Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Tang Garden» Forums » General

Subject: Landscapes - anybody foresee them getting bent/damaged when in the board? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
msg tools
Does anybody foresee any issues developing over time with placing the landscapes in the slots on the board? Of course cardboard can split/wear down over time with use, especially if repeatedly inserting edges into slots, so I'm a bit fearful that maybe the bottom tabs of the landscapes might start splitting and become difficult to insert over time, as the tabs don't seem to be very deep - just enough to set into the board. I also fear one clumsy move might crush/bend a landscape back down, forever folding /damaging that landscape.

Just a thought. The game looks gorgeous of course, but any time there are fancy cardboard props, I start to get nervous. This is an expensive game and it would be sad if by accident or just during use those tabs get bent. If so there would be no way to get them to stand without uglying up the landscape pieces with a hack.

I kind of wish they were on stand-up bases instead of inserting the tabs into the slots constantly.

Thinking about it more, I suppose anyone who was worried about this could just use some plastic bases that some games use for cardboard meeples, and just pop the landscapes in those - 1 base on the left side and 1 on the right, or maybe even 1 in the center would be enough. Then you woulnd't always be inserting them over and over into the slots on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marton Fono
Hungary
flag msg tools
I was also thinking of the same possible issue, and I recall someone dropped this topic in the comments section of the KS page. No replies, though.

The landscape boards will have black core, this should give them a boost in stregth, but I don't think this would be enough to handle the usage over time. Also, whatever core they'll use, it doesn't help with the accidental moves you mentioned...

Using plastic bases is a good idea. However, AFAIK we don't know how thick these cardboard components will be, and will there be a suitable base. The only thing I can bring up against them is the game can show its full glory in the way the designer planned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Thanks for your input.

I like the usage of black core, for strength, but I doubt that would help at the edge where you'll be inserting it into the board - that's where it will likely start fraying. I know you only insert each landscape into the board once each game, but it could still wear on that edge. And as I mentioned, one accidental bump against an inserted landscape could be very bad news for that piece, and maybe even the main board.

It might take some experimentation with finding just the right small bases to use for the landscapes, so it's not so tight that it damages the landscapes but not so loose that they don't hold the landscapes firmly enough, but I think that might be the best way to guarantee the long-term longevity of the game. The bases might detract slightly from the look of the game, since as designed, the boards hold the landscapes perfectly aligned and straight. But at least if you accidentally whack a landscape tile on a base, it will just tip over, not get crunched or bend at the tab.

I still haven't made a decision on if I should go for this game or not. But being quite expensive, especially with expansions and add-ons factored in, the first thing I think about is if the game will hold up to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
I noticed there was one reply in the Kicksatrter thread about wear and tear on the landcapes. The reply was:

"That was the point of the black foam core stretch goal. The panoramas will be much more durable now. Of course, as with anything, the more you abuse the pieces, the shorter their life."

The thing I wonder is, black core or not, I imagine the bottom edge that is inserted could still fray I imagine. I could imagine the front or back artwork starting to peel at the corners or edge where it's inserted into the board over time. I don't know how black core could protect against the edge peeling. Maybe I'm wrong.

In the videos I watched, the landscapes do look pretty thick, even before the black core. But regardless of thickness, it's the art glued onto the cardboard that I imagine could start getting worn or frayed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marton Fono
Hungary
flag msg tools
I guess nothing could save the inserted landscapes when you accidentally bump into them, so for this issue, the plastic bases can be a solution.

If one opts for not using them, the edge peeling might be an issue indeed. I think we'll have to wait and see how it works out. I was thinking of there might be some sort of transparent glue or lacker that the bottom of the landscape tiles could be coated with. But that's a rather rough solution, I'll keep that as a last resort

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
fono wrote:
I guess nothing could save the inserted landscapes when you accidentally bump into them, so for this issue, the plastic bases can be a solution.

If one opts for not using them, the edge peeling might be an issue indeed. I think we'll have to wait and see how it works out. I was thinking of there might be some sort of transparent glue or lacker that the bottom of the landscape tiles could be coated with. But that's a rather rough solution, I'll keep that as a last resort

I think if the bottom tab was layered with some type of lacquer or coating, it could help a lot with that concern (although as you said it woulnd't help with accidents). Though I'd be afraid to try it out and ruin a piece. Maybe trying it on a test piece of leftover punchout material first. Only the bottom tab would need the coating to be protected, but I don't know how well it would work to just coat the bottom, as I've never tired anything like that. The coating might just peel if the whole piece isn't covered. Or maybe it would just scrape off anyways after a few uses.

I wish they hadn't gone with the slots idea - while it looks inventive and makes for a unique board as it's being built up, the possibility of an accident with people reaching over the board constantly, and the possibility of the tabs fraying over time, makes me nervous. It's an expensive game and I'd hate for it to get damaged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
I've been watching some reviews on Everdell and many mention the likelihood of the tree fraying if you disassemble and reassemble it each time, as is required. There are even some posts already about that happening (with pictures).

The more I hear about that, the more I worry this game will have the same issue with those landscapes. Regardless of what the core is or how thick and strong they are, unless the landscapes are entirely coated with some kind of durable finish or lacquer, they will fray at the bottom edges where you insert them into the board. There's no way they wouldn't. Cardboard frays when you pick at the edges. Inserting and removing them repeatedly from the board will wear at the bottom edge, where it will start to peel at the outer printing layer. Once the printing layer starts fraying, it will get worse rapidly as inserting it into the board once it is frayed will quickly make it worse.

I imagine some wear on the board itself may also happen at those slots, unless those too are reinforced.

And as I mentioned, accidents could really go badly. People will need to be careful when playing this. One whack with the arm against a landscape could do permanent damage to the landscape or the board. But even ruling out accidents, the edge fraying has me concerned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.