GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,458 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Combat Commander: Europe» Forums » Rules

Subject: End of Game Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Dion
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An odd situation just came up that I didn't see addressed in the rules. However, given my track record of rules questions with this game, it's probably in the rulebook, clear as day, and I just missed it.

The Germans and Russians were duking it out in a total bloodbath. All kinds of time left on the time track (which was at 4 of 7), but the Russians (who are WAY ahead on points) have 9/11 spaces filled on the casualty track, and the Germans have 6/7 spaces filled. Two German units in a 3-hex building bust open a door and charge into an adjacent room, which just happens to have two crafty Russian units in it. After the sneaky Russians play two Ambush actions, the German FP is reduced to 4, coupled with a DR of 9. (German player holds the initiative card, and chooses not to use it.) The Russians have 8 collective FP, and rolled (you guessed it) a 5. 13-13. Everybody dies.

BUT, since all units simultaneously go to the casualty track, BOTH players are pushed onto their surrender marker, and "immediately and automatically lose the game, regardless of the VP total." (6.3.1)

So, this is a tie, right? The Russian player's massive VP lead is out the window, according to the rule text. Did I miss a rule somewhere that in the case of simultaneous bloodbath, tie goes to the attacker (as with Melees in pillboxes and bunkers)? Or perhaps the German player, since he ended up OVER his surrender marker, as opposed to the Russian player who ended ON it, is a bigger loser, despite the simultaneous loss?

I'm sure I missed the clarifying rule somewhere - help me out, please!
Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think ties go to the player holding the Initiative Card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Luub
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is covered explicitly in the FAQ -- the holder of the initiative wins any tie, including simultaneous surrender. Good call by the German player holding on to the initiative card!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Dion
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Erased. I'm a moron for not reading the FAQ first.

*sigh*

Here's hoping this sinks to the bottom of the page ASAP, so everyone forgets what an utter moron I am . . .

Cheers for the quick replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beyak
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
Combat Commander gets your blood flowing.
mbmbmbmbmb
JDion20 wrote:
Erased. I'm a moron for not reading the FAQ first.

*sigh*

Here's hoping this sinks to the bottom of the page ASAP, so everyone forgets what an utter moron I am . . .

Cheers for the quick replies!

Oh, don't worry about it. It was still a good question and maybe someone else won't have to ask it now that you have.

That sounded like a real nail biter of a game too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.