Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my second official Nemo's War session report.

You can see the first journey, and how it went here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2028626/captains-log-first-...

My aim is to make these session reports as detailed as possible. Each turn will be called a "week" in the Captain's Log.

This is my 7th time playing through Nemo's War, so I would consider myself still relatively inexperienced, but improving. If you have corrections, recommendations or suggestions between parts of a journey, feel free to make them in the comments.

Setup

Nemo will once again set out with the science motive. I'm going to stick with the same motive as the first time, because I think we learned a fair bit from the first journey. I will try to see if we can beat the game this time.

As we set out to sea, you should know the following:

We will be playing without any expansions (neither Deadly Seas, nor Upgrades).

We will play at the Sailor difficulty level, making the game easier.

We won't be playing with "taking the blows", or any other optional rules.

We start with the "Monstrous Design" upgrade. The 4 random available upgrade cards are "Steam Torpedoes", "Arcane Library", "Hydro Drive" and "Double Hull".

I will make no pretense of dynamically calculating the score this time. I tried in the first game, and it requires far too much diligence and attention to do correctly. Instead, we will score it all at the end. If anyone is eager to know the score at a particular point after a post, let me know and I'll try to do one to let you know.

Anyways, let's get to it, shall we?

Captain's Log, Week 1

We set out on our journey from the North Atlantic, once again seeking out science and fame that will allow us to lead humanity from tyranny.

Event phase: The Transatlantic Cable (keep). Hmm... I could use this during the current turn, since I'm in the North Atlantic now. However, I don't need the incite actions, nor am I particularly pressed for a free search. It costs notoriety, which I need to keep low this game. I think I'll just keep it for now.

Placement - W:1,6 Oh! What a waste of such a good role so early (since we start at 2 action points)! I place hidden ships in the Western Pacific (WP) and the Indian Ocean (IO). Action points increase to their maximum of 5

Actions:
1) First action will be to search for treasure, risking a crew. Our roll of 6(+3) is a success and we grab treasure token worth 2 VP.
2-3) Go on an adventure! We draw "Captain Nemo's Thunderbolt". For this test, we'll risk the Nemo and the Hull. Our roll is 8(+4) and we pass easily. Notoriety goes up to 1, and we draw a total of 3 treasure tokens (2 were on top of the adventure deck, plus we get one for the pass effect). Good stash! We got a 3 VP token, and TWO Re-roll (or 4 VP) tokens!
4) Use it or lose it. I don't want to use 2 actions for an adventure, in case I get a lull turn next turn. But what can I do with one action? Stalk attack or move. I think I'll move, and try to grab some treasures next turn. Move to South Atlantic.

Captain's Log, Week 2

Event Phase: The Treasure Fleet. We roll a 4, placing The Treasure Fleet token in the South Atlantic. I'll overflow the treasure available back to the North Atlantic. (Deja Vu to get this so early, just like our first journey!)

Placement - W:4,6 placing a hidden ship in the South Atlantic, and another in the Indian Ocean. Our action marker moves from 1 to 3.

Our current status:

Actions:
1) Who can deny the lure of the treasure fleet? Not I. We'll search, risking a crew. We roll a 3(+3) which would be a failure, but I think it is best to expend one of those retained re-roll treasure tokens. Our new result is 5(+3), granting us a success, though our notoriety goes up to 2. The treasure we draw is a 2 VP treasure token.
2) Once again, sitting on enough to do 1 action if I don't want to go to zero (I don't). Hmm... the treasure fleet is calling me. Time to incite. I will risk a crew. My roll is 8(+5) and we cause a revolt! An uprising cube is placed, and notoriety goes back down to zero.

And that's it for the start of our journey. I look forward to continuing it with you shortly.

If you have suggestions or comments, feel free to comment. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Erni
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be considered a pessimist, but I like retaining such valued "mitigation" as a "Re-roll" gem for "big potato" misfires. Failing that Search (irritating as that is) comes only at the small cost of a Hull and Crew -- since those resources are now inefficiently "maxed" (consequence of the Sailor level), losing one each is not much of a loss. Also, you didn't have much pressing to do with that last AP -- Incitement was nice, but now Notoriety and ALL the resources will be unable to profit from the many "adds" the game can provide.

I know having everything "maxed" is hardly a major problem, and currently you are "awash" with mitigation -- but that can change...on a dime doubloon, I like deep reserves of "help".

Curious to know your strategic thoughts. There is nothing wrong with enjoyed a "pleasure cruise" with the Nautilus and enjoying the experiences, -- I like planning the whole game from Turn 1 (doesn't mean I won't change) to focus my energies, but that is about 100 games of experience talking. Science is probably my least favorite Motive as "what works best" doesn't feature the best attributes of Nemo's War, but that is most definitely a personal opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameBreaker wrote:
I may be considered a pessimist, but I like retaining such valued "mitigation" as a "Re-roll" gem for "big potato" misfires. Failing that Search (irritating as that is) comes only at the small cost of a Hull and Crew -- since those resources are now inefficiently "maxed"

You asked for my thoughts here. Here were my tactical ideas:

When doing this, I was thinking that first, I have 3 rerolls at this time. If I had less, then I would indeed be inclined to save them for the dreaded snake eyes. From an economy point of view, I'm thinking that to regain a hull will cost 2 actions, plus I'd likely want to spend a VP token to ensure its success. I'll call it a net zero on the victory points (reroll token is worth 4), but the 2 action points mean something - perhaps an additional adventure. Also, there is a reason I want to keep Hull at or near the top, and it is honestly those science points it is worth. I guess I could have double-dipped on crew, but I don't really like it getting close to the +2 zone.

But, to your point, I AM discounting the contents of the event/adventure deck and tokens that could later increase Hull spontaneously. I'm not sure what the ratio is, as this is something you've got experience with, and I don't. So, from an efficiency point of view, it might make sense for me to let them go down a bit. But I also don't want to get caught in a situation near the endgame where I've kept it 1 or 2 down from the top, and then have it skip another spot or two (by rising action, say) to the point where I can't bring it back up in the time I have remaining.

Using the extra AP to search again - well, that I didn't think of, but there's plenty of opportunity for Notoriety to rise. Moreso, hopefully, then losing Hull.

And that's why I did it!

As to strategic planning - I'm not planning on switching motives this time around. I think I will stay the course with science. I will likely be grabbing that fog machine as my reward for doing so. In the meantime, I will scoop the 2 upgrades worth science (steam torpedoes and hydro drive) when I have the time (and salvage). Actually, if notoriety is good at the time, I would consider getting another "science" related upgrade instead of Fog Machine, come to think of it - but it will depend on circumstance.

This game (as opposed to the last one), I'm in no hurry to acquire those upgrades and will wait until I need to shoot a few ships before doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Erni
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly using that Re-roll gem here is way better than having 4 measly VPs in the end, and there are only 5 Event cards that are "wasted" by being "all topped up" (and you aren't "blind attacking" slavers anytime soon). I am used to seeing a large percentage of Events very early (half the Adventure deck being "seen" Act I), and like to be "ready" for all "goodies" -- but that is far less important if you are not sacrificing your "officer corps" first Lull.

I like your plan to be patient with your attacks -- far less "inefficient attacking" will be needed overall if you stick to popping "carefully positioned" weak revealed ships. You have a lot of different directions to go with your Upgrade strategy -- meshing that with your ship placement, movement, Notoriety, and VP strategies can be very interesting. I am personally fond of being the patient, but relentless hunter -- but these "soft" Motives still offer thought provoking play. I will "stay tuned" to your saga.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain's Log, Week 3

Event Phase: The Indian Ocean. A great card. I actually intend to meander over to the Indian Ocean soon, as it seems to be filling. But until I get there, I think I'll start risking Nemo instead of Crew, knowing I can top it up quickly with this card (and I want adventure cards in the pass pile for scoring)

Placement - W:4,6 Hmm.. same as last turn. Placing a hidden ship in the South Atlantic, and I will overflow the hidden ship from Indian Ocean into the European Seas. Our action marker moves from 1 to 3.

Our current status:

Actions:
1-2) Let's give the adventure deck a try! I draw "A Mass Execution". Fail and gain 1d3 notoriety. The result is 2, so notoriety goes from 0 to 2.

Captain's Log, Week 4

Event Phase: Vigo Bay (keep). A great card to use later. Do I you risk 7 victory points to potentially grab more? A tough call.

Placement - W:2,3 Hidden ships are placed in the Eastern Pacific and North Atlantic. Action points increase to 2.

Time to move onward to towards the Indian Ocean, I think? Nothing else to do with the action point (other than incite). So let's go.

Actions:
1) Move to the Cape of Good Hope

Captain's Log, Week 5

Event Phase: Magnetic Mines. Nice! I love this card. I will risk both a Nemo and a Hull for the change to add it to purchasable upgrades too, as it is great in combat AND it is worth science points. The roll is 8(+4) and we succeed, adding it to the upgrade vending machine.

Placement - W:4,6 Looks like I'm moving in the right direction. A Hidden ship overflows from the South Atlantic to the Cape of Good Hope. Another ship overflows from the Indian Ocean to the Western Pacific.

Our current status:

Actions:
1) Move to the Indian Ocean
2) Perform a search action, risking a Nemo. A lucky roll of 10(+2) gives me a Eureka! and I draw 2 treasure tokens. I grab a 3 VP token, and my second draw is nother 3 VP token!

Captain's Log, Week 6

Event Phase: Captain Nemo's Diaries (keep). I know from before that this CAN be modified by DRM effects such as crew, and rerolls, so this makes it a good idea to hold onto those as best I can.

Placement - W:1,5 Nice to see some new numbers. I place hidden ships in the European Seas and the Western Pacific. Action points gloriously advance from 1 to 5.

Our current status:

Actions:
1-2) Let's go on an adventure. We draw "The Chinese Treasure Fleet" and what a boon that is! We overflow a treasure to the Arctic Ocean from WP, and add a treasure to the Indian Ocean. Since we're in the Indian Ocean, we pass and gain a treasure token, which turns out to be a 4 VP token.
3-4) I think we'll go on yet another adventure. I could search, but then I'd be at a loss for that last action point again. I draw "Public Opinion" for my adventure. This is a terrible card for my motive, so I'll return this to the bottom of the adventure deck instead of resolving it.

Captain's Log, Week 7

Event Phase: Act Two! Dark Yellow ships added to the pool, and a black die added for placement. Next event card is "A Novel Proposal". Hmm.. I don't particularly need any more upgrades, as it may be a challenge to buy the ones I've targeted. I much prefer to keep my Hull intact, so I'll roll for this test without risking a Hull. The result is a 4, and it appears I used good judgement.

Placement - W:4,6 B:6 A hidden ship overflows from South Atlantic to Cape Horn. The "Lord Clyde" (7,10) is drawn and placed in the Cape of Good Hope. The "Cutty Sark" (-,9), a Clipper (also, a whiskey), is drawn and placed in the Indian Ocean.

Our current status:

Actions:
1) I will stalk attack the Cutty Sark. To do so, I will risk a Nemo. I roll a 3(+3) and fail to sink her. My Nemo goes down, and my Notoriety increases to 3.
Free) I will use "The Indian Ocean" keep card, passing it, gaining a Nemo, and increasing Notoriety to 4.
2) I will incite, risking a crew. The roll is 6(+5) and notoriety decreases to 3 and an uprising cube is placed.

Captain's Log, Week 8

Event Phase: "The Earth wants not new Continents, but new men" is a test. I will risk a Nemo (not sure I like this). The roll is 4(+2) and I'm three away from winning. Since Nemo goes down by 2, this essentially loses me 12 victory points. I think it's worth it to preserve... First officer ? Or reroll though? Hmm... I'll go with reroll. And the new result is 8(+2) and we pass.

Placement - W:3,4 B:4 Hidden ships are placed in the North Atlantic, once again NA (from the South Atlantic). A ship token is revealed, the Frigate "Giuseppe Garibaldi" (6,9), and placed in Cape Horn.

Our current status:

Actions:
1) Let's hunt down that Cutty Sark again with a stalk attack. This time, risking a crew. A roll of 8(+4) does the trick and we will take her as salvage. Luckily notoriety stays put due to Monstrous Design.

And that will just about do it for tonight, since my photography equipment needs to be charged.

Until tomorrow night!

(p.s. If I'm counting correctly, my current score is at 116. I have no idea if that's good or bad for the 8th turn of the game!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameBreaker wrote:
Certainly using that Re-roll gem here is way better than having 4 measly VPs in the end

True, but you turned out to be correct in that the re-rolls seem to be dissolving away faster than I expected. !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Upon reviewing my latest session post, I noted that during my week 3 adventure draw, I forgot the rule that says I can place the adventure at the bottom of the adventure deck, which I should have done with "Mass Execution", because it gained me 2 notoriety with no benefit. Unfortunately for me, no take backs.

Oddly enough, I suddenly remembered that very same rule during week 6 when Public Opinion showed up, and it was (deservedly) placed on the bottom.

So, if I ultimately lose because of 2 extra notoriety on week 3, we will all know why!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Erni
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrsuitcase wrote:
Captain's Log, Week 3

Event Phase: The Indian Ocean. A great card. I actually intend to meander over to the Indian Ocean soon, as it seems to be filling. But until I get there, I think I'll start risking Nemo instead of Crew, knowing I can top it up quickly with this card (and I want adventure cards in the pass pile for scoring)

Due to my (perhaps perverse) style, I like to get Nemo "tuned up" to the "right kind of crazy" (Steady) early -- several times I have killed of my First Officer twice in the same Lull turn (finding "Aronnax's Determination). Thus I would avoid the Indian Ocean for now (only planning to "visit" the IO once), planning to "mine" that resource at some much later date. But that style certainly has its risks (one reason I like copious mitigation saved), and I don't care about "keeping Nemo high" for VPs unless I am the Explorer.

Quote:
Actions:
1-2) Let's give the adventure deck a try! I draw "A Mass Execution". Fail and gain 1d3 notoriety. The result is 2, so notoriety goes from 0 to 2.

I think I physically "clutched my head" when I read this, but you caught the mistake quickly...and well, these things are going to happen early in your career (I have even done worse gaffes AFTER playing dozens of games if I have "taken a break" from the game for some months). Kudos for not "rectifying" the error.

Quote:
Captain's Log, Week 4

Event Phase: Vigo Bay (keep). A great card to use later. Do I you risk 7 victory points to potentially grab more? A tough call.

I always "grab" if convenient, 7 VPs is just bean-counting -- what you can get drawing can bring "energy" into fulfilling your strategy (AND perhaps more VPs). If I can complete my strategy I know I will win (the fiddly bean-counting will just state by how much), if I don't fulfill my "destiny", I will be disappointed even if the "accountants" say I have Triumphed. But that is just my "spin".

Quote:
Event Phase: Magnetic Mines. Nice! I love this card. I will risk both a Nemo and a Hull for the change to add it to purchasable upgrades too, as it is great in combat AND it is worth science points. The roll is 8(+4) and we succeed, adding it to the upgrade vending machine.

The Mines this early is a huge boon (would have been WELL worth mitigation if needed), later you will be able to place those 6/10 and 7/10 ships in your "path" to most efficiently "balance" the seas -- other than the "immoral marus" (once that give bonuses), you can let the rest of the "maru fleet" mainly "ripen" into warships.

Quote:
Event Phase: Act Two! Dark Yellow ships added to the pool, and a black die added for placement. Next event card is "A Novel Proposal". Hmm.. I don't particularly need any more upgrades, as it may be a challenge to buy the ones I've targeted. I much prefer to keep my Hull intact, so I'll roll for this test without risking a Hull. The result is a 4, and it appears I used good judgement.

I agree -- even if you had rolled a "7" or "8", it was the right decision.

Quote:
Event Phase: "The Earth wants not new Continents, but new men" is a test. I will risk a Nemo (not sure I like this). The roll is 4(+2) and I'm three away from winning. Since Nemo goes down by 2, this essentially loses me 12 victory points. I think it's worth it to preserve... First officer ? Or reroll though? Hmm... I'll go with reroll. And the new result is 8(+2) and we pass.

I seriously dislike this Event -- unless Nemo is "tuned" (+3) AND I have mitigation (or am desperate), I normally don't commit Nemo here ("math" just isn't good). I also hate "re-rolling" when I need a 7 or more -- too much chance of a wasted resource. Of course the searing memory of HUNDREDS (literally) of much more horrible die rolls is rattling around in my brain -- the ones that make you instantly reach for the "mitigation zone", and hope you still have "one in cupboard".

Understanding the VP structure for your Motive is an essential part of winning play, but I would advise against paying too much attention to "at the moment" VP considerations (especially this early). Yes, its nice to get 8 extra VPs for "maxing Nemo" at games end, but I have found I can get a LOT more VPs eventually letting him "slide" into the that Steady state "pocket"...and keeping him there.

Quote:
(p.s. If I'm counting correctly, my current score is at 116. I have no idea if that's good or bad for the 8th turn of the game!)
Actually, I can't tell you -- such is my disinterest in early VP totals, I have never counted (at this stage). Many times I have been a "Failure" at start of turn 21, and "Triumphant" two turns later -- its all about executing "the plan" for me. Knowing what needs to be done, and avoiding the many "attractive nuisances" took QUITE a while to refine however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain's Log, Week 9

Event Phase: "A Pearl Worth Ten Million" (keep). Great card! Straight up, it's worth 9 VP. However, I can give that up for a chance at 3 treasure tokens instead... hmm.. I don't think so. This one will probably just stay in my tableau and give me the 9VP at the end of the game.

Placement - W:3,4 B:5 Looks like a bit of an action drought here. Placing a hidden ship in the Arctic Ocean. There's no more hidden for the South Atlantic, so I draw the clipper "Taeping" (-,9) and I will keep it in the South Atlantic. Finally a hidden ship overflows from the European Seas into our current Indian Ocean location. Our action marker creeps up from 1 to 2.

Our current status:

Actions:
1) Tough call. Move to the Western Pacific? Or stick around and search? I think I'll stay put and search, risking a crew. The roll is 10(+3), which is another incredible Eureka! (lucky dice!). I draw two treasure tokens and they are a 5 VP token, plus an "X and draw 2", which are a 2 VP token, and another 2 VP token.

Captain's Log, Week 10

Event Phase: "All by Electricity" (keep). Another great keep card, worth VP and some much needed actions!

Placement - W:1,6 B:2 No Action Drought this round! A hidden ship overflows to Central Pacific, a hidden ship goes to the Eastern Pacific, and a ship is drawn - the Arapiles (6,10), which I will place in... tough call here... the Indian Ocean. Action points go all the way to 5.

Our current status:

Actions:
1) First action is to stalk attack the "Arapiles" (6,10). It attacks us first and rolls a 7. For our attack, we will risk a crew, and we roll 7(+4) and we'll add it to salvage.
2) Second action is to stalk attack a hidden ship. This turns out to be the passenger ship "Napoleon III" (-,8). I will risk a crew and this should be an easy kill. A roll of 8(+4) proves it so, and I add it to salvage as well.
3-4) Now we get to the point of risking attacks on warships and hidden ships. We'll refit the nautilus, risking a crew and giving up a 3 VP token. The roll is 9(+6) and we gain an upgrade with 1 fewer salvage. I will pick the Hydro Drive, as I want more action economy for my moves if I'm going to risk letting the oceans fill up.

Captain's Log, Week 11

Event Phase: "An Underwater Forest". I'll risk both the Nemo and the Crew for this test (9). The roll of 10(+4) succeeds, and with the pass I draw 2 treasure tokens - a 2 VP token and a retain for 1 action token.

Placement - W:3,4 B:4 A passenger ship "Hannah More" (-,8) is drawn and placed in the South Atlantic. The ironclad "Ferdinand Max" (7,10) is placed in the North Atlantic, and the ironclad "Huascar" (7,10) is also placed in the North Atlantic. Action points increase from 1 to 2.

Our current status:

Actions:
1) The South Atlantic/North Atlantic corridor is starting to hit critical, so I've got to move there. The new Hydro Drive gets us there in one action.
2) Next thing to do is stalk and sink the Hannah More. We risk a crew and roll 8(+4), and add her to salvage.

Captain's Log, Week 12

Event Phase: "Ocean Wealth" (play). Notoriety increases to 4, and I place treasures in the South Pacific, Central Pacific, South Atlantic, Cape Horn , Indian Ocean, and the Cape of Good Hope.

Placement - W:1,5 B:2 A hidden ship is placed in the Central Pacific, another in the Eastern Pacific, and the last is placed in the Indian Ocean.

Our current status:

Actions:
1-2) First action will be to refit. We'll risk a crew and a 2 VP gem. 10(+5) is another brilliance, and I'll pay one salvage for Magnetic Mines.
3) Move to the North Atlantic
4) Risky, but I'll stalk attack the "Ferdinand Max" (7,10) with our magnetic mines. We attack first, and I'll risk a crew. 9(+4,-1) succeeds, and we'll add it to salvage.

Captain's Log, Week 13

Event Phase: "Shortage of Air"(test 10). I will certainly risk a crew for this. 10(+3) passes. My rolls seem to be undefeatable! (hope I didn't jinx it)

Placement - W:1,5 B:6 A hidden ship is placed in the North Atlantic and another in the Indian Ocean. The passenger ship "Donau" (-,8) is drawn and added to the Western Pacific. Action points increase from zero to 4.

Our current status:

Actions:
1) We'll stalk attack the "Huascar" (7,10). Risking a crew, we fire first and an 8(+3) does the job, adding her to Salvage.
2-3) Refit action. I'll risk a crew and a 2 VP token. A roll of 7(+5) once again gives me a brilliance! I will grab the Arcane Library for a single salvage.
Free) Now I'll use the "Transatlantic Cable" keep card. First action is a search action, and notoriety goes up to 5. I risk a crew and roll 4(+4) and grab a token, but notoriety goes up to 6. It's a 3 VP token. Next, I'll incite, risking a crew, notoriety goes up to 7. The roll is 9(+6!) and notoriety falls to 5 and a cube is placed. Lastly, another incite, risking crew, moving notoriety to 6 again. The roll is 9(+6) again, and notoriety falls to 4 and another cube is placed.
Free) I will risk it and use "Vigo Bay". The Bay would have been worth 7 VP. Let's see if it was worth it. Treasure tokens drawn are 1 VP, 3 VP, then a Wonder (City of Khambhat)

Captain's Log, Week 14

Event Phase: "Lost Time" (play). I've got to remove an available upgrade card for purchase from the game - I will choose the Double Hull.

Placement - W:1,2 B:2 A mail ship "Themopylae" (-,8) is placed in the Western Pacific. The "Star of India" (-,10) is placed in the Eastern Pacific. The frigate "Abraham Lincoln" is placed in the Central Pacific

Our current status:

Actions:
1) Move to the Western Pacific.
2) Attempt to sink the "Donau" (-,8) with a stalk attack. Risking a crew, we roll 3(+4) and we're one short. I'll take my beating and crew decreases by one (roll was 1,2) and notoriety goes up to 5.

And, though I want to continue, I will call it a night here. Hope you enjoyed this session.

Points are right now at 162
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Erni
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Choosing Hydro-Drive as first Upgrade heralds a more dynamic (Explorer-style) Science game. I have to admit it is more "fun" style than I am used to, and if you continue your good fortune, likely very successful.

Looking back at this game from the beginning, I would have been far more "boring" -- probably would have only moved away from the North Atlantic turn 11 (after doing 9 Adventures, one Search, and two kills...Garibaldi and a Clipper for Salvage). And then sat some more in the South Atlantic waiting for the board to mature (and all those Adventures to resonate) -- patiently waiting for "first Lull" and the decimation of my Officer corps (and most of the remaining Adventure deck). But that gets tedious even for me, so I am not really recommending such an approach -- you're obviously enjoying this game a great deal.

"My" kind of Science game CAN be frenetically exciting in the end though -- I've had games where I "snaked" my way from SA, NA, ES, IO (through the Tunnel), WP, and CP doing what I needed to do (with the board "set" the way I liked it) and then "set up shop" in the Eastern Pacific. Clearing the EP for Salvage, and then adding Strengthened Prow to my Magnetic Mines...and then wait for the fun. The last few turns seeing waves of "strafing" Imperial warships being massacred by "uber-Nautilus" (and carefully stocked mitigation) -- quite a rush for my otherwise quiet, scholarly Science Nemo. Anyway, the beauty of Nemo's War is not just that there are four very distinct Motives, but each Motive has several different lines of play that can very successful.

One think I would advise against (if at all possible) is "stacking warships" in Oceans that you plan to do "do stuff" in (ala Huascar, and Ferdinand Max in the NA here). I will gleefully stack nasty warships like cordwood in Oceans that I will never visit (or revisit), but I seriously dislike (perhaps to an irrational level) those -1 modifiers -- an exception is when you are just making an "Explorer-style" sniping "Torpedo pass" of a maru in a heavily escorted Ocean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Wes,

I chose the Hydro Drive for action economy. In my opinion, if I need to become more mobile when we hit Act III, I know I can save actions at that critical time, when dice and placement can make an area critical very very quickly. This isn't as important if I "go bold" on my attacks in tough spots, but that costs notoriety, which I'm actively trying to keep in check. (and to be honest, I don't have a feel for how much I can push).

Hydro Drive also allows me some beneficial options - to jump quickly to spots with an available treasure marker, or even this possibility - to hunt out a lone Maru or two to get one or two levels on the tonnage track if circumstances allow (what if I don't get a tunnel to the Europeans Seas? That's a lot of actions to go there and back, normally)

So, yes, it is partially so that I can meander where I please - but I think this gives me options, and mitigates some risk. In the end, will it have given me better action economy than the torpedoes? Hmm.. tough to say. But those torpedoes are worth a science point, so they are still on my agenda (though perhaps not as necessary for me to survive)!

For the Ocean stacking, I did that for a very specific reason. NA and SA were my only options. I didn't want the warship in SA, because it could apply a -1 to my attack on the Maru. I wanted that Salvage GUARANTEED (well, almost) so that I could get the Magnetic Mines. With the mines, I felt I could push the envelope a bit when getting to the North Atlantic. Particularly because I fire first, so if the roll was bad, I could mitigate if needed (having all my crew intact) - at least on the first ship.

But, your placement idea is generally sound. I see the need to limit warships to 1 in the major oceans. In this case, I "wagered" a better chance in the South, knowing the outcome would improve (via refit) the gamble I had made tougher in the North.

Also, I hear you on waiting for a lull. My officer corp and that +1 action token are calling out to me. But, I might choose not to kill off the 1st officer, he might be needed for Nemo's Diary. I've still got to do some math - the cost of losing Nemo points - how many, etc. I will worry about that IF I get a lull turn!

And yes, I'm indeed focusing on the bean counting a bit now. And I get the impression with Science, you have to think that way. I'm not sure how frantic things will get in the end game trying to prevent an imperialist based defeat, but if I can stave that off, I think that I'll appreciate making decisions with VP benefits in mind. And to that end, mitigating an imperialist victory due to my relative inexperience by buying Hydro Drive makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Erni
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like how you have a well-thought reason for everything you do -- whether you are successful or not, there will always be something to learn each game when put in that kind of effort (and there is a startling amount of things to learn in Nemo).

I agree with your trepidation concerning Torpedoes here -- you are equipped with both Monstrous Design AND Magnetic Mines, Torps just aren't worth the effort (except as a luxury item when everything is going "swimmingly"). Sharp difference from the Explorer, who usually adores Torpedoes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameBreaker wrote:
Sharp difference from the Explorer, who usually adores Torpedoes.

Oddly enough, something I haven't mentioned is that I will actually consider a switch when Act III comes! Possibly to Explorer.

This time around, I will be counting the VPs at that moment and seeing where I stand in each motive first.

I'm not sure the scores will be that different, since I have so many treasure tokens, but we'll see!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain's Log, Week 15

Event Phase: "42 Centigrade" (test 10). I think I'd prefer not to risk it, BUT, I need those science points (not the extra hull), so I will. Risk Nemo and a Hull and roll... 8(+4) and we pass! The extra hull we gained is lost though.

Placement - W:1,5 B:6 A freighter, the "Agamemnon" (-,8) is placed in the Western Pacific. A hidden ship overflows from the European Seas into the North Atlantic. The mail ship "City of Adelaide" (-,8) is drawn an placed in the Western Pacific. Action points go from 0 up to 4.

Our current status:

Actions:
1) Time to go on a Nemo kill crazy rampage! We'll attack the "Agamemnon" (-,8) first with a stalk attack, risking crew. 6(+4) does the job and I'll add it to Salvage.
2) A second stalk attack versus the "Thermopylae" (-,8) and crew is risked again. 5(+4) makes for a close roll, but a success. That one goes to salvage as well and Notoriety goes up by 1. You might say "but wait, Mr. Suitcase! Why didn't you go for the one with no notoriety?!". I say Stay Tuned!
3-4) Refit the Nautilus. We'll risk a crew only this time. The roll is 6(+3) for a success, and we'll purchase those Steam Torpedoes for 4 salvage!
Free) Torpedo attack vs the "Donau". We roll a 6, and she sinks, and I will add my first ship to the tonnage track! No notoriety gained.

Captain's Log, Week 16

Event Phase: "At Full Steam" (keep). Just need to sink a warship in one of the Atlantics! How hard could that be?

Placement - W:4,6 B:6 A hidden ship is placed in the South Atlantic, and 2 hidden ships are placed in the Western Pacific (overflow from the Indian). Action points increase from 0 to 2.

Our current status:

Actions:
Free) Shoot down the "Adelaide" with Torpedoes. We roll 6 and she sinks, and the "Adelaide" is added to tonnage.
1) Incite, risking a crew. The result is 4(+6) and notoriety falls to 5, and an uprising cube is added.
2) Incite again, risking a crew. 6(+6,-1) is rolled and notoriety falls to 4. (looks like I may not need that Fog Machine when Act III hits!)

Captain's Log, Week 17

Event Phase: Act III ! A big deal. Should I change motive? If I do, the only reasonable one would be Explorer. There's way too much work to load up the tonnage track for the other two. I think to find out if this is a good idea, I should tally the current score as if I were pursuing the science motive - and the result is 187. And now I'll tally as if I was an explorer and compare - the result is 182. Very close!

I don't think it's enough to change motives. For my bonus, I'll take the Electro-Powered Crew Armor and make it available for purchase (it's the only upgrade worth science points, and I don't really need any others). From now on, if a ship is worth less than 2 VP, I'll salvage instead towards this upgrade.

Next, I'll add the orange ships into the ship draw pool and add the extra white die to the pool for placement.

I flip over the next event card and it is Rising Action! (that was sudden!). The random red discarded ships are the "Devastation" (9,11), "Zealous" (9,11) and "Sinop" (9,11) (hey, all easy ones!). I randomly choose the "Monarch" (9,11) for my mandatory stalk attack, and I place the "Omaha" (9,11), "Audacious" (10,13), and "Invincible" (10,13) into the ship draw bag.

Since the Monarch is an Ironside, we fire first. I'll risk a crew for this stalk attack and the result is 5(+4) (1,4 rolled). I can fix this with Aronnax, but that's 11 VP, but crew means 4 VP plus whatever I lose when it returns the attack... so... I'll sacrifice Aronnax, and mighty Monarch goes down. Notoriety increases by 2 to 6 (one for Aronnax, one for the ship).

Placement - W:4,6,6 B:1 Call me crazy, but I'm actually going to use the two white sixes and make this a lull turn. The "Hercules" (8,11) is drawn and placed in the North Atlantic. 2 hidden ship tokens are placed in the Western Pacific. There is no place for a treasure available token on or near the Indian Ocean, so none is placed. But one is put on the top of the Adventure deck. Uprising cubes are checked. WP - roll 2 (fine), NA - roll 5 (fine), SA - roll 6 (fine), IO - no roll needed (fine).

Our current status:

Actions:
Free) Expend my retain token for an action.
1) Go on an adventure. It is "Ned Land's Tempers" (test 10). This is nice to have that extra mitigation. I'll need a 5 or more if I risk Nemo and Crew. Worth it. I risk both resources and roll an 11(+5) and get to keep this great card. I grab a treasure token for my adventure and it is a 3 VP token.
Free) I will use the keep card "All by Electricity" to roll for extra actions. A 2 is rolled (out of 3) and the card is placed in the pass pile, and our actions go from zero to 2.
2) Another adventure! The card is the "Grecian Archipelago". It would be worth 4 VP if passed, but I think it is too risky, and it goes to the bottom of the adventure deck.
3) Adventure again. This time "Whales" (test 9). With my extra mitigation, I don't mind trying this by risking a crew and hull. The roll is 4(+5) and I let out a slow whistle, because that was close. The choice is grab a crew, or 2 treasures. I will grab the 2 treasures. First is a 2 VP token. The second is a wonder, the "Lost Mayan City"
Free) Sacrifice our Second Officer for an action. Bringing action points back up to 1.
4) Another adventure. "The Iceberg" (test 9). Wow, I really want to pass this one - worth science and action points. I'll eagerly risk the Nemo and Hull. The roll of 4(+4) isn't enough. So I'll sacrifice Ned Land to make it pass. Notoriety goes up to 7, and action points increase to 2.
5) Adventure. "The Gulf Stream" (keep). Great card to have in my back pocket.
6) Adventure. "The Lost Continent" (test 11). I'll risk a Nemo and a crew for this. 7(+5) wins the day. It goes in the pass pile, and I grab 2 treasure tokens. I get a retain token for an action, and a retain token for a reroll.
Free) Expend the retain token for an action (now goes up to 1)
7) Adventure. "The Coral Realm". The downside of losing 2 crew way outstrips the possibility of getting 1 extra crew (to my max), so I'm putting this at the bottom of the deck.
Free) The Chief Engineer is sacrificed for 2 actions
8) Adventure! "Some Days Ashore" (keep). Nice in case more crew is lost.
9) Adventure again. "A Capital Encounter". This will indeed go to the bottom.
Free) To sacrifice the First Officer for 3 adventures? Now that I have Ned Land for "Captain Nemo's Diaries" as well as a couple of rerolls.. Sure! Action points go back up to 3, but Nemo decreases by 1.
10) You guessed it! Adventure! "A sacrifice to the Gods". I'll actually use it. Sacrifice a crew to gain a Nemo and a notoriety (now up to 8).
11) Adventure! "Jaws Wide Open!" (test 8). It would hurt too much I lost on this roll, and for only 3 VP, so this goes to the bottom.
12) Adventure! "Torres Straights" (keep) - this will have to be used next turn.
Free) I will use the keep card "Some Days at Shore" to increase crew to max, and notoriety up by 2 to 10.

And that is QUITE the turn. I think "Lull Turn" here is a misnomer!

Current score is 198. Was the extra 11 VP from the beginning of the turn worth all those adventures? I was hoping for more, but a few good keep cards aren't counted yet (Toreres Straits and Gulf Stream), so we'll see. Nice to see my score is above "Defeat" and is now sitting comfortably in the "Failure" zone!

This deserves a final shot of the board and I'm calling it for the night. As usual, any comments are welcome!

(FYI, Ned isn't flipped over in the picture, but I've just done that on the board after double checking my moves)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Erni
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool "signature" turn of the Science Motive. I usually "lead" with killing the First Officer (in case I find "Aronnax's Determination"...and kill her again), but having Aronnax himself available for "resurrection" is plenty compensation.

Despite likely never doing any Bold attacks, I like your addition of "Crew Armor" -- not just for the VPs, but...you never know, sometimes Notoriety isn't THE issue, but Imperialist Victory is (also, sometimes "Monstrous Design" gets "expended" in the endgame avoiding a painful hit anyway).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameBreaker wrote:
(also, sometimes "Monstrous Design" gets "expended" in the endgame avoiding a painful hit anyway).

Thanks Wes! That reminder is something I would likely have forgotten if I ended up getting hit hard with something, as I've never discarded an upgrade for a hit before, and you're right - endgame is the time to do it when you've "expended most of its usefulness". At that point, discarding an upgrade is simply a matter of point differentials (or, gulp!) Survival!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain's Log, Week 18

Event Phase: "As Master Wishes" (keep). Well, Conseil is still around! I should probably use this sooner rather than later!

Placement - W:3,3,4 B:6 Oh my... what an awful roll. Looks like the following roll had better be good or we might start getting into some trouble. The Whaler "Gange" (-,8) is placed in the North Atlantic. The freighter "Clyde" (-,7) is drawn and placed in the North Atlantic as well. The "America" (-,10) is placed in the South Atlantic. Finally the "Sea Serpent" is drawn and placed in the Western Pacific. Action points increase from 0 to 1.

Our current status:

Actions:
1) We've got a problem here. The South Atlantic is 3 rolls of 4 away from becoming overrun and starting to flip easy ships to warships... which we don't want with our current motive. So, I'm going to use the Hydro drive to move to the Cape of Good Hope via the Indian Ocean. Since I moved from WP to the Indian Ocean, the Torres Straits keep card is triggered, and I'll attempt the test (7), risking a hull. The result is 10(+2) and I put it in the pass pile and gain 2 actions.
2) I'll stalk attack the "Lord Clyde" (7,10). It's an Ironside, so I attack first, and I'll risk a crew. The roll is 9(+4) and the Clyde is sunk. I will add it to tonnage for the Indian Ocean.
3) Incite in the Cape of Good Hope. We'll risk a crew and 8(+6!) means we place an uprising cube and notoriety decreases to 8.

Captain's Log, Week 19

Event Phase: "Aronnax's Determination". I'll risk the Nemo and a Crew on this one. I roll 6(+5) and my hands are shaking as I barely pass. And although I'd love to flip the First Officer, it is Professor Aronnax's himself that I flip over (mostly because he's worth 11 victory points!)

Placement - W:1,5,5 B:4 The "Ellen Southard" (-,10) is drawn and placed in the Western Pacific. A hidden ship is placed in the Cape of Good Hope. The Ironclad "Belliqueuse" (7,10) is palced in the European Sea. The ghost ship "Mary Celeste" is placed in the North Atlantic.

Our current status:

Actions:
1) I'll move to the South Atlantic.
Free) I'll use the steam torpedoes against the "America". It sinks after I roll 11, and I add it to South Atlantic tonnage while notoriety increases to 10.
2-4) I will use the "As Master Wishes" keep card to use 3 actions for 3 treasures. I grab a 4 VP token, a Wonder in the form of "Cleopatra's Palace", and a retain token for 1 action.

Captain's Log, Week 20

Event Phase: "A Runaway Reef" (test 7). I'll risk a Nemo for this. 6(+2) does it and notoriety decreases to 8 again.

Placement - W:1,4,5 B:2 The Battleship "Audacious" (10,13) is drawn and... it will be palced in the Pacific Coast. The "Chance" (-,10) is placed in the Eastern Pacific. A hidden ship goes in the South Atlantic, and the "Zealand" (-,9) is put in the European Seas. Action points increase from 0 to 4.

Our current status:

Actions:
Free) I will use the "Gulf Stream" keep card, putting it in the pass pile and moving to the North Atlantic.
Free) Free torpedo attack against the "Mary Celeste". A roll of 6 sinks her and she is added to North Atlantic Tonnage.
1) The "Gange" (-,8) is stalked and the crew is risked. 8(+4,-1) wins and a treasure token is drawn for the whaler. It is a 3 VP token. The "Gange" is added to salvage.
2-3) Looks like we have time for an adventure. We get "Vanikoro" (keep) and all we need to do is go to a Pacific Ocean.
4) Stalk attack versus the Clyde, risking crew. 2(auto-fail). I will take my lumps - crew goes down by 2, and notoriety increases to 10.

Captain's Log, Week 21

Event Phase: "An Underwater Coalfield" (keep) this will be great if I don't use it!

Placement - W:1,4,6 B:4 The "Fujiyama" (6,9) is placed in the Indian Ocean. Two hidden ships overflow into the North Atlantic. The "Numancia" (7,10) is placed in the Cape of Good Hope. Action points increase to 5!

Our current status:

The game could end in as little as 3 turns. Do I want a small tonnage bonus? Should I go for more adventures? Lots to figure out. I think I'm managing the imperialist forces quite well, so it's a matter of maximizing points.

Actions:
Free) Sink the "Clyde" (-,7) with Torpedoes. We roll a 6, and it is done. I put the Clyde in salvage.
1) Move to Cape Horn
2) Move to the Eastern Pacific
3-4) Rest action. Risk a Nemo, and spend a 4 VP token. Roll a 2 (autofail) and this is worth a reroll (its a 12 VP swing) so I use the retain token and roll a 10 (+6) and gain 2 crew back to max.
5) I will stalk attack the "Star of India" (-,10) and risk a crew. 7(+4) sinks her, and I will add it to tonnage for the Eastern Pacific. Notoriety goes up to 12

Captain's Log, Week 22

Event Phase: "Shakedown Maneuvers" (test 10). Worth it! Science points and actions, what can we say? So, risk the crew and hull. Roll 8(+5) and we put it in the pass pile and receive 2 action points and can go 2 points above maximum this turn.

Placement - W:2,5,6 B:1 The "Invincible" (10,13) is drawn, and it can go all alone to the Arctic Ocean! A hidden ship is added to the Eastern Pacific. A hidden ship is added to the North Atlantic. The "Ariel" (-,9) is drawn and added to the Western Pacific. Action points increase to 6

Our current status:

Actions:
1) Play the "Vanikoro" keep card, placing it in the pass pile and gaining 2 treasure tokens. These end up being a 1 VP token, and a retain token for a Nemo.
Free) Attack the "Chance" (-,10) with torpedoes. The roll is 12 for an astounding success! I'll put the chance in salvage.
2-3) Refit, risking only crew. The result of 3(+3) is just short. We lose a crew and discard a salvage.
4) Move to the Western Pacific
5) Stalk attack versus the Ariel risking a crew. 7(+4,-1) does it and we'll add the Ariel to salvage
6) Search. We'll risk a crew. 6(+4,-2) and we gain our treasure token (a retain to gain a Nemo), but notoriety goes up to 13.

And with only 6 cards left in the event deck, we'll call it a night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Erni
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrsuitcase wrote:

[b]Actions
:
1) We've got a problem here. The South Atlantic is 3 rolls of 4 away from becoming overrun and starting to flip easy ships to warships... which we don't want with our current motive.

The situation "brewing" in the South Atlantic was not all that threatening -- you were seven+ "4's" away from creating a "fatal Hunter" in the SA (the adjacent Major Oceans had plenty of "flexible deployments"). As I usually "kill" as little as safely possible playing Science, I usually enjoy marus "flipping grey". That said, you are a VERY well-equipped Science Nautilus, and "filling" the first column is always a worthwhile goal. Really, all you have to do now is "pop" a ship in Europe and take out a warship in the Atlantic and never have to worry about the Imperials again (of course, with Torpedoes, you will continue attacks).

If I have one problem with Nemo's War, its the disincentive to move. The way the Tonnage track works, and the way Treasure is "spread out" are welcome incentives to move some -- but that fact you are effectively throwing a "3" gem away every time you move (mean value of an AP), seriously inhibits "exciting" to and fro "reactions". The expansion will be addressing this fact through several dimensions (Motives, Upgrades, and optional rules that all reward active movement), but right now it can be quite a "do I want to have fun, or do I want to easily Triumph" conundrum with Science. Every time I played a dynamic "Hydro-Driven" Science game I have ended up on the wrong side of 300.

Quote:
Captain's Log, Week 20

Actions:
Free) I will use the "Gulf Stream" keep card, putting it in the pass pile and moving to the North Atlantic.
Free) Free torpedo attack against the "Mary Celeste". A roll of 6 sinks her and she is added to North Atlantic Tonnage.
1) The "Gange" (-,8) is stalked and the crew is risked. 8(+4,-1) wins and a treasure token is drawn for the whaler. It is a 3 VP token. The "Gange" is added to salvage.
2-3) Looks like we have time for an adventure. We get "Vanikoro" (keep) and all we need to do is go to a Pacific Ocean.
4) Stalk attack versus the Clyde, risking crew. 2(auto-fail). I will take my lumps - crew goes down by 2, and notoriety increases to 10.

I apologize if you well understand this next point -- but the fact you chose to move to (and ignore) a "warship Ocean" and THEN do an Adventure, kind of looks like you are unaware the presence of a Warship inflicts a -1 DRM on EVERYTHING (save torpedoes)... which includes any Tests associated with an Event card (and staying in the SA before drawing an Adventure would have been more "flexible"..."South Pole" etc.). I realize you may have just done that Adventure on the "spur of the moment", but the fact you ended the turn with the Hercules exposing another possible "-1 moment" during the next Event phase, made me wonder.

Quote:
2-3) Refit, risking only crew. The result of 3(+3) is just short. We lose a crew and discard a salvage.

I realize this is "resulting" (and you were very unlucky here), but I have a general rule that add sufficient Treasure (at least) supporting any R actions such that only a "snake-eyes" fails (assuming the presence of a "1" gem as here).

Given you will not come anywhere near a Defeat condition, I wish you a "long" game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameBreaker wrote:

The situation "brewing" in the South Atlantic was not all that threatening -- you were seven+ "4's" away from creating a "fatal Hunter" in the SA

That's probably true. I may be overcautious about things as I don't have a really good feel for when the tipping point is reached. I mean, I can calculate out how many dice rolls are needed, but the real danger that I worry about is if many (most) of the dice during placement rollthe same, meaning that something becomes critical, AND you get few or no actions that turn.

Here though, you're right, it turned out to be not a big deal at all. And my inexperience is just getting my heart rate up for no reason.

Quote:

I apologize if you well understand this next point -- but the fact you chose to move to (and ignore) a "warship Ocean" and THEN do an Adventure, kind of looks like you are unaware the presence of a Warship inflicts a -1 DRM on EVERYTHING (save torpedoes)... which includes any Tests associated with an Event card

For this one, I was actually thinking of taking down the Sea Serpent as well for its 11 points. However, once I got there, I got cold feet, as there are lots of dice combinations under 10 that will mean a lot of hits (4,5 being my biggest fear!). And then I started to think those hits might lose me more points than the Sea Serpent is worth. Plus, I'd need a 7, risking a crew - and the crew is worth points too. Once I'd bailed out on doing the Sea Serpent, I needed to figure out what to do with the AP's.

Quote:
I realize this is "resulting" (and you were very unlucky here), but I have a general rule that add sufficient Treasure (at least) supporting any R actions such that only a "snake-eyes" fails (assuming the presence of a "1" gem as here).

That's a pretty reasonable suggestion, and this is the only(?) time I didn't spend a gem. Honestly, I felt the odds were good enough (a gem only denied a extra 1/18 chance of a negative) and I didn't really need to shoot for a 12 here, as I wasn't going to need excess salvage. Serves me right though.

Can't complain too much, overall, I feel my rolling has been excessively lucky. We'll see how it goes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Erni
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should have pointed out the ONLY reason you didn't need to fear that "board layout" Week 18, was that you had already "seen" (and bottomed) "Public Opinion". If that hadn't occurred, all your policing efforts would have been a recommended "safety play".

Concerning the Sea Serpent, that is a such a "high risk, high gain" proposition. As long as you possess "Troubled Dreams", nothing terrible can ever happen to you, but that is an incredibly valuable card to expend for "optional" reasons.

You make a good point that adding a 1 gem to that Refit really only significantly improved your chances by 5.6% (not planning to do other Refits). Really the math is very close (certain loss of 1 VP vs. 1/18 chance of saving "15-ish", and a 2/18 chance of saving 1) -- but I have always followed the mantra "Success at the moment trumps 'bean-counting' later"...when its close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Time to get on with the Show! This last session will probably conclude the journey given there are 6 cards left in the event deck.

Captain's Log, Week 23

Event Phase: "The Red Sea" (play). This is a no-brainer. I've got the salvage I need already for the last upgrade, so I might as well put this in the Play pile for the wonder points.

Placement - W:3,4,4 B:6 Tough roll here. I draw the capital ship "Konig Wilhelm" (8,11) and place it in the South Atlantic. The Passenger ship "Alfred" (-,9) is placed in the North Atlantic. The whaling ship "Pequod" (-,9) is also placed in the North Atlantic. A hidden ship is placed in the Western Pacific. Action points increase to 1.

Our current status:

Actions:
1) Things are looking more urgent in the South Atlantic, and I can ease the pressure by torpedoing a ship or two in the North Atlantic (which, coincidentally, is on the way to the European Seas). So I will move to the North Atlantic.
Free) I will take a free Steam Torpedo shot at... the "Hercules" (8,11). I was going to leave her well alone, but I do have the "Full Steam" keep card, increasing her value from 4 to essentially 7. Let's see how it goes. The Hercules fires first and gets a 9! So, no hits on the Nautilus. Now we fire with the torpedoes and a 6 is rolled! Just barely doing the job. The Hercules is sent to Salvage, and we place "At Full Steam" in the pass pile.

Captain's Log, Week 24

Event Phase: Finale (Seriously?! First possible again) This Finale is Modus Vivendi (test 11). I will risk a Crew and Hull to try to pass. A roll of 10(+5) does so easily and this is placed in the Pass pile. This triggers the keep card "Captain Nemo's Diaries" (test 8). I will use the "Ned Land's Tempers" card for a pre-emptive +3 to the dice roll. I roll 4(+3). I will use Conseil for a reroll, and get an 8(+3), passing the card.

Our end game state looks like this:

Let's count up our points!
Warships Sunk = 10 (+0 modifiers for 3 ships)
Non-Warships Sunk = 6 (10, -4 in modifiers for 5 ships)
Adventure Cards ("A Pearl with Ten Million" and "An Underwater Coalfield" are placed in the Pass pile) = 47 (27 + 20 modifiers for 20 cards)
Treasure Tokens = 49 (+0 modifiers for 18 tokens)
Liberation = 21 (7 cubes x3)
Science = 96 (16 science x 6)
Wonders = 44 (11 wonders x 4)
Surviving Characters Bonus = 13
Scouring the Seas = 0
Ship Penalties = 0

GRAND TOTAL = 286

WHOA! TRIUMPH!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, time for a little commentary and analysis.

I really felt I was getting the hang of this, and everything seemed to be going my way. I felt I had a good plan, and executed quite well.

I still wanted to sink that one ship in the European Seas that would at least have gotten me a Scouring the Seas bonus of 8. I also wanted that last upgrade card (for the science), and finally, I wanted to rest one more time to get my crew back to max. Alas, there wasn't time for those things.

I THOUGHT the rolls were VERY kind to me. So I went back over the posts and recorded all of the test rolls I saw. I was surprised by the result! Out of 63 test rolls, the AVERAGE was 6.936508 ! So, I was below the expected average of 7.

So, perhaps my rolls weren't as lucky as I thought quantitatively, but maybe the luck I perceived was just the right number rolled at the right time.

Also, I went on that huge burst of adventures. In the end, there were only 8 adventures in the adventure deck that I hadn't seen, plus the 4 adventures in the event deck because the game was a shorter one.

Another interesting experiment would be to see how I would have scored had it been the exploration mandate, rather than science, as I HAD considered swapping when the Act III card arrived.

Warships Sunk = 7 (10, -3 modifiers for 3 ships)
Non-Warships Sunk = 10 (10, 0 in modifiers for 5 ships)
Adventure Cards = 27 (0 in modifiers for 20 cards)
Treasure Tokens = 67 (49 +18 modifiers for 18 tokens)
Liberation = 21 (7 cubes x3)
Science = 64 (16 science x 4)
Wonders = 77 (11 wonders x 7)
Surviving Characters Bonus = 13
Scouring the Seas = 0
Ship Penalties = 0

And the total for Explore is very surprising -> 286!
The EXACT same total as my mandate.

I certainly grabbed treasure tokens where it was convenient, and many of them were benefits from adventure cards. But I wasn't actually seeking them out. I think the key to why the scores are so related is the relentless search for science in the adventure cards. The benefits from the cards are random enough that they tend to add to all scoring opportunities. Sometimes you're just going to get some wonders, instead of science. Sometimes you're allowed to draw a handful of treasure tokens.

So this leads me to believe that if you have a Science motive and play successfully by going on lots of adventures, you'll probably always score very well under an Explorer motive as well.

However, I'm unsure if the opposite will be true. If you play as an Explorer, you may not be going on all those adventures, trying to grab your points mainly through searches of the tokens. It will be interesting to see if this is true or not in a future game.

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed the session as much as I did playing it!

Let me know if you have any suggestions or comments, and maybe let me know what you'd like to see next!

… what mandate would you like to see played?
… should I introduce Deadly Seas or the Upgrade Expansion to my next session?
... Any other optional rules I should try?
... should I up the difficulty level? With a single win (and a Triumph at that!) out of 8 games played, am I ready to graduate to Officer difficulty?

Tell me what you'd like! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Erni
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad the end came so quick -- you would have "bowled" a 300 game otherwise. With your Notoriety cushion, I would suggest taking a couple "potshots" at "Modus Vivendi" without Exerting anything -- odds are you will still have to eventually Exert, but its effectively a "free" opportunity.

My view is that you are MORE than ready ready for Officer level. Nothing less befits your analytical thinking and enthusiasm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Erni
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as what to do next -- MY favorite Motive is Anti-Imperialism (some of the reasons shared here):

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/29038266#29038266

but that is definitely IMO territory (and weirdly I only "start" with the AI Motive if playing the Captain level). I would probably continue with no optional rules, variants for a while...but at the Officer level. Most of my "fun" (non-playtest) games are played just the way (other than always "taking the blows" at Captains level -- because that was THE way to always play "failure" for many years, changed only just before the game's release).

Of course far more important is what YOU find to be fun -- Nemo is that mystical "sandbox" game that somehow incorporates solid structure, surprising depth, tactile appeal, real variety, AND fun gameplay. The ultimate, "if I could take one game to that desert island" game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.