Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Fellow Geeks,
I'm looking at this game having not previously played it and it looks like a great game! One question I have which I can't find the answer to despite my efforts is this:

What are the different types of shows? Specifically are they all re-enactments or is there some fighting to the death? and also is there any kind of feeding christians to lions or anything like that?

Many Thanks,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
or zombies or ...
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't actually see the show, they are just titles. And no mentions of Christians at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Knoerzer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The shows have names and list of participants (what set of tokens you are trying to collect), everything else is left to the imagination. The game abstracts the shows enough that I wouldn't say they is a specific type or types of shows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that you only have to retire one token after putting on a show, and it could be a potted plant, I consider them to all be dramatizations, and not actual fights to the death or anything.

I think the original version had one show that referenced Christians and Lions (albeit in Latin), but, given the above, I feel comfortable saying that no one gets actually fed to the lions, and maybe the Christians even win this one. (The show names may have been changed in the new edition, too.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some examples of what the shows look like:

And if you wish to see a couple other examples in video format, check out Sam Healey's comparison video at the 9:06 mark:

As a christian I see nothing to take offense at here, the shows are very abstract, as you only collect the assets needed to put on the show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Griffiths
United Kingdom
Aylesbury
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When we play I force everybody to read out the show's name in a dramatic voice and tell us all what goes on in it.

So I guess if you want to feed Christians to the Lions, you can at my table

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.