Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmbmbmbmb
For our Easter visit to Tine's parents we had brought TransAmerica. Tine's parents, while not gamers per se, have taken to Carcassonne and its expansions like fish to water (must have played the thing hundreds of times by now), and we knew they liked TransAmerica too. With them, games should be simple and fast, and at least Tine's dad disdains any attempt to play competitively, preferring to "play his own game"!

During our stay we played four games. Tine won the first, Tine's mom won the second, and I managed to win the last two games.

I am still somewhat ambivalent towards this game: On one hand it's quick and fun and the ideal game for family situations such as this one (Royal Turf is another hit in that context). On the other hand, despite the fact that I sit down to each game trying to really analyze it, and doing my best to optimize my every move - probably taking the whole experience much more serious than my opposition - the result of each round still feels completely random. Had a game of TransAmerica taken, say, three or four times as long as it does, I would probably hate it. As it is, it's a quick and fun. But we still left our copy as a present for Tine's parents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.