Root» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Vagabond vs Mechanical Marquis? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Monte Watson

Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After defeating the MM in solo mode as the Eyrie, I tried the Vagabond. I was not sure which flavor of Vagabond to play, and ended up going with the Ranger first (thinking of the military aspect of his starting pieces). I was toast, I don't think I even got to 15 points. I didn't have any hammers until the very end of the game, and my choices seemed very limited for crafting, obviously, and quests.

The second time I want with the Tinker, and it was very different. The game was close - 30 to 26, but I was consistently adding items, and was able to do enough quests and combat points to win the game. Basically I roamed the board either to take ruins, or to knock the number of controlling MM warriors to less than three before the end of my turn.

Has anyone else had Vagabond success in solo mode with anything other than the Tinker?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I feel like with vagabond the card draw of the mechanical Marquis has such a massive impact that I'm not sure how much a particular character matters. Basically if the Marquis gets +1 recruits of different suits for the first couple turns you have a chance. If the Marquis gets +2 recruits of different suits for the first couple of turns you might as well just start over. This is mostly because of how limited movement is for the vagabond. He has to spend 2 boots to enter any hostile space, though he does get the free slip. But if you don't have much chance to search ruins before becoming hostile, or aiding to get items (and points), you are not going to be able to move and attack enough to keep the points down.

I'm very curious to hear how everyone else has fared with this combo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Olson
msg tools
Quote:
I feel like with vagabond the card draw of the mechanical Marquis has such a massive impact that I'm not sure how much a particular character matters. Basically if the Marquis gets +1 recruits of different suits for the first couple turns you have a chance. If the Marquis gets +2 recruits of different suits for the first couple of turns you might as well just start over.

I have not played solo too much but from what I have played it feels like a double recruit turn one is basically game over.

I might test some house rules to see if I can come up with something more consistent

My first thought is to test these alternative co-op rules:

at the start of daylight place 1 warrior per player at the keep.

(This might make the vagabond too overpowered since he can get to the keep on his first turn, but I haven't tested it yet so IDK)

in daylight replace the normal crafting cost meanings with:

1-3 of a suit: place 1 warrior on each clearing of that suit
1 of each suit: place 1 warrior on each clearing on or adjacent to the keep
4 wild: place 4 warriors at the keep

I don't know if these rules are good, but its something to try.

I'm not sure whether to keep the vp per player at birdsong rule. I think it should stay, because otherwise it is probably much too easy. Again, I haven't tested it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zythe wrote:

I was thinking about doing the same thing. I'll see how difficult it is tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
endofturn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You did a lot better than me. I played 3 solo games vs the Mechs as the Lizards and my combined score for all three games was 3 points.

(First turn they score 1pt, then after that it seems like they get 9 pts a turn and the game is over. Lol )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zythe wrote:

I played two games solo with these altered rules. One as the Eyrie and one as the Tinker Vagabond. I won both, but both were real close and I would have lost on the Mechanical Marquise's next turn if I hadn't pulled out a few extra points.

The Eyrie game I got lucky and my starting hand had 2 bird cards. The Vagabond game I also got lucky and drew some mouse quests which I could complete easily.

I'll definitely keep playing like this and try out the other factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Green
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zythe wrote:

My first thought is to test these alternative co-op rules:

at the start of daylight place 1 warrior per player at the keep.

(This might make the vagabond too overpowered since he can get to the keep on his first turn, but I haven't tested it yet so IDK)

I've been a little unsatisfied with the official co-op and solo rules.

I'm looking forward to trying these changes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Lex
msg tools
Just played Vagabond Scoundrel vs. MM with your modified recruitment. Lost 30-24, so it was better. Not being able to craft is rough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.