GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,439 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Shogun» Forums » General

Subject: Cube Tower use, according to the rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have heard a lot of complaints about the cube tower, but I can't see where they come from, if people clearly follow the rules.

The rules clearly state to add all cubes from both sides of battle to the dice tower simultaneously. My interpretation of this is to gather all of the cubes in my hand, shake them around a few times with my hands closed, then dump them in the funnel. This mixes them up pretty good, and reduces the chaotic nature others have reported.

Have others used this approach as well? If not, I recommend it. This seems the most true to the rules, and would help tame the chaotic nature some express in the cube tower, while still allowing for some uncertainty in the outcome of a battle.

Sure, a few times you will have had more of your cubes get caught (the most I have ever seen is 3 more cubes of one color caught than the opponent's number of cubes caught, and this is rare). I think it is more rare than having rolled a "12" while your opponent can only roll "6", especially when you take into account that caught cubes can influence future rounds of battle.

I also think it is a great parallel to actual battle with no increase in length of gameplay or complexity. Not everyone dies. Some retreat, to show up in later battles; some are wounded and need healing for various periods of time before returning; some few desert battle altogether in the heat of the moment and never return. It is not nations "returning from the dead" -- it is wounded or retreated soldiers helping out their compadres in future action rounds.

Sam

EDIT: If you are truly disgruntled about the cube tower and do find it is too random, simply open up the cube tower and remove the 'A' level. This will decrease the randomness. I personally will play with both levels for awhile, but Queen games has given you the flexibility to adapt the game somewhat to your style. I would make sure you inform people that you have modified the tower, though, before beginning play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only difficulty I have experienced with throwing them in from a cupped hand is that cubes sometimes stick to the skin and follow the rest after being flicked off. I now use a cup or a glass to ensure a thorough shake and a smooth delivery into the tower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giacomo Mangiarano
Italy
Castellana Grotte
(BA)
flag msg tools
Use the force
badge
Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen
mbmbmbmbmb
We use a plastic glass. We mix everything in and then all down in the tower.
Random effect warranty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cup/glass is an even better idea than the hand. I would recommend shaking the cup once or twice before tossing them down the chute just to mix them up some more, but your suggestion is very good.

Sam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shot glass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keimpe Visser
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I am completely ok with the idea of people using their own methods of throwing in the cubes.

The same with a die roll. Sometimes it slides, sometimes it rolls.

What puzzles me the most about the tower,

when a cube get's stuck in the corner, it will stay there the whole game!
Why haven't the makers chosen for a round cube?

Any ideas?

regards,

Keimpe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ArThouNot wrote:

Why haven't the makers chosen for a round cube?

I think cubes are used instead of spheres because 99.9% of all spheres thrown into the tower would roll out. It would just mean that the tower had no effect.

The cubes are supposed to get stuck and I guess some do get caught in a corner for the whole game. However the action of throwing a mass of cubes in is supposed to avalanche those stubborn residual cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keimpe Visser
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Yes i completely agree, that some cubes will get loose.

What i actually meant is a Round Tower.

Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess a cylinder has production issues and associated cost, but the end result would still have ledges and dead zones.

I dunno. I task you with building one, testing it for a few months and then reporting back with construction plans (in AutoCAD) and photos. Meanwhile I keep playing with the old square tower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Dovydaitis
United States
Carmichael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know those plastic containers that come out of the gumball type machines, with a little toy inside of them or something? About 2" diameter, shaped kind of like an acorn, with a cap? I find that it fits perfectly in the funnel in the box, and that is what I use.

I agree that some kind of cup is necessary to make it fair for all players.

Also, have you notices that the rules state that "a player" pours the cubes into the tower, without specifying which player? Interesting.

"Good Smeelbo always helps!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.