Subject: Advice for playing against Woodland Alliance? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JL K
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a few 3 player (cats, birds, alliance) games where it felt like the Woodland Alliance couldn't be broken down, starting very early in the game. It feels like once they get a base with 2-3 warriors on it and a few officers, they're too tough of a nut to crack. It doesn't seem efficient to be constantly snuffing out their 1 cost sympathies as they generally come right back. Is the key to let them revolt and then swarm the base? Is it to just control the center of the map so they have less options for spreading sympathy?

I guess I'm just asking, how is it best to knock down the Alliance?

(I was the Alliance player in these games, this just came from the post-game discussions)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alliance is definitely one of the stronger factions imo. Best way to deal with them imo is to have your warriors in groups of 3 (your other opponents should try to do this as well) so he has a harder time spreading. In addition after that, sitting on their base w/ a few warriors will also slow them down immensely (do not attack, force them to attack you).

The woodland alliance have vastly fewer warriors than the birds or the cats. So you can definitely afford to leave like 2-4 warriors on one of their basss. This makes the woodland alliance afraid to move out less they want an undefended base. From my 15-20 games the woodland alliance usually performs most optimally w/ 4 officers sometimes 5. Leaving 6-5 warriors to defend 2-3 bases meaning only 2~3 warriors defending each base. And if they use a precious action to attack they not only use an action, they give up thejr biggest advantage of taking the higher die on defense.

Also looking for that early undefended bass can be good too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Durst
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a 5 player last night as Cats. The first base of the Woodland Alliance was converted into a garden by the Lizard Cults which pretty well wiped the Alliance (they lost probably 3-4 supporter cards due to the base loss and their only officer). They took awhile to recover and by then, the Vagabond had already won. This was a turn after I tried a frontal assault on the base with my cats and lost because I forgot they get the high die and I rolled 2 -0, booo.

As with most factions in this game that get stronger as the game progresses (Woodland Alliance, Vagabond), the key seems to be to hit them hard early to hamper their growth giving yourself time to win before their engine becomes fully operational.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing that works is to just sit on their base with a ton of Warriors. Now they can't move out because you control the clearing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rav
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zlarp wrote:
Another thing that works is to just sit on their base with a ton of Warriors. Now they can't move out because you control the clearing.

Yeah, that happened to me. They didn't attack, but they camped it so that I couldn't move my warriors out to spread that sympathy. Woodland alliance will probably only ever have a max of six warriors on the board at once (assuming four officers), so it's easy for cats/eyrie/lizards to outnumber them and keep them from actually participating much on the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ravendas wrote:
Zlarp wrote:

Yeah, that happened to me. They didn't attack, but they camped it so that I couldn't move my warriors out to spread that sympathy. Woodland alliance will probably only ever have a max of six warriors on the board at once (assuming four officers), so it's easy for cats/eyrie/lizards to outnumber them and keep them from actually participating much on the map.

I'm still definitely a relative newbie to this game but I can see the wisdom in NOT attacking their bases (as the Eeyrie, Cats, and maybe Lizards) and just leaving warriors there. That also means that there isn't a chance of a revolt in another clearing of the same suit as that base which is a worry I have before they start putting down bases.

I did find in my last game (playing as the Eeyrie) that just continuing to take out their sympathy tokens helped to suppress them. Sure they can just get those tokens right back out again on successive turns but holding them to only a couple of sympathy tokens out at a time at least makes it so that I'm not giving them nearly as many cards when moving into sympathetic clearings and additional sympathy tokens they are placing keeps their victory point gains down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the Alliance not use a "Revolt" action to get rid of all the campers, then proceed to spread Sympathy?

Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunder wrote:
Can the Alliance not use a "Revolt" action to get rid of all the campers, then proceed to spread Sympathy?

Peace

They already revolted and have a base, so they can't revolt anymore even if they had the support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry T
Sweden
flag msg tools
Thunder wrote:

Peace

At a base, you mean? They can only revolt in clearings matching an unbuilt base.

Their best bet there is probably just to waste an action attacking, or spread sympathy somewhere else. Their supporter limit is non-existant as long as they have a base, after all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Allen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The real danger is leaving them having bases, they will train more officers...

There was once my WA player has 6 officers which allow them to recruit, recruit, move, move, organize, organize. In just one turn put out 2 sympathy in birdsong and 2 in Evening.

Which is devastating enough get more than 7 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.