A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)» Forums » News

Subject: Expansion announced at GenCon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
In hot summer have I great rejoicing When the tempests kill the earth’s foul peace, And the light’nings from black heav’n flash crimson, And the fierce thunders roar me their music And the winds shriek through the clouds mad, opposing
mbmbmbmbmb
Mother of Dragons, coming with the Essos sideboard and the Targaryaen faction. 39.95$, 4th quarter release
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Doerr
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
Origins 2019 Jun 12th - 16th
badge
Unplayed Countdown: 20 left to play
mbmbmbmbmb
Also included, official House Arryn bits (to also go with A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) – A Feast for Crows.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kale
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
August 24 - 26 2018
badge
August 24 - 26 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
Swweet! This is such great news! I can't wait!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Man, I sold this game a while back because it wasn't getting played ( best play count was an issue for me). This kind of makes me want to take another stab at it. We'll see, maybe a long-term goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sinodinos
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic news! AUTO-BUY!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frode Hanøy
Norway
flag msg tools
HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!

It is finally happening! This is 110% insta-buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is awesome, can't wait for the first pictures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to see FFG not Next Editioning everything, sometimes what is released is already great.

I was really hoping for modular board though. I think modular board would break the meta of early turns.

But oh well. Dragons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Summers
msg tools
Ah, if only it came out five years ago when I cared about the game. I sincerely hope it comes with multiple scenarios for different player counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Bunzel
Germany
Düsseldorf
North-Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OMFG, i have expected everything from Gen Con, but THIS. NEVER.
Absolutely an auto buy, nearly in tears, i have waited so long for this. cant explain how happy i am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JonConnington wrote:
OMFG, i have expected everything from Gen Con, but THIS. NEVER.
Absolutely an auto buy, nearly in tears, i have waited so long for this. cant explain how happy i am

I know the feeling! This expansion 'completes' the board game. It was strange playing the base game and have fans ask where the dragons are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair McDonald
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The announcer at GenCon seemed to indicate an updated system of play for playing with less than Max players (now up to 8 players) - indicating that any combinations of houses could be used even as player numbers dwindle. Also pumped for official House Arryn pieces as Feast for Crows hits the Table most frequently.

Will be interesting to see how they go about balancing it if large portions of the map are vacant (personally not a fan of battling against garrisoned areas which are not controlled by a human player)

Their twitter account also announced that the expansion would include the Iron Bank of Braavos "offering powerful loans that could turn the tide in your favour - for a price" which sounds pretty epic will be interesting to see how that plays out - will it involve the Westeros decks - or an area on the board with lots of consolidate power icons? However if its an area on the board that needs claimed it will surely have to be in Essos which gives a significant geographical advantage to certain houses... So will be interesting to find out more - (Updated - seen a photo with Bronn as a House Card is the Iron Bank a playable House, or will he be joining the Targaryens?)

A prototype is at their booth in GenCon so hopefully someone can update this thread with some more insight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ash Westgate
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
So does this mean you don't need the two mini-expansions?
A Feast for Crows & A Dance with Dragons

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair McDonald
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not as I currently understand it - I believe that this expansion will be used to augment the base game.

It will include Arryn tokens and units but I haven't heard that it will include any of the other material that comes with the previous expansions Feast for Crows or Dance with Dragons, listed below:

Feast comes with Arryn House cards and a set of objectives which are only suited for a 4 player game.

Dance comes with new House cards for all the original houses and new starting layouts.

Going off very limited information here but as it comes with a board overlay for the Vale of Arryn and House Arryn tokens and units, along with a separate Essos side board and Targaryen tokens and units - I think that it is a straight expansion for the base game and the Arryn overlay is to assist with balancing issues which would exist if the Vale was left as it is (one castle and no port in entire region)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pyetya
msg tools
mb
They have a chance to fix Greyjoy - Lannister balance issue. This expansion should have overlays for the base game or maybe some new cards for Lannister and Greyjoy.

Fingers crossed for valuable content, as it was my first boardgame since childhood, the one I immediately fell in love with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adhil Patel
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely keen for this. Yaay!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Banks
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
pyetya wrote:
They have a chance to fix Greyjoy - Lannister balance issue. This expansion should have overlays for the base game or maybe some new cards for Lannister and Greyjoy.

For me the card that needs looking at is Balon - either nerf him majorly or provide Lannister and Stark with some kind of hard counter, as right now the only cards that sort of work against him are Catelyn and Tyrion, two of the absolute worst cards in the game.

I think the balance issues go beyond the cards though - their position on the board is also what makes early game between those two Houses so key and potentially messy. It would need an overlay to fix that.

Personally I don't think the issue is that bad though - people often say Grejoy is too powerful, but I hardly ever see Greyjoy wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Summers
msg tools
Alexthebanks wrote:
pyetya wrote:

For me the card that needs looking at is Balon - either nerf him majorly or provide Lannister and Stark with some kind of hard counter, as right now the only cards that sort of work against him are Catelyn and Tyrion, two of the absolute worst cards in the game.

I think the balance issues go beyond the cards though - their position on the board is also what makes early game between those two Houses so key and potentially messy. It would need an overlay to fix that.

Personally I don't think the issue is that bad though - people often say Grejoy is too powerful, but I hardly ever see Greyjoy wins.

Ideally, we’d get much more choice with the expansion as to which houses to choose for which player counts. So Greyjoy / Lannister might only come into play in an 8 player game, 7 or less and you’d be better off using Arryn and Targaryen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
il roggianese Nicola
Italy
flag msg tools
I had been waiting for this expansion for years!
I hope I can reduce the playing time a bit.
I hope it will make the gaming experience enjoyable for any number of players (3-8).
I will certainly buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martín Borda
Argentina
San Nicolás de los Arroyos
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
Club de Juegos SN
badge
San Nicolás de los Arroyos, Bs.As., AR
mbmbmbmbmb
Entry created on BGG:
A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) – Mother of Dragons
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barny Skinner
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Box:

Daenerys House Card:

Arryn Overlay:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played today and posted a bunch of info here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/29679744#29679744
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Vista
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveSumm wrote:
Ah, if only it came out five years ago when I cared about the game. I sincerely hope it comes with multiple scenarios for different player counts.

I was incorrectly told that like Arkham Horror this was a third edition. I just can't play the game the way it is currently so I'm bummed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crono Crono
msg tools

Notice the dragon meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barny Skinner
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Jon Connington and Bronn... Looks like mercenaries or sellswords of some form may be making an appearance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.