Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Garfield
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I can't go into details, but the construction algorithm does reject decks and do small amounts of construction. In balancing the goals of variety against playability (both too powerful and too weak) we tried to cut as few decks as possible, but we did cut some. More often than too powerful or too weak was 'not fun', it is not fun to get a card that refers to Robots and then have no robots in your deck - or even just have one.

There absolutely will be a range of powers with the decks, it would be arrogant to think we could identify algorithmically true power of a deck - and it would undermine one of the things I love most about games - that they are bigger than the designer - the players get better than the designers, and later players get better than earlier players. This means 'balance' is always a moving target.

A couple examples to illustrate that - in very early magic there was a powerful deck engine based on a card Necropotence - and lots of call that it get banned. We chose not to and the world championship was very exciting because some players brought out a secret weapon - the Stasis Deck - which disrupted the status quo. We as designers did not know there was a solution, but we knew that games are very very complex, and we didn't want to deprive the players the ultimate achievement of solving that problem.

A second illustration comes from an electronic game I worked on, Spectromancer. In that there were classes you bought and one free class - cleric. There were many complaints that cleric was the worst class - which we were pretty sure wasn't true, but the natural result of it being free. We chose that character to be free not because it was weak but because it was flexible and showed the variety the game offered. We did an analysis and found that indeed for beginners Cleric was slightly underpowered, for Intermediate it was quite underpowered and for expert it was actually a favored deck. In retrospect this was predictable - flexibility is almost always skill testing, and allows players to make bad decisions as well as good. Similarly a deck coveted by beginners - the Necromancer - was powerful against beginners and intermediates but underpowered against experienced players. Experts knew how to avoid the traps the Necromancer laid.

There is no one balance - intermediates and beginners are all players as well, and experts today become outdated tomorrow.

Instead of the goal to make decks fair, I took the goal as making as many decks as possible playable and fun against each other - meaning that of the three major factors in a matchup - player skill, deck quality, and variance - deck quality rarely dominates (meaning regardless of skill or luck your chances to win against it are minimal). And most matchups it will be a long time before the favored deck is known and the advantage should be small.

As players get better at evaluating the deck powers there are many tools for making games fair - the handicapping system of chains is one, but switching decks and for very experienced players - bidding chains are others.

Personally - my son and I (he is a very good player) like to take underperforming decks and try to beat each other with it. It is sometimes tough but we find a lot of glory to taking down a more powerful deck, and sometimes the techniques used can change the relative performance. If we wanted to play 'fair' we would bid - or choose two decks that are close in performance, which we do sometimes as well.

• [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey thanks for sharing I look forward to trying it out. Much focus has been on the distribution model, but I look forward to learning more about the actual game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Flight
United States
Boulder
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard,

Thank you for continuing to innovate! My family have had many hours of enjoyment playing MTG for many years. Thank you for all that fun and great family time.

We are very much looking forward to Keyforge and more great times!

Thanks again!

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was an awesome insight! Thank you for sharing your thoughts... and ideas. Kudos and congrats. I look forward to exploring this wonderful beast you have conceived!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Demetri
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be referring the skeptical to this post for a while, I think. Thanks Richard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Phelddagrif wrote:
I can't go into details, but the construction algorithm does reject decks and do small amounts of construction. In balancing the goals of variety against playability (both too powerful and too weak) we tried to cut as few decks as possible, but we did cut some. More often than too powerful or too weak was 'not fun', it is not fun to get a card that refers to Robots and then have no robots in your deck - or even just have one.

Thanks for the details! May I ask if this is guaranteed or just very high chance? I've already seen at least two players who tested at Gencon mention they had a deck with only one instance of a keyword when another card mentioned/buffed that keyword (e.g. they might have said Niffle Queen/Lord and they only had one other Niffle in the deck).

Someone also claimed they had an instance like this when they had zero of the keyword, but they admitted a card might have gotten lost in the demo area which would have matched.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking about the physical manufacturing of this game drives me insane! Quite an accomplishment assuming it gets pulled off fairly cleanly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Molina
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the details Mr. Garfield. There is still one question that I was pondering since the game was revealed. Is the algorithm going to attribute a raw value to the deck depending on the cards it contains and known synergy between the cards ? If so, will the app be used to track how each deck performs against other decks (because if I understood correctly each deck has a QR code)?

Thanks again. I'm really excited about this game !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Garfield
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
GAFBlizzard wrote:

Thanks for the details! May I ask if this is guaranteed or just very high chance? I've already seen at least two players who tested at Gencon mention they had a deck with only one instance of a keyword when another card mentioned/buffed that keyword (e.g. they might have said Niffle Queen/Lord and they only had one other Niffle in the deck).

Someone also claimed they had an instance like this when they had zero of the keyword, but they admitted a card might have gotten lost in the demo area which would have matched.

It depends on the card - it should be guaranteed in most cases though there may be exceptions, and what is guaranteed will depend on the card. For example, some cards might only guarantee a single match but that is because they are pretty good in other ways - or they give you the ability to go find the mate.

Only having one match is not as bad (for some cards) as it seems - because you often go through the entire deck in one game and if you think it is important to get off a combo you can usually play for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Garfield
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
fmos wrote:
Thank you for the details Mr. Garfield. There is still one question that I was pondering since the game was revealed. Is the algorithm going to attribute a raw value to the deck depending on the cards it contains and known synergy between the cards ? If so, will the app be used to track how each deck performs against other decks (because if I understood correctly each deck has a QR code)?

Thanks again. I'm really excited about this game !

I can't comment on issues concerning apps and organized play. I am sure FFG will be tracking lots of information once the game is live, because that data will help future development - but I also anticipate they won't know what is most important until later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Rodger
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the insight, Richard. I'm very much looking forward to this game and am hoping I can find a bunch of people to play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Molina
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait to try the game. Too bad I Gencan't this year...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Backe
msg tools
designer
badge
KHHHHHAAAAANNNNNN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing this. As a game designer yet to get my hands on a deck, I was definitely curious about the construction of decks.

Can definitely see a deck drafting start to a tourney (all players contribute X decks, choose X decks to play, then play X games, one with each deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Quist
msg tools
What are the plans to encourage organized play? It seems obvious that you can't offer Promo cards, since every deck is unique. So what will bring people into the stores for weekly events? With Magic, the stores could offer prize packs, but with a higher price point and less collectibilty, that doesn't seem logical either. I'm really excited for Keyforge, I am just curious if there are plans for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG has made acrylic tokens for OP kits in the past. I could see them making acrylic key tokens or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eon Chao
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for sharing this Richard. This post plus your section in the rulebook really helped me get my head around the games goal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orson
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wouldn’t mind taking a chance of a deck is cheap but if I have to spend $30 on a deck I do not know if it is good or not, that would kill the game.

And this game does not seem like it has high replayibility but instead is dependent on organized play where every matchup would be fresh.

A pass for me as it is difficult to find groups who are mot already playing MTG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hyruii wrote:
I wouldn’t mind taking a chance of a deck is cheap but if I have to spend $30 on a deck I do not know if it is good or not, that would kill the game.

$10, not $30.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Wells

Largo
Florida
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for contributing Mr. Garfield, and thanks for the games you have designed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orson
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Xelto wrote:
Hyruii wrote:

$10, not $30.

Apologies for being unclear, I meant that in my country where imported games have inflated prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hyruii wrote:
Xelto wrote:
Hyruii wrote:

$10, not $30.

Apologies for being unclear, I meant that in my country where imported games have inflated prices.

Oh. Yeah, I can see wanting to avoid that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...And just when I thought there wasn't much room for innovation in deck versus deck card games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Stecchi
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Richard for your contribution (and for Magic, one of the games that made me a boardgame player).

Just a question about the algorithm. The Asmodee Italia website lists KeyForge as a forthcoming, fully italian translated product. This means that some unique decks will be only in italian, or in french or german and so on? Interesting perspective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benedetto Loffredo
Italy
Portici (NA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gwynor wrote:
Just a question about the algorithm. The Asmodee Italia website lists Keyforge as a forthcoming, fully italian translated product. This means that some unique decks will be only in italian, or in french or german and so on? Interesting perspective.

That's what I expect too. Unique decks regardless of language.

And I hope there won't be any error in translations since I hate to write on cards (don't think there is space for reprinting cards with errors....)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Stecchi
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This. And what about the print runs? I wish Fantasy Flight a success (I like the KeyForge concept), but in this case, I don't know how many italian decks will be printed. It could be not only a language issue for many, but a price issue as well (usually in italian online shops the english decks prices are higher than their italian decks counterparts).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.