Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Leaving Earth» Forums » Rules

Subject: Docking and transferring some components requires two rendezvous attempts? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I want to transfer SOME but not all components from spaceship B to spaceship A, I would first need to perform a rendezvous attempt to transfer ALL components from B to A, thus removing B. Then I would need to make a second rendezvous attempt to re-create B with those components on A I didn't really want to transfer in the first place. Thus, partial transfer of components from B to A requires two Rendezvous attempts.

Is that correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colby Brown
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, if you successfully rendezvous two spaceships, you are allowed to freely move as many or as few components between them as you would like.

Edit: Ignore me, I don't know what I'm talking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brobo wrote:
No, if you successfully rendezvous two spaceships, you are allowed to freely move as many or as few components between them as you would like.

That would make sense, but there's this blurb from v4n of the rules...

Quote:
Take all the components off of one and place them on the spacecraft card of the other. Remove the empty spacecraft's token from the location.

Separating works the same way in reverse: choose a spacecraft, draw an outcome from Rendezvous. If successful split the spacecraft in two.

Perhaps it is an oversight in the rules, or perhaps it is intentional, but the two paragraphs above seem to suggest that you have to make two Rendezvous attempts as I described in my original post. The rules don't explicitly say you can dock with two and transfer some of the components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wardell
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
May 25
badge
I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed.
mbmbmbmbmb
brobo wrote:

This definitely wasn't true in the first edition. Did they change the Rendezvous rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
saxophone wrote:
If I want to transfer SOME but not all components from spaceship B to spaceship A, I would first need to perform a rendezvous attempt to transfer ALL components from B to A, thus removing B. Then I would need to make a second rendezvous attempt to re-create B with those components on A I didn't really want to transfer in the first place. Thus, partial transfer of components from B to A requires two Rendezvous attempts.

Is that correct?

Yes, that's correct. Here's an example for anyone else reading this:

1) Start with two spacecraft: A = probe + Juno, B = Atlas.
2) Dock the two spacecraft together into one (drawing from Rendezvous): A = probe + Juno + Atlas.
3) Separate it apart into two spacecraft (drawing from Rendezvous): A = Juno, B = probe + Atlas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Docking two spacecraft together makes them into a single spacecraft. Once they're docked, it's no longer meaningful to talk about transferring components, as they're now fused into a single craft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colby Brown
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I was completely wrong. Don't know where I got that idea from. I've strike-throughed my post so others reading this don't get confused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.