Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Rumble
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
designer
Overview
A spreadsheet is split into a grid of half inch squares. Individual squares are then merged into regions to create the layout of the card. Colour, text, and icons can be added to customize each card for printing.

I have found this method very useful so I hope it can benefit the game design community. I think it may be especially helpful for new designers, and those looking for an easier way to collaborate. I also think it's an efficient way to get ideas built quickly for prototyping and iteration.

I have created a detailed guide to help anyone get started.
Guide

I have also included examples and templates to so you can make a copy and try it right now.
Example
Template

If you have any questions or feedback post it here. I'm happy to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KC Schrimpl
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Interesting method. Seems simple and effective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Black
United States
Walpole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Discover the Fun
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is fantastically helpful. Thanks for taking the time to do all that work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pif Fiasse
France
flag msg tools
new user
Thank you so much for this. Making quick cards has always been a hassle for me and this looks super useful. I'll use for sure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of you to create and share a starting point! This approach works in any spreadsheet app, using Sheets does make for easy sharing and online publishing.

Next step, creating layouts dynamically in a spreadsheet application from a database. Makes placing imagery and updating assets much, much easier. That's been discussed here before .... where was that thread ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Langewisch
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
www.ludolodge.com
mbmbmbmbmb
That is definitely a quick way to get nice looking cards. For anyone that wants to take it another step to where the cards can be dynamically updated from spreadsheet data, I highly recommend nanDECK. It takes a little bit of getting used to, but I can now put data into a Google spreadsheet, export the .csv and load it into nanDECK, and generate my prototype deck there. If I ever want to make a change to the layout, I can do that in nanDECK and it will apply it to all cards, and if I ever want to change the values/text, I can update it in the spreadsheet and just reload it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Rumble
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
designer
Quote:
This approach works in any spreadsheet app, using Sheets does make for easy sharing and online publishing.
True! I haven't tried it in MS Excel or Apple Numbers but it should work. It may even be easier to add images and icons in those programs.

Quote:
Next step, creating layouts dynamically in a spreadsheet application from a database.
I'd love to see this. Having a database in one sheet and the dynamically created cards in another seems like a workflow dream. Any spreadsheet wizards out there know how it could be done?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Spend a couple hours learning how to use nanDeck. Faster, easier (modulo learning curve), more robust, more options, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendary wrote:
I can now put data into a Google spreadsheet, export the .csv and load it into nanDECK

You can use the "Link" directive to load sheets directly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:
Kind of you to create and share a starting point! This approach works in any spreadsheet app, using Sheets does make for easy sharing and online publishing.

Next step, creating layouts dynamically in a spreadsheet application from a database. Makes placing imagery and updating assets much, much easier. That's been discussed here before .... where was that thread ...

Here? Inkscape Extensions for Boardgame Development

whistle

Oh, IN a spreadsheet, not FROM a spreadsheet? Have no idea then, but Inkscape works for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.