Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myladies, Gentlemen,

Welcome to the 24 hour contest July 2018.

Before participating, please read the

basic rules-/discussion-/subscription thread

We still have got supporters!
Standing ovations for

Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb

who offered to tip 10 for the winner of a month's contest.

Also

Nancy Hutchins
United States
Harvard
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

donated 1000 to be tipped in steps of 100 beginning from March 2018 through December 2018! YAY!

And many thanks to

Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

who offered 10 for each contest from September 2017 - September 2018!

And due to a most generous tip by

michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
designer
playtesthub.firebaseapp.com
badge
patreon.com/theTrueMikeBrown
mbmbmbmbmb

you can win 20 from February 2018 up to March 2020!!!

In the main thread, 5 have been tipped ...

So, for this month 135 have been tipped! YAY!

And we've got a microbadge you can buy, if you want to show the world, that you participated in the 24 hour contest:

24 Hour Contest participant

Thanks to

'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

for creating the badge!

It is August, folks ..
And at least over here "August" is a common name for a clown ...

So, this month's requirement is:

Clown

Remember: The requirement is just a requirement - not necessarily a theme! It's up to you, how you involve it in your game!
(Bonus points for totally not including Han in your game ...)

Happy designing and kind regards,
Kai

p.s.:

In the behaviour rules (see link to basic rules thread above) I've written:
Quote:
Please create a second posting in that thread to present your creation.

Please do present your game along with a short description in a posting. The reason I ask you to do this is simple: Creating geeklist entries becomes easier for me because from time to time copy-n-pasting from PDFs produces unexpected results (such as copying only odd symbols into the clipboard ..)
Thanks a lot

And if you'd like to spread the word of this contest, feel free to tweet about it:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessi Wheeler
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Ohhh, I love the theme this month! I'm new to this challenge and thus, don't know if I could do it, but I think I'd like to try.

I'll check out past ones as well to see examples of finished pieces
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So it will be all horror games this month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
The Evil... The Chaotic... The Wallaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Definition: behave in a comical way; act playfully.
"Harvey clowned around pretending to be a dog"

I'm in.
Start me now.

Theme:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Fur"st Draft (and bad pun gulp) here: Top Dog

Top Dog imagines dogs playing Poker collecting various sets of dog bones. The game plays in about 10-20 minutes and is for ages 8+.

(Note to parents: There is no gambling in this game, though the artwork from the original paintings is featured, which does contain alcohol and cigars. It was a different era. Card backs are optional.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EDITED 13 hours in. Top Dog now has rules for a 3-4 player build with a standard deck. It also includes rules for keeping collected cards secret. It has a 5 player variant with wild. I reduced the deck to 25 cards, down from 30. And I increased the size of cards to 3.4x2.4 (That's the best WPS Writer will let me do.) so cards can be sleeved. I also brightened the card backs so that they can be printed without exhausting your ink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Final Edit for this 24 hour design. I decided that, while I still find Dogs playing Poker to be a very comical idea, I just can't reconcile the Kids Game feel I was attempting to generate with the Pipes and Cigars. So I switched to new card backs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Trice
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
new user
*Not sure how this exactly works*, but I'm already starting to brainstorm, so I guess just start my timer at 12:45 pm August 6th 2018.

Theming or Incorporation of Clown

Title of Game: CL OWN (150 Own) or (150 O.W.N.) will likely be gist of the title of the game.

CL = 150 in roman numerals

EDIT Update 1

Spoiler (click to reveal)
150 Own is game title as well as the objective. It is a press your luck game. Each card is double-sided with numbers ranging from 0-9.

2-4 players

Big Own = 150
Little Own = any combination of 3 cards that total 6

My thoughts:
I'm thinking I want there to be a variety of 3-4 possible different variables to each front to back combination. I might put f=front and b=back on each card to help narrow done how much card possibilities you have to try to remember or use to your advantage.

Other terms I'm thinking of adding/defining: 1 look, a fold phase, 1 buy and 1 safety.

EDIT Update 2

The deck consists of 40 cards. Cards are designed in an even or odd fashion. If a 7 is face up, you know the face down is a 1, 3, 5 or 9. If a 2 is face up, you know the face down is a 0, 4, 6 or 8.

My thoughts:
I need to figure out what the turns look like leading up to the final reveal. I think I want to players to impact each other in some way. But I need to play around with this for a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Trice
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
new user
Update 3

150 Own is a press your luck, elimination card game. I would say it is more likely going to be 4-6 player game.

Objective: To be the last player standing. How? You must successfully have numbers added together to equal 15 (1+5=6) or 6 with 3 or 4 cards. (I need to work on the wording of this.)

Rules:
1. Deal 4 cards out to each player and an additional 4 cards to the middle.
2. Players are not to look at the face down side of the cards until the reveal.
3. On your turn, note the cards in front of you. f=front and b=back

Example: I have a 7b 1f 2b 3b. I cannot look at my own cards, but I can look at anyone who matches my own on the table. So let's say someone has a 2b, and the middle has a 3b. I look at the 2b; they have a 6. I know my 2b has to be a 0, 4, or 8. I look at the middle 3b; it's a 7. I know my 3b has to be a 1, 5, or 9.

4. Knowing all this information, I can switch one of my cards with a middle card.
5. Each player follows this system.
6. Then starts the reveal phase.

I need to get to work, but I'll update this later on the rest of the rules of how this plays out.

EDIT Update 4

I've been kind of finished with this since yesterday. I haven't really made more progress. I could have designed cards in Photoshop, but I don't have a theme really beyond the mechanics, so there is a lot to be desired there.

So how does this reveal phase work?

Reveal Phase
1. In turn order, the first player will turn over all their cards and see if their cards add up to 15 or 6 with usually only 3 cards of their 4 cards.

^^This was the end of the first round in a 4 game.

2. If your cards do not add up to 15 or 6 with 3 cards, you have two potential options, if they are available to you. Be sure you read or know both options before considering your next move.

Option 1: All 4 cards add up to 15 or 6. You survive this round, but the next round you will only be dealt 3 cards. You will not have your safety anymore. (The 4th card is called your safety.)

Option 2: If you have a card or cards that matches one of the cards in the middle in terms of number (it doesn't have to match front and back), you may trade 1 matching card. The matching card will then be flipped over, and you have to accept the result. Either successfully getting the result you want or not.

3. If you can't reach 15 or 6, you are eliminated from the game. (In the picture, see the player at the top of the screen.)

The problem is as people are eliminated from the game less information is available to other people in order to help them win. It's a fun short game in my opinion.

I'll need to playtest this with actual people aside from playing it with me, myself, my brain, my wit and I.

One Question I Have:

1. Do players want the middle to increase in size as other people are eliminated so as to keep the general amount of information gathered each round to be the same?

Long Story Short: Do people want information to be a constant?

Or as of right now, the amount of information will potentially decrease after each elimination. A lot of it depends on cards drawn.

I'm thinking I need to add a rule about what players are to do if none of their cards match any on the board. But I want to playtest this a lot or get feedback from other players about what seems fair.

Next time, I'll try to pick a better day so that I can get more done.

But I definitely feel happy with how 150 Own or CL Own turned out. This might be a game I feel confident enough about to actually ask people to playtest it. *yay!*

This is my last update for the 24 hour challenge. I have to leave for work in 15 minutes. (I have get ready for work and eat lunch in said 15 minutes or maybe I can go over said 15 minutes a little bit.)

But it has been fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Trice
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
new user
Suggestion:
For the next monthly contest, you should put the requirement in spoilers, otherwise, people might accidentally start thinking about designing it before they have time to commit to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cardgamedesign1 wrote:
Suggestion:
For the next monthly contest, you should put the requirement in spoilers, otherwise, people might accidentally start thinking about designing it before they have time to commit to it.

You are allowed to think about it as much as you like beforehand. You just aren't allowed to write things down or actually work on the rules or components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
polyobsessive wrote:
cardgamedesign1 wrote:
Suggestion:

You are allowed to think about it as much as you like beforehand. You just aren't allowed to write things down or actually work on the rules or components.

This

That's what I wrote to you via Twitter: the timer starts as soon as you begin with the PHYSICAL work ...

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Trice
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
new user
polyobsessive wrote:
cardgamedesign1 wrote:
Suggestion:

But if I do it that way how will I remember it all? Also, are you sure those two things don't contradict each other?

For instance, my game title is also relatively the objective. No, I did not think of that initially, but it made the most sense as to not make the title unrelated to the actual game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Trice
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
new user
schattentanz wrote:
polyobsessive wrote:
cardgamedesign1 wrote:
Suggestion:

This

That's what I wrote to you via Twitter: the timer starts as soon as you begin with the PHYSICAL work ...

Kind regards,
Kai

How is mental work less than physical work? I mean physical work you have proof. But it's like you're saying that mental and physical work is not equal to each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cardgamedesign1 wrote:
polyobsessive wrote:

But if I do it that way how will I remember it all?

Ah, but that's part of the challenge!

Yeah, I'm sure that normally most of us would be wanting to write ideas down when we have them, but not allowed here.

cardgamedesign1 wrote:
Also, are you sure those two things don't contradict each other?

You can work on things in your head. Maybe I phrased that badly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cardgamedesign1 wrote:
How is mental work less than physical work? I mean physical work you have proof. But it's like you're saying that mental and physical work is not equal to each other.

I don't think anyone said it is. The rule for this contest is that you can do mental preparation, but not physical work until you start the clock. Different people find different things challenging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
polyobsessive wrote:
cardgamedesign1 wrote:
polyobsessive wrote:

But if I do it that way how will I remember it all?

Ah, but that's part of the challenge!

Yeah, I'm sure that normally most of us would be wanting to write ideas down when we have them, but not allowed here.

cardgamedesign1 wrote:
Also, are you sure those two things don't contradict each other?

You can work on things in your head. Maybe I phrased that badly.

Perhaps a better phrasing would be:

You are allowed to think about it as much as you like beforehand. You just aren't allowed to write the rules down or physically make components until you start your 24 hours.

There is no shame in not being able to finish a game within this challenge time limit, it's happened to all of us one month or another. Biting off more than we can chew. But the feeling of figuring out how to make the game you want within the time limit is amazing when it happens!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Trice
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
new user
adularia25 wrote:

There is no shame in not being able to finish a game within this challenge time limit, it's happened to all of us one month or another. Biting off more than we can chew. But the feeling of figuring out how to make the game you want within the time limit is amazing when it happens!

I think my game is roughly finished though, or it is at least ready to be playtested with real people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cardgamedesign1 wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

I think my game is roughly finished though, or it is at least ready to be playtested with real people.

That's great!

But I don't understand why you wanted the word hidden when you were able to finish a game within the time limit.

Edit: I also missed that your game was finished because you edited a previous post, and didn't make a new post saying you were done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, Sarah - you should make one clean final post about your game for Kai to put into a geeklist for voting. This is a required part of the contest.

Not required, just an observation, but I personally found the spoilers within spoilers were distracting in following what you doing with your game - why hide questions about your game that you want answered? Or images of your game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cardgamedesign1 wrote:

Fantastic! Congratulations. Playtesting is a luxury that we sometimes can't afford in 24 hours, so if you manage to do some, you are well ahead. And if you don't, then you are still winning.

Don't forget to post your entry with the rules and PnP file (if necessary), as per the contest rules, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, lesson learned:

The whole concept of the contest is apparently confusing for newcomers ..
I wonder, how I can make everything better understandable ..

Maybe, this is something, we can discuss in the main thread?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Clown???
Nope. Everything I think up is dark and twisted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kzinti wrote:
Clown???
Nope. Everything I think up is dark and twisted.

Go for it.

I'm sure the dog thing was a stretch, too. *Shrug*
Oh well. Game is done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Black
United States
Walpole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Discover the Fun
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everybody. I have been enjoying all the discussion this month. It's awesome how passionate the gaming community is. It seems like games and the spirit of friendly competition bring out the best in people.

I began making my entry 'Clown Cars' this afternoon at 1:49 PM New York time. The game is complete as of 9:15 PM tonight.

The game plays from 2-4 ages 8 and up and takes about 15-20 minutes. The components consist of 40 cards and 5 player-boards.

My codesigner and I had a great day putting this one together.

I will attach the files at some point before the 24 hour window closes.

...several minutes later...

These are the rules:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uMJds7W39nDI1ylLbOoEZv-F...

Here are the link to the components. I couldn't figure out how to put them in a folder or anything so, in the interest of adhering to the 24 hour constraint I am attaching them as separate files.

The first 3 are the Clown Car Player Boards.

Cars 1

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dHWUuM4sn-S7BGGnGn87...

Cars 2

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k7cjJ0ZNBhj9XwMje6BU...

Cars 3

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ysT8eaqn5UfKi9DwuKKD...

The next 5 are the Clown Cards. They are all 1 sided.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_1BLmZPsmcDpjO-7JfVL...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jHcM8XO-7cohBs8QTPz3...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d3kFv1jtq7SY4ordAzrQ...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dk_HtykmNdRNbLY8ymx9...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1E4pdXTneN0kpK4CjmlUj...

Sorry about the separate files but the tech aspect of board game design is a big challenge for, so any feedback or advice about that area would be welcomed.

Thanks for taking the time to have a look and Discover the Fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.