BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Posting Products rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rod boggess
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
As a DM, I hate funky dice. I mean, like most DMs, I collect funky dice, so I don't have anything against them, but at the table, it can be difficult when someone's choice of dice get in the way of the game. That said, I'm always on the lookout for a way to make secret die rolls without the characters suspecting things. We've all done the passive perception checks when there were things to be seen, only to have the characters to eventually realize, that, hey, if he's rolling, there must be something here. Then you move on to random die rolling to avoid suspicion. I sort of like to make things seem poignant (the sky is especially blue today) when the roll is a natural 20. It's fun for a while, but this too reveals that there's nothing there, and so on.

So, when I found a set of dice that are not only collectibly, objectively beautiful, but also spin like a top, I thought I would share. Only I don't want to post Kickstarter links if it'd be viewed by the community as telemarketing.

So, is that tacky? If not, is there a place on here for DMs or PRGs? Actually, I'd like the answer to the second question, regardless of the answer to the first. Is there a place here for RPG enthusiasts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
knockNrod wrote:
So, is that tacky? If not, is there a place on here for DMs or PRGs? Actually, I'd like the answer to the second question, regardless of the answer to the first. Is there a place here for RPG enthusiasts?

Well, if you go to the very top of this page, between "Board Games" and "Video Games" there is button that says "RPGs" that will take you to RPG Geek. That said, I think most of the local guild forums and Chit Chat are linked between all three sites. So depending on where you post, you may be cross posting without realizing it.

Regarding the first question, I don't particularly think its tacky provided it posted in the correct forum (probably this one?), but there are people who will invariable accuse you of working for the Kickstart project and being a sleeper poster.
So you're get to end up taking some slack even if you post correctly. I'm honestly not sure what the site policy is on stuff like this since I don't frequent the "general" forums very often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also this: Forum: Crowdfunding-Kickstarting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume you roll behind a screen? Why not use a dicerolling app on your phone for those "secret" rolls?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
knockNrod wrote:
So, when I found a set of dice that are not only collectibly, objectively beautiful, but also spin like a top...

Someone recently rolled a d20(?) by spinning it. It didn't seem important enough to call him on it, but it was not a fair roll: the chance of one of the bottom facets coming up would be very low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
knockNrod wrote:
So, when I found a set of dice that are not only collectibly, objectively beautiful, but also spin like a top...

Someone recently rolled a d20(?) by spinning it. It didn't seem important enough to call him on it, but it was not a fair roll: the chance of one of the bottom facets coming up would be very low.
It wasn’t me, I swear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If I was truly the product of “Intelligent Design,” I’m pretty sure my fingers would be smaller or my nose would be bigger.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmb
knockNrod wrote:
That said, I'm always on the lookout for a way to make secret die rolls without the characters suspecting things. We've all done the passive perception checks when there were things to be seen, only to have the characters eventually realize, that, hey, if he's rolling, there must be something here. Then you move on to random die rolling to avoid suspicion.

What I've always done is (if there's room on the table) have two or three large (16 - 20 oz.) opaque plastic cups sitting within my reach, each with a different set of dice inside. Every so often, when a player says "I'm doing such-and-such action" I'll pick up the appropriate cup, give it a shake or two, then peer inside. I shake it again as I set it down, just in case anyone tries peering inside to see what the roll was. Sometimes the die roll is genuine (checking for wandering monsters, etc.) and sometimes it's random to keep the party on their toes.

I'll also randomly ask different players what their passive perception percentage is for various skills (sloping passages, hidden doors, traps, etc.), roll the hidden percentile dice, then announce "No, you didn't spot anything". They don't know if there was something to find and they just failed, or if there wasn't anything there at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.