Subject: Longest Road and Knight Displacement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nick johnson
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Hi All,

My question is who does longest road revert to when the current player with longest road has their road interrupted and the next two players are tied?

Scenario that occurred:

On Player A's turn they: 1. built two roads to bring their total roads to seven. 2. built and activated a knight to interrupt Player B's longest road of eight bringing it to five.

Now, both Player A and C have seven roads. Player C was the first to achieve the longest road card. It was taken by B when they achieved eight roads.

Who now holds the longest road card Player A or C?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Jensen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
njbooks wrote:
who does longest road revert to when the current player with longest road has their road interrupted and the next two players are tied?

Nobody. Tie usually goes to who had the longest road first. Since this isn't the case, I would say nobody gets it.

I'm pretty sure though, it won't be long before one of the two tied players claims it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer is on the bottom left of page 9 of the Almanac (in the English rules). If no-one qualifies (has a road of length 5), or if there's a tie in which the current holder of the longest road does not participate, the card is set aside. It returns when someone can claim the longest road without being tied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nedarb Noslein
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about this:

I nearly had a scenario where it was not my turn, but another player (whose turn it also was not) was at 11 victory points, and I was at 12. The barbarians hit, and because I had the most Knights out, I received a victory point for being the Defender of Catan. However, my opponent also received TWO victory points after they hit because an opponent's knight that was in the middle of his longest road became deactivated, thereby allowing him to take the longest road from one of the other players in the game.

Who would have really won in this scenario?

I came to the assumption that I would have won, as receiving the Defender of Catan card technically would have come first (I guess), but then again, I would almost have wanted to declare that we were tied, and the first one to get to 14 would win, as it was currently a tie. However, that would have made it possible for other players in the game to compete to 14 VP with us as well.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jörg Baumgartner
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as any foreign knight is on an intersection between two of your roads, these roads count as non-continuous for determining longest road. (They may be counted by some other way if the road is circular, though.)

The knight must be removed from the intersection, e.g. by deactivating a stronger knight of your own on your same road network and moving it to that position, or by use of the blue intrigue progress card. Playing deserters on the owning player still leaves that player the choice to remove another knight, unless that knight is his last one.

A mighty knight (strength 3) can only be removed using the intrigue card.

If it is possible to bypass that intersection, the problem can be solved by building a few roads, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what's most important here is that you can only win on your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.