Walt Le
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Forgive my ignorance about US politics.

From what I can see from my research on the internet, if I:

- change the "President" wooden block to say "Electoral College", and

- change the "Chancellor" wooden block to say "President"

does this make sense in terms of what happens in US Politics?

That is, does the Electoral College elect who the President will be?

I think I'm simply going to put a sticky label over the "Chancellor" wooden block to change it to "Electoral College". And another label over the "Hitler" card which says "Trump".

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCue
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Electoral College elects who the President will be.

Back when the system was invented, the Electors used to be able to choose their votes, but not any more. Now their States dictate their votes. Once in a while a member of the Electoral College casts a vote differently from how his or her State commanded; different States have different penalties for this (including jail time, which I don't think has ever happened, but you could google "faithless elector," which is the term for such people) but I don't think those deviant votes have ever made a difference, and in general the Electors act like robots the way they are supposed to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Phillips
United States
Middlesex
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Still ‘ignorant’ about US Politics even after completing internet ‘research’?

You could just tape over the Chancellor and leave President as is.

Enjoy the ‘retheme’. Geez
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCue
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Harsh. I suspect that I would have a few questions about Australian politics, even after having done some reading on the Internet. You might, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt Le
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Brian

Yes I wanted to check that I wasn't missing something.

Plus it is strange to me that it's called a college, which is a school or university in Australia.

Yes thanks there's a lot of things I don't understand about US politics.

For example, I don't understand why the USA has mid term elections. All of our elections are "full term" elections, unless someone resigns, dies or is otherwise ineligible.

As regards Australian politics, did you know our conservative party is called the Liberal Party? (Or the Liberal National Party, as they mostly join with the National Party.) I realise the word "liberal" is used in this game and also often in American political discourse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what college means in America too. I have no idea why it's used in this way in this case.

Mid term elections aren't what they sound like. We elect our President for 4 years at a time. We elect our senators for six years and our representatives for two years. This means that every even numbered year has an election, but the even years that are not divisible by four are called mid terms, because they are in the middle of the president's term. It's not like an official designation, it just means there's probably going to be less turn-out at the polls, and it's a chance for the parties to see how America feels about the first two years of the president's term (they might vote for his opposing party to give him less power).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCue
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colleges are mostly places of learning in the US as well, but back when the EC was named, the word "college" also had the more general meaning of "a bunch of people who get together," like the College of Cardinals.

Different offices get elected for different amounts of time. The House of Representatives is elected every two years and Senators are elected for six-year terms of which roughly a third expire every two years, but the President is elected every four years, so the "mid-term" election is the national election that elects members of the House and Senate, midway through the Presidential term.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.