Henrik Larsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Good
Changes to Drafting with two players
When you play it as a two-player game, you swap the traditional 7-wonders style drafting for an open draft that refills every 2 turns, adding fresh cards to the mix. I really like this alternative to regular drafting.
I like what this does to the game, but I'm a bit curious to if Vangelis Bagiartakis considered the way Donald X. Vaccarino solved it in Greed a couple of years back.
The way it's done there is by having regular drafting, but having an "imaginary" player remove a card from the hand in-between players, and then adding a new card to it.
This retains the feel of the secret hand with the drafting, parts of the memory aspect (like it or hate it).

Engine Building
Comparing Fields of Green to Among the Stars you can see that Vangelis has grown as a designer. The mechanisms used and interactions between the cards are much more interwoven in Fields of Green. The feeling of building your own functioning farm is really present. You must get money to buy things that score points. Money comes from selling livestock. Producing livestock requires food. Food requires water and fields. It's one big "upgrade chain" that feels very natural as resources go from money to VP through these layers.

The Bad
Rebooting
Having played Among the Stars a couple of times, I have to say that I miss some of the mechanisms and features added to that game over the years. It's a shame that not more of these spects where brought over to Fields of Green. I especially miss The Ambassadors. I wish this "reboot" would've been more of a "master set", including everything that was good in Among the Stars.

Farming?
I don't mind the drab themes of euro-games, but I have to say that I've played more games of being a farmer thanks to sir Uwe, than I ever expected to do in my life.

The Verdict
I did enjoy the theme of building my own space station more than I do my farm. But I also enjoy the supply/demand chain of the farm more than the "score VP for adjacent type X".
I will keep both games, and I'm looking forward to playing the Fields of Green Grand Fair-expansion shipping to backers later this year.

I think it's a great game that provides enough replayability with the different cards and tiles to last a very long time.

I do hope it keeps getting support with additional content to the same extent as Among the Stars, but from the pace of things we've seen so far, it doesn't really seem like it. When this much time had passed from the release of Among the Stars, it felt like we had 2-3 expansions already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.