Greg H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For example, do all of the expansion cards have a symbol or something on them that might make it easier?

I ask because I found a copy of this at my FLGS but I've already kickstarted the second printing. So my thought was that I'd buy this now and then sell it when the second printing comes in. In order to do that I'll need to separate it first though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asbjørn Lie Parmer
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's easy to separate the cards - all the cards in the expansion have a little blue X in the bottom right corner, (where there would be an orange X on the base game card).

The tiles do not have similar markings, but they are easy enough to remember and identify because there are only 11 of them (and I believe their names are all mentioned in the rulebook).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
jazzbjorn wrote:
It's easy to separate the cards - all the cards in the expansion have a little blue X in the bottom right corner, (where there would be an orange X on the base game card).

The tiles do not have similar markings, but they are easy enough to remember and identify because there are only 11 of them (and I believe their names are all mentioned in the rulebook).

That, and none of the tiles in the expansion have spawn points In the base game, I think only the Lost Sector and Xia itself had no spawn points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that hard, but the real question is why you would ever want to separate them? After having played Embers, I don't think I would even want to play Xia without the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
Not that hard, but the real question is why you would ever want to separate them? After having played Embers, I don't think I would even want to play Xia without the expansion.

I have the second printing of the expansion on order from Kickstarter, so I'll remove and sell the first printing when it arrives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Were there changes in the new edition that made you want the second printing? I just backed for Missions and Powers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I have the second printing of the expansion on order from Kickstarter, so I'll remove and sell the first printing when it arrives.
Why? They are identical. It's got to be easier to sell a copy that is unpunched and in shrink wrap. It is not a new edition, just another print run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DiceAdmiral wrote:
Ender02 wrote:

The only difference between the two editions is the thickness of the player boards. I guess you could swap them out if you really wanted yours to match the new ones in Embers. Other than that, there is no real reason to swap out the entire games. You're better off selling the new one that's still factory sealed. You would be able to get more for it I would think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me add my voice to the choir.

Many expansions make the base game bigger without making it better. Forsaken Star is NOT one of these. It makes gameplay smoother; the Economy Board is great at keeping too-close-together Trade Planets from turning merchants into runaway leaders; the new mechanics are interesting and meld with the existing rules seamlesslyb, multiplying the possible strategies.

There's no compelling argument for splitting the game up. The level of difficulty is unchanged, but your options are broader.

BTW, I was a playtester for the new all-cards expansion. You certainly do not need it to play a satisfying game of Xia... but it REALLY spices things up, with more player interaction and more basic ships to choose from. My group has the poorly constructed cards from our playtests mixed in to our deck. These cards are just tagboard prints, cut by hand, and they look awful shuffled into the deck... but no player wants to play without thenew missions types and ship powers. The are not indespensible, but they are goood...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:

BTW, I was a playtester for the new all-cards expansion. You certainly do not need it to play a satisfying game of Xia... but it REALLY spices things up, with more player interaction and more basic ships to choose from. My group has the poorly constructed cards from our playtests mixed in to our deck. These cards are just tagboard prints, cut by hand, and they look awful shuffled into the deck... but no player wants to play without thenew missions types and ship powers. The are not indespensible, but they are goood...

I can second this. We too, still have our print and play playtest cards mixed in with the normal ones. Can't wait to get our hands on the real ones here soon. The new missions especially are almost a must have. I kind of wish that Cody would make a new pack of replacement cards for the original game and Embers missions that mimic the new format of the ones in the Missions and Powers expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.