David Aubert
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First thing first : If you don’t have the game and want to avoid spoilers, this session is not for you.

Well, this is my first game against OblivAeon… technically it is my second game, the first ended just after a few turns after I found I got the book keeping completly wrong. It was my first lesson : Don’t play 5 heroes by yourself against OblivAeon.
Second lesson : Don’t be ashamed to turn the odds in your favor for the first games. That’s what I do. I picked the best team I could think of to fight It. And the nicest environments too.

Who are the lucky victims ?
F6 Tachyon, because drawing an absurd number of card is good.
Young Legacy, because negating damages and punching everything is good too.
Eternal Haka, because he draws cards and can eat the Aeon Men under Savage Mana.
Doctor Medico, because he is an extraordinary healer.

Where do they fight ?
OblivAeon started in the F6 Tower, the other battle zone being the Mobile Defense Platform. In reserve, the Maerynian Refuge, Magmaria, and the Block waited their turn.

I found myself lucky with the shield, Borr the Unstable arrived with OblivAeon on the F5 Tower while Progeny assaulted the platform. The shield force targets to deal themselves damage and flip if 4 Hero targets are damaged’this way. Well… since no one has way to make new targets, my strategy was to make heroes stick together until the shield flips… then sacrifice someone to get rid of it.
Obliv’ set the tone from the very beginning : 12 damage to everyone, Doc will have a lot of work to do.
Then the hunt for rewards started. I let everyone in the Tower, hoping not card will alter Obly’s move pattern. Tachyon got Summon the Colosseum. Not that great because it looked it will take some time to do it, but a vad mission is better than no mission. Things got way better for Legacy, she got the Infinity Cannon on her first turn and was ready to strike. Haka was joined by Omni-Unity. Not a great reward but a few damage is always good to take. And Doctor Medico was joined by Cursor, that was good news because 4 damage canceled each turn is incredibly good with a hero who mostly damages himself !
Luck was still with me, the Scions moved the Aeon Men from the Platform to the Tower, so Obly won’t eat them and do nasty things. No weird move from Obly, and the shield flipped.

Now on this side, to get rid of it, Obly has to be with at least one hero at the start of Its turn. I choose to sacrifice Haka, Omni-Unity was not the most ultimate ally and the others were too good to let them go too easily. But I took another turn fleeing in front of Obly to clean the Platform of Aeon Men with a Rampage, so that Tachyon could have the Bloodsworn Exhibition. Meanwhile, Legacy recruited Seraph. Before saying goodbye, Haka bested Borr and the explosion brought him at 1 Hp. Then, Voss arrived, ready to play on both side, and he defeated Haka before Obly did it… Crap baskets… but after perusing the rules it wasn’t a bad thing after all ! New hero arrives at end of current turn. So someone will still be there to die and get rid of that shield. So Setting Sun Ra arrived, not even bothering to bring his deck. He has one mission : die and allow another hero to deal 10 irreducible damage later.

Phase 2 was refreshing, no more +4 damage for Obly. So for the new new hero, I brought tge Sentinels, with Doctor Medico and the Idealist in their Adamant form. Everyone was under 14 HP, so if Writhe could get his ability that could be a good damage source. And while there is only 1 equipment in the whole deck, the fact there is 4 heroes could help with Omni-Unity.

Heroes decided to concentrate their fire on Voss and Obly, leaving the Platform alone. And with everyone very low on life, defense arrived. Tachyon gained Arataki Wakarewarewa and Medico allied himself with the Virtuoso of the Void. It was good, but not enough, Voss and Obly dealt damage more than Doc could heal, so plan B. Instead of doing missions, the Sentinels reduced all damages in the Tower by 2 using Haka’s ability.
Voss left for the Platform stopping helpling us to kill Obly, and preventing us to take on them at the same time. The minus damage modifier wasn’t a real problem for heroes, and in the end Legacy used her OblivAeon Shard previously gained to get +10 damage bonus for her and Seraph. OblivAeon felt and moved to phase 3 with the countdown at 1 and 11 destruction token.

The lasr phase was easy, everyone had a ludicrous amount of cards in hand. Progeny moved to the tower and was dispatched by the sentinels and pals : Caspit’s playgroung was here, so ongoings were equipments, equipments were bots and bots dealt 4 damages each thanks to Legacy, Cursor and El Mejor Legado. Faultless was dispatched the same way, and Sanction died just in time so Legacy and Tachyon could retrieve Seraph and Arataki fron their discard pile. Tachyon spammed sonic boom, Legacy spammed take down. Unable to deal damages and play cards, Voss then Obly felt after destroying the Platform. It was replaced by the Refuge. But all that happened ger was Leviathan showing his ugly head before the killing blow.

And the word rejoiced.

Tachyon finished with Bloodsworn Exhibition, Arataki Wakarewarewa, Devastating Aura, Cold War and A Brother’s sacrifice.
Legacy got The Infinity Gun, Seraph, OblivAeon Shard and T. Rex Bot.
The Sentinels got Omni-Unity, El Major Legado and Bloodstone.
Doctor Medico only got Cursor and Virtuosos of the Void.

What did I though of this game ?
It was great ! I really had a blast but I don’t think I will do it again anytime soon.
This game really start with Heroes overwhelmed fighting to get rewards, it really convey a sense of epicness.
But there is some flaws.
The book keeping, if you are doing it solo, you will suffer.
The length, it took me 5 hours.
Funilly enough, the Imminent destruction tokens, they suck at being used that way. Because once you reach 6+ token on the tracks you just waste time counting them. I switched with life token, on of my best idea. However they are great for permanent with need to add counter on them, like Borr and Progeny. The number of token staying small.

I can’t wait for this mode to be on the Video Game. No more problem of book keeping and time length, I will really enjoy this mode very much… otherwise, maybe I will do the tabletop again, if I got a free day all by myself, but I guess I will mostly stick to classic mode and Vengeance.

Thanks for reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hankroyd wrote:
Funilly enough, the Imminent destruction tokens, they suck at being used that way. Because once you reach 6+ token on the tracks you just waste time counting them.

I'm already considering buying some D12s for this game. Some of the missions require "tokens" and some Scions do as well. I'm reluctant to use life counters for Scion tokens for fear of getting them confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aubert
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
Hankroyd wrote:
Funilly enough, the Imminent destruction tokens, they suck at being used that way. Because once you reach 6+ token on the tracks you just waste time counting them.

I'm already considering buying some D12s for this game. Some of the missions require "tokens" and some Scions do as well. I'm reluctant to use life counters for Scion tokens for fear of getting them confused.

Well, I used life counter for the mission without problem, and for the scions, the ones I got never had more than 4, so the devasration tokens were useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
Hankroyd wrote:

I've been using dice (six-sided, though generally I set them to 5s for ease of counting) to keep track of life in this game for a very long time. Primarily prompted by Captain Cosmic and his legion of 4-health targets who were a huge PITA and would frequently run the supply out of ones. Now I only use the 25 tokens (though I'm sure the 100 and 1000 tokens will see usage in the Oblivaeon game).

Anyways, chessex makes bricks of 36 d6 which are perfect for things like this. I keep three such bricks in the Sentinels box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hankroyd wrote:

Surreal.

davypi wrote:
Hankroyd wrote:

I use two d10s for heroes, a 00-99 life dial for villains, and d6/d20 for other targets.
Makes your life so much easier, but if you do that then for god's sake use spindown dice. Saves quite some time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aubert
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Hankroyd wrote:

Surreal.

To be honest I 'wasted' time reading cards to be sure to make no mistake. But still, I guess if I played it knowing perfectly all cards, I would have spent 4 hours (setup and cleaning up non included). Still quite impressive. But hey' it's the final battle, not the standard game mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hankroyd wrote:
To be honest I 'wasted' time reading cards to be sure to make no mistake. But still, I guess if I played it knowing perfectly all cards, I would have spent 4 hours (setup and cleaning up non included). Still quite impressive. But hey' it's the final battle, not the standard game mode.

It's true but still, Christopher advertised two hours only during the KS campaign :/ Which I can now tolerate, but 4 hours, no way.

How about footprint?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
It's true but still, Christopher advertised two hours only during the KS campaign

Has any board game ever been remotely close to the time printed on the side of the box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:
It's true but still, Christopher advertised two hours only during the KS campaign

Has any board game ever been remotely close to the time printed on the side of the box?

We're talking about a 3 hours difference here though.

And yeah, pretty much any timed game is true to their advertised time printed on the box

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: playtime - 5 hours isn't that surprising. Vengance isn't supposed to be a long game, but the first time we played it, it took four hours. The setup for Oblivaeon feels similarly complex. The Scion and Oblivion decks can trigger off of each other. They also destroy environment cards which, in turn, might set off other triggers. At its core a normal game has six turns per round (4 hero, 1 env, 1 villain) but an Oblivaen game has 9 turns per round (1 O, 2 scions, 2 env, 4 hero) not to mention players have an additional step during their turn now and also having reset their play area every time they are knocked out. Maybe if this were played often enough that everyone at the table knew what they were doing, you could get this down to two hours. But even then I'm skeptical. I've already told my group that we are going to have to plan this on a weekend. There isn't any way we could finish this over the course of a normal game night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keeping in mind the first time through is usually double the printed time, 5 hours isn't too bad. But I have a warped sense of "bad" for game times (18XX anyone? Civilization?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well to be fair it's still shorter than Dark Souls Though you can stop Dark Souls after the mini-boss and do three hours, then three hours. Then three hours with the mega bosses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aubert
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Hankroyd wrote:

It's true but still, Christopher advertised two hours only during the KS campaign :/ Which I can now tolerate, but 4 hours, no way.

How about footprint?

Sorry, but I don't know what you mean with 'footprint'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hankroyd wrote:

How much table space does it need?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hankroyd wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:
Hankroyd wrote:

How about footprint?

Table presence. How much table space it takes. How large it is. Small footprint games can be played on a M:tG playmat, a tray, a coffee table, or, in the extreme cases, your hand.
Regular SotM has a rather big footprint, Vengeance a pretty big footprint...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aubert
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It take more place than a regular game but not that much, so if you can play Sotm on your table, you will be able to play Obly too, even if things got a little tight.
Let's say Obly take around 4-5 players Vengeance game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hankroyd wrote:
It take more place than a regular game but not that much, so if you can play Sotm on your table, you will be able to play Obly too, even if things got a little tight.
Let's say Obly take around 4-5 players Vengeance game.

Oh okay, that's not as much as I expected so that's reassuring. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls