Hide
12 Posts

Root» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Help control the cat population! Strategies versus the cats! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug
msg tools
Played three games (3, 2, 3 players) and the cats won each game. What’s the best strategy to defeat the cats? The cats constant points from building is hard to deal with. Is tactic number one to attack sawmills first to starve the cats of wood?

Help defeat the cats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cut off their supply lines. The cats need to rule where the wood is, where they are building, and a path of clearings in between.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aggressively attack their front lines. They start with one warrior per clearing, but those are individually easy to defeat in battle, or just outnumber. Once they don’t rule the clearing, they can’t build there, and they’ll rapidly fill in build spots around the Keep, but then they’ll need to campaign heavily to keep expanding. Keep them bottled up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
Their starting position is intimidating, but a lot more vulnerable than it looks. The Eyrie can pretty easily take territory from them in the far corner, so this isn't a fight they want to have (usually, at least, an early alliance with the Vagabond to feed them cards for Field Hospitals to simultaneously slow Eyrie expansion and defend the keep could potentially support this? Pretty nonstandard opening but could be viable.) at which point they'll want to fall back. Once they're confined to a small area, they're forced to focus on protecting themselves rather than cranking out VP with sawmills. Unlike the other factions, the cats have no "safety net" mechanic so if they focus entirely on VP they put themselves at risk of complete elimination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Heitzinger
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Eventually the cats run out of spots to build more things, so they have to start spreading out very thinly to continue building, which isn't a good idea because it makes them too vulnerable. It's at that point that cats in my games stop scoring points from building and must shift to scoring through crafting and battle.

I think so long as eyrie never turmoil, they can always beat cats.

Alliance can never beat cats 1 on 1,so they need assistance from vagabond or eyrie.

Vagabond vs. Cats is not a match I've seen yet, but i imagine it would be very difficult for the vagabond due to a slow buildup of items. Cats could also attack the raccoon every single turn he isn't in a forest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
Rachelisapoopy wrote:

If the Eyrie never turmoils, their opponents are idiots. The Eyrie's opponents should be actively trying to get them to break their decree, not just letting them build an engine uninterrupted like this is some kind of euro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ethereality wrote:
If the Eyrie never turmoils, their opponents are idiots. The Eyrie's opponents should be actively trying to get them to break their decree, not just letting them build an engine uninterrupted like this is some kind of euro.

The Eyrie have a decision to make. More bird cards make it easier to keep the decree, but they loose more VP if/when they turmoil. Fewer bird cards add more restrictions and make it easier to turmoil, but they loose less when they do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that the Eyrie win ties for rule against opponents and you only have to rule to build (you don't have to eliminate enemy warriors). You can move a single Eyrie warrior into a location with a single starting Cat warrior, claim "rule" and build a Roost. Even an undefended Roost or single warrior prevents a single cat from building there (it may not be hard for them to clear you out, but that wastes precious actions).

I did reasonably well with the Depot (Vizier in Move and Build) and no Battle Decree cards for the first 3-4 turns. Added to Recruit and Move to spread quickly and build up warriors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Heitzinger
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Ethereality wrote:
Rachelisapoopy wrote:

Well, if the eyrie are playing mostly bird cards and are very careful where they put non-bird cards, it's very possible to never turmoil. Of course, it's easy to mess them up if they get ganged up on, but I was only thinking of the 1v1 with all this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan West
msg tools
mbmb
Meta: I don't know how moderation on BGG works, but would it be possible to move this thread to the Strategy Board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of games like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lucretiel wrote:
Meta: I don't know how moderation on BGG works, but would it be possible to move this thread to the Strategy Board?

At the top of the page under "Recommend", click the red X and select "Wrong Forum" for this thread. Eventually a mod will come by and determine if and where it should go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stanley Laurel
United States
flag msg tools
Rachelisapoopy wrote:
Alliance can never beat cats 1 on 1

Just 2 days ago I beat the cats one vs one as the alliance. Believe in the revolution
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.