Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Highnote
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Our house rule allows us to use either side of the five Character Tiles: Investigator or Consultant, regardless of the number of actual players in the game.

Why should we have to find another friend or family member and coerce them to play with the promise of valuable snacks and beverages (since if they wanted to play, they would already be in), just so we can use the Investigator side of a card to get an Ability instead of the extra Skill? Or vice-versa (ie, Sorry, you can't play -- we want another Skill token, not another Authority-token-eating Ability).

I understand that there is supposed to be the roleplay element of each player being a particular Investigator, but a person can still roleplay the Consultant side if they choose it. And our group is good at reaching decisions without a fight, so we don't have the need for a particular person to have the ultimate choice of using the skill or ability from their card. We play well together.

Besides, like as indicated in the Designer's Notes, we've found that our group members identify more strongly with their functional roles than that of the person from the card. Instead of "Mia" or "Chris", we have our Note-Guy, Antares/Web-Guy, OCD-Board-Guy (can't keep their hands off the cards & tokens), What-Can-We-Do-Next-Guy (keeps track of the remaining leads & their locations) & Fat-Mouth-Walkin'-Guy (the one who starts talking the minute the casebook is opened, never sits down, and doesn't shut up until well over an hour after the game is over -- "Nah, you're not an Alpha, you're just a Fat Mouth Walkin'").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Johnson
United States
Seguin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds reasonable. The main goal is to have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fba827 fba827
United States
Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That's actually how my group intends to play as well: with only preview information so far I think we settled on 3 team members and 2 as skill-token consultants even though 4 of us expect to play.

I understand it's a house rule, etc etc but (like you) it's how it'll work best for my group.

We're looking it as:
The players are the detectives (and in our roles such as notetaker, board piece manipulator and narrator, computer guy, etc)
The chosen characters are part of our team (but specifically NOT who we are roleplaying as, just people on our team working with us)
The 'not chosen' characters are consultants that we refer to
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.