a new Hunt Pool by placing all Eye tiles previously drawn back with the remaining tiles of the Hunt Pool"

So I think that the following seems to be the complete order:

1. First (for a declare into a Free Stronghold or City only), if Smeagol is Guide, he must leave as per his card. Note: this always happens first (even though this is counter-intuitive, as although clearly the encounter with the Balrog would happen before entering the Stronghold, this ruling is followed to conform with the rules).

2. Next (for a declare into a Free Stronghold or City only), one point of Corruption is healed if the Stronghold or City is not conquered.

3. Next, for declaring or for being revealed, resolve all special effects first (Balrog card, Balrog LOME, The Gates Are Closed) in whatever order the Shadow player would like to do these (again, if declaring into a Free Stronghold or City, it seems counter-intuitive to deal with this after resolving entry to the Stronghold or City, but this is the correct order).

4. Next, resolve any Stronghold tiles that apply (could be 2 tiles to draw here if, for example, the Fellowship was revealed at step 10 while at Rivendell and chooses to go through Moria to end at Minas Morgul).

5. Finally, if this declaration was into Mordor, all of the above must be done before refilling the Hunt Pool for Mordor (so if all 4 eyes were pulled by the above actions, those Eyes will go back into the Hunt Pool for Mordor).

- One (and only one) Play-on-table card may be used against each of these tile draws (i.e. Axe and Bow, or Horn of Gondor, only one against each given Hunt tile draw).
- Galadriel could use her Nenya ability to cancel a drawn standard Eye tile and remove it from the game to be replaced by a new tile draw in any of the above.
- If both Hobbits of the Shire are still in the Fellowship, and one of them is the Guide, their Guide ability can be used to cancel any standard Hunt tile drawn in any of the above (unlike Galadriel, no replacement tile is drawn and this is not destroying the Eye, so if this is done outside of Mordor, a cancelled Eye would be refilled into the Mordor Pool).
- If at any point in the above, the Hunt Pool is emptied, immediately refill all tiles back into the Hunt Pool. i.e. Not just Eye's, but every tile, except for special blue/red tiles, must go back into the Hunt Pool.

With the above, up to 5 tile draws could happen on a single move. e.g. Moving to step 10, the Hunt is a success and the Fellowship gets revealed straight into Minas Morgul from Rivendell:
Tile 1 : The tile drawn during the Hunt, showing a reveal icon.
Tile 2 : Balrog of Moria tile
Tile 3 : The Gates Are Closed tile
Tile 4 : Moria Stronghold tile
Tile 5 : Minas Morgul Stronghold tile

Is this all correct? Not sure if the Play-on-table point above is correct - it might be that only one card can be used during the entire resolution?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's all correct. One "play on the table" card may be used for each Hunt tile draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roysubs wrote:
The Fellowship moved 10 without being revealed in our game last night.

Little known rule: when this happens, the Free People player must punch themself in the face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Subs
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the first time I've ever done it in 300 games Craig! I did make 10 moves one other time, but I was revealed on the 10th step so had to take Stronghold tiles for Moria + Minas Morgul. It is quite maddening for the Shadow player when this happens for sure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heikki Laakkonen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roysubs wrote:
That's the first time I've ever done it in 300 games Craig! I did make 10 moves one other time, but I was revealed on the 10th step so had to take Stronghold tiles for Moria + Minas Morgul. It is quite maddening for the Shadow player when this happens for sure

Heh, during my first few dozen games or so the Fellowship managed to get to Mordor several times without being revealed (and the hunt was always played correctly). It happened often enough that I was even wondering if that is the usual thing to happen (at that time I had not familiarized myself with the hunt tiles that well).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.