GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,416 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Josh Lee
msg tools
I've always been something of a semi-obsessed history/war buff, but I've never discovered boardgames until recently. I would pay good money for high quality, painted miniatures of classical/medieval troops; and if it comes with a boardgame, all the better.

However, most of the wargames I've come across on this site seem to have unpainted plastic figures. I am both very unartistic and somewhat lazy, so painting them myself wouldn't really be an option. Does anyone know where I can find a historical wargame (preferably 1v1) with painted miniatures? Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pritchard
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The easy and expensive way is to invest in a lot of Axis & Allies miniatures. These support their own game but could be used for many minis games. The other way is to go to EBay and buy minis that someone has painted to sell. They came unbased and unpainted but you buy them from aguy who did all the work for you. Flames of War is now the easiest WWII to find but 6mm is a lot cheaper. If you want Ancients or Medieval, buying full DBA armies to use with DBA (which only requires 12 elements per side) is the cheapest door into minis.

For minis rules, i always found Battlefront: WWII to be very good for unit detail. It is built in so it does not show all the many calculations but you get a card for every unit type. So many vehicles! It does not have dozens ofd varieties of Sherman tank...

For that you need Advanced Squad Leader. This is not a minis game but can be played as such and GHQ or CinC sell miniatures for this. I would go for Litko Aero for my stands to base them on and for Squad Leader or ASL or any 2cm hex-based games I would use 20mm round bases.

It all depends on genre or historical era.

Stay away from Warhammer or anything else by Games Workshop and from Flames of War if you want detail and realism.

If you want the miniatures to be realistic sculpts to match your realistic rules, try GHQ. If you want cheaper but a but sloppier then Irregulars are fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pritchard
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You DO say Medieval. My bad for missing that.

Use Fernando is supposed to be very good and quite affordable but have a queue and take a while.

You can buy MageKnight or Dungeons & Dragons miniatures or the new non-collectible painted minis from Reaper. Very pricey.

For armies, Zvezda and Caesar now have fantasy sets.

I think Hybrid is now painted in its core game and/or expansions, or its sister lines from the same company are. I am finding that hard to discern. It seems they are painted. Hybrid is very expensive and comes with a ton of stuff but only 19 minis I think. So it does not give lots of minis for the price. Sort of like those pizza things that brag about being filled with lots of pizza stuff. If stuff means cheap sauce then it is true but the smaller competitors brand has meat and veggies galore. So look at price compared to contents but also WHAT the contents are. MageKnight and D&D offer almost all mini content for the price but the buggers are still collectible. I HATE THAT.

Get Quest for the Dragon Lords, Lord of the Rings Tabletop Battle Game, War of the Ring, War of the Ring: Battles of the Third Age, combine the Caesar or Zvezda 1/72 plastic fantasy soldiers with these games or any 1/72 plastic ancinet or Medieval soldiers, gwet any game by Zvezda, or buy combos of these, or Risk - Lord of the Rings Trilogy Edition, and then hire a teen or pro to paint them sans too much expensive detail.

Or buy multiple copies of the right Heroscape expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hayes
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Try asking this question in the DBA forum's "Rants & Raves" section.....

http://www.fanaticus.org/discussion/index.php

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pritchard
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battleground might qualify if you like full colour overheaf drawings on cards as units.

REMEMBER...

When cannibalizing games for pices and/or boards you are not foreced to use the bad rules inside just because you like the bits.

Use DBA, DBM, Piquet - Archon II, or similarly good games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lee
msg tools
Thank you all for your detailed replies, I really appreciate it! I've checked out a lot of your suggestions, and to be honest, I'm a little dazed by all the options. It seemes there is no wargame that comes with a painted minature ancients collection...your suggestions seem to require several variations of wargames to get a full painted set.

Personally, I'd still rather purchase a pre-painted set instead of sending them to Fernando. I think to aquire such a set, I need to get a seperate minature collection online (one not attached to wargame). Am I right in making this conclusion ? Also, if this is true, where can I get a painted set at a relatively affordable price? I know this isn't the best place to ask such a question, but I'd appreciate you throwing out a few sitesor something Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Mickelsen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you might really enjoy DBA. You can buy prepainted lead miniature ancient/medieval armies for about $75 on EBAY. You can also have them painted by services for about the same amount. You can also play online at DBAol. Check it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.