Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boxer Santaros wrote:
Or, crazier idea, no money versions where you bring your own bank. Probably would be too much hassle for some folks, but just a thought.

Never work. You can't sell a game that is missing components. Everything you need to play needs to be in the box. If you buy it and don't want to use paper and decide to use chips or other methods instead, that's fine. You can't expect everyone to want to do that or have the components available to do it.

I get people hate paper money, but it is 1) functional and 2) inexpensive. In this case, it's also 3) thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tesla vs. Edison: War of Currents has the best paper money in a game I’ve seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bueschel
United States
Huntley
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
broggi wrote:
Tesla vs. Edison: War of Currents has the best paper money in a game I’ve seen.

Or Firefly: The Game also has some great paper money
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugen Bacic
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like a great and ambitious project. Our group loves this game and plays it regularly. We have the Deluxe wood box edition. But some things we noticed while playing that you might wish to keep in mind, though they may strictly be our own biases.

We dislike using the wooden cars and much prefer the cardboard chits for the cars. It would be nice to simply have nicely printed wooden versions of the chits with nicely done car art on each of the coloured pieces for the players. We find being able to stack the chits to be the easiest way to play the game.

Similarly with the factories, if they were wooden plaques as opposed to cardboard chits that would be great. I know some folks would love actual factories and maybe those would be ok but for whatever reason the cardboard just tends to work better. Maybe it's the uninspiring wooden pieces that push us towards the cardboard and a nice plastic factory might change our minds as the factories are reasonably static, as opposed to the cars.

The distributors would be best as some type of miniature or even a nice, transparent acrylic meeple or pawn.

None of us have an issue with the money. It's not really "paper" money per se and so we're happy with it. I think coins or cardboard would make it more of a pain. We looked at using various poker chips but it feels wrong. Use of polymer notes or similar would be fine in my group's opinion. Again, I'm sure others will disagree.

I'm sure minis or some other more visible representation of the six historical figures would be visually appealing.

The turn markers, etc. could be upgraded to some interesting cars from the era such as a Duisenberg or Cadillac of the era. Same for the other in game marker.

The demand tokens would be nice as wooden tiles. We were all surprised this wasn't the case in the Deluxe version and I'm sorely tempted to just create my own by repurposing some old Scrabble tiles :-).

We're fine with the research and loss cubes in the Deluxe game. Perhaps there's a way of making these more visually appealing, but we're indifferent.

Finally, the rules could use with a bit more clarity and examples. I'm sure there are plenty of fans on here willing to help in that regard.

If part of the Kickstarter was an upgrade pack that would be very interesting as I'm not so sure I'd want to buy a whole new edition.

Good luck with the effort. I'll be keeping an eye out for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb
Would the rights cover a re-skinning?
It strikes me that this could (relatively) easily be reskinned to cover the computer industry.
Though there are probably more automobile geeks than computer geeks, the reverse is probably true when you only consider game players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reskinning is tricky business, especially in this case. We have many examples (and Nanty Narking is the current poster child) for the chorus of people who clamor for the game mechanisms at any cost being diminished once the reality of the reskin takes hold. I'm certainly not opposed to new versions (the economic engine at the core of this is robust, and would survive some jiggery-pokery), but IMO the next one released should be the direct thematic reminder of why we love this game so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is cool. Here are some thoughts:

1) I like changing events in games. But they have the risk of helping some players more than others if they come as a surprise. Maybe put out 3 random events that trigger when players build a factory beyond one of the cards? Then players can see them in advance.

2) The game is particularly brutal to players who don’t play optimally in the first round. I’m not sure how to fix it. But it’s no fun to lose after round 1 (so I hear, I don’t lose...).

3) Would love to see more characters, with not all in play each round to reduce formulaic turns.

4) options to reduce automatic plays (like described in previous posts), like bonuses and goals for first to do something. That may push players in varied directions.

I’m the only one in my group that really likes the game, with the main complaints covered by my comments. I’m hoping you can win my group back!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd F
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boxer Santaros wrote:
What about money printed on cards?

+1. IMHO it's the flimsiness and the table space with paper money that are the main issues, so instead, print money (ahem) as cards. You can easily crop the salient parts of a normal bill to the portrait orientation of cards. Or, use a scattered pile of bills of each particular denomination as the card background.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Any updates here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well away from updates at the moment. I am starting a full-time gig that allows me to continue this project, but the last few weeks have been focused on my new employer. We'll pipe up when we've got something to pipe about.

Alex Yeager
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Perez
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New Year, any news?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. I've been settling into my new job with Steve Jackson Games, and that's been the majority of my attention. That said, there's been a bit of playtesting on the primary mini-expansion module, and the extended team will be getting an update in the next week or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Murphy
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Automobile is a fantastic game. I would play it anywhere, any time. And while I have never backed anything on Kickstarter, I would make an exception for Automobile--it's that good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Neyer
msg tools
I've been considering buying a copy of this off the market, but I'll wait if there's a Kickstarter coming soon. Any timeline yet on this? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loose Cannon
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made money tokens, for
ACQUIRE,
LEAVING EARTH,
And a version of Cashnguns for Star Wars.

The leaving earth ones, I made smaller, like Illuminati.

You can look through my BGG Gallery, to see the leaving earth ones.

I would love to design some money tokens for this project.
Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.