Gaia Project» Forums » Strategy

Subject: RL+TS+2M - what am I missing as just short. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Auton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Loving the solo challenge on this one - similair to chess with opening moves, mid game and then closing to gain the VP's.

I have read from some strategy posts the following:

RL+TS+2M:
Needs 15c, 9o. Solid overall opening with no weak spots. Requires +2o (usually 4pw act), home planet within 3 and boost/1dig to get 2nd Mine. Usually the person in #1 spot can do this opening because they have the highest chance of 2o. Expansion races can do this opener easier because they usually can use Nav/get extra qic to hit the 9o or get to 2nd Mine.

I have followed the solo setup and playing HH. However can someone please clarify my understand of the RL+TS+2M - and what am I missing?

After my opening booster +1o and HH starting bonus of +2c via upgrades + income I have: 20c 4k 8o (2 mines on my home planets).

1st move - upgrade M to TS cost 3c 2o (within neighbouring area)

Results - 17c 4k 5o. 1m + 1TS

2nd move - upgrade TS to RL cost 5c 3o. I take the tech upgrade on 'terraforming' lvl 1 +2o bonus

Results - 12c 4k 4o 1m + 1RL

3rd move - Research Progress lvl 2 'terraforming'

Results - 12c 0k 4o 1m + 1RL

4th move - upgrade mine to TS cost 6c 2o

Results - 6c 0k 2o 1TS + 1RL

At this point i am short of 1o to build a single mine (1o +2o for terraform). I can use the QIC to buy be the final 1o. But no way am I going to hit the 2nd m.

Few questions based on what I have above
1) Am I doing things right so far ?
2) What happens if I did not have the +1o bonus ?
3) Is there anyway I can use/create pwr ? At the minute I am sitting with 5 pwr in phase 2 and 1 pwr in phase 1.

Thanks - really interesting to read on common opening rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
autonm wrote:

3rd move - Research Progress lvl 2 'terraforming'

Results - 12c 0k 4o 1m + 1RL

4th move - upgrade mine to TS cost 6c 2o

Results - 6c 0k 2o 1TS + 1RL

At this point i am short of 1o to build a single mine (1o +2o for terraform). I can use the QIC to buy be the final 1o. But no way am I going to hit the 2nd m.

This is an incorrect assumption. You are not "terraforming" using Ore to achieve this opener

You build 1 Mine by using qic to jump to a native planet within 3.

For the 2nd mine, you build it by:
taking the 3pw terraforming action (or 5pw)
using 1 terraforming boost
using +3 range boost to get to 4 range and building on another native planet
using qic boost to hit a 2nd native planet within 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Auton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Interesting thanks .. learnt a few things there.

So a home planet requires no terraforming step is needed. Ive missed that in the rules. So it would just cost me 1o and not the 1o + 'x'o for Terraform steps.

That also means I dont have to waste my upgrades on the terraform stack. I could have upgraded on the Navigation or AI to gain a 2nd QIC.

Regarding use of pw - how at this early stage are you powering into phase 3, so that you can use them ? As I mentioned I 5pw sitting in phase 2 and 1pw in phase 3.

I think that sounds right .. thank you for nudging me in the right direction.

...(edit) - I could discard a pw to push a 2nd pw in phase 3... I would have to do this twice though to get the 3pw. Then I could trade the 3 to gain a free terraform step, for a close enough planet to just cost me the base 1o

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normal races start 4/2/0

To get to 3pw in pool3, you need to charge 7. Or discard some power in pool2 to push some to pool3.

It’s common to passively charge 8-14pw in round 1 by starting next to neighbors. Also building a RL and taking the charge 4 tile is very common as it’s the best/most flexible tile

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
I should point out (if it's not obvious) that this opening is far more opportunistic with lower player count numbers. I find it's frequently impossible to pull off in 2p games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PROJ wrote:
I should point out (if it's not obvious) that this opening is far more opportunistic with lower player count numbers. I find it's frequently impossible to pull off in 2p games.

This is true, as playing keep away is viable in 2p. I would advise different opener if you think that’s going to happen in a game

However even in 3p, it’s very common to build next to each other. Otherwise if you build away and the other 2 build close, they help each other and you lose out. Might as well join the party

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kern
msg tools
In 2p you can open RL+TS+M if your opponent is doing a similarly poor opening. I would prioritize Economy level 2 in such instances. However, your opponent can't usually stop RL+4M openings very easily so it is important to consider that as an alternative to RL+TS+M + Economy Level 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kern
msg tools
Also, unless you are a true expert in a very specific situation, never pay more than 1 ore for a terraform step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Auton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
thanks all - appreciate the comments... deep game eh !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahle
Sweden
flag msg tools
autonm wrote:
After my opening booster +1o and HH starting bonus of +2c via upgrades + income I have: 20c 4k 7o (2 mines on my home planets).
Just wanted to let you know that you should have 8 ore for first round with that opening booster. Start 4, Income 3, Boost 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.