Popular Tags: [View All]
Ivan Hanley
Scotland
Glasgow
Strathclyde
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was one of the games we played wrongly last week. After clarifying the rules over the past few days I came to the table determined to get everything right. That went mostly to plan with one slight problem in the first couple of turns which cost DaveG a few Vp's but not enough to influence the final score.

I like this. It's original and, while on the longer side, very worthwhile. I feel that the luck of the dice is nicely balanced and the mechanics, while original, gel really well together to create a tense gaming experience. My one surprise is that the companies don't move around very much but maybe that's just player inexperience. The endgame, as Peter mentioned in the other game, seems to creep up on you very speedily indeed. I suspect a big part of the game revolves around managing the onset of the final turns. In our game I found myself forced into ending the game as DaveG would have taken control of my high-scoring company in the next turn. I had kept enough dice to give me a good shot at building out all stations in one company if I was threatened in this way and I was able to complete this.

In ending the game at this point however DaveG's turn followed mine and I had built onto new tiles and left him in a position where he could score very few additional points. He managed to build one final station and that was it. This left him pretty far behind in the scoring and I suspect that most games will end with one (in a 3-player) or two (in a 4-player) players completely out of contention at the end.

My final observation ties in with what Peter said in their game, that the game sort of simmers along until share-buying from directors is enabled. Then it gets really rough and rockets to an end. In contrast to Peter, I enjoy this roller-coaster ride. I also enjoy tactical games because you must react to the specific situation each turn and that brings a lot of tough spur-of-the-moment decisions and challenges.

It's a thumbs-up from me for the 3-player game. Speaking to the others at the 4-player table I am keen to try it with that number and hope it plays just as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.