Kael
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hi everyone
I'm a new grad from Cal and during my time there I founded the Board Games at Berkeley club, a group that hosted game nights and events and tried to foster friendships through board games. While no longer a student I'm still heavily involved and have convinced the club members that we should hold a convention of our own on campus. Numerous other clubs, most notably the anime club, also hold similar events. As Uc Berkeley allows student organizations access to their huge ballroom once a year for free we thought this was too big an opportunity to miss.

Still, this would be our first big event. As the chairman and main person in charge of the event, I've been doing as much research as I can, trying to figure out how best to plan and execute the convention. We're still at a very formative state planning wise, the event will take likely place in the Spring and would be open to the general public. I was hoping to get your expertise and feedback as to how best to make this thing happen.
Thank you so much for your suggestions and feedback! Let me know if you have questions for me.

Here are some of the attractions we're planning to have.

Retail/local business stations (we have numerous stores in the Bay Area)

Board game Publishers areas (Blue Orange and University Games are in SF, should we spread the net wider? We've even contacted Riot Games)

Indie game developer tables

Game prototype/testing (ties into the above)

Competitive events including:
-Trivia
-Magic/Pokemon/Yu-Gi-Oh drafts
-Game design contest with members from the game crafter club on campus.

Thrift sale area (small surcharge for people who want to buy or trade)

Game library (Ask for temporary donations from club members to bolster library)

Other clubs
-Game crafters
-3D printing club
-Cal Animage Alpha
-Esports
-VR club
(We also plan to contact local gaming communities and invite them)

Video game area
-VR (tabletop simulator)

Panels and speakers
-Industry experts
-Pro gamers
-Designers
(I'm not sure the best way to find these speakers)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers conventions
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've written extensively on running small boardgaming conventions. You might get some useful ideas, templates, etc. from http://tinyurl.com/condirector

If you use anything, feedback would be welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kael
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks Eric!
Your pages are very informative! I appreciate the help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.