Popular Tags: [View All]
Caleb Martin
Canada
Charlie Lake
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You know, when I first got this with 23 other board games on the PSP I thought, WOW this should have more strategy because it's like playing 3 games of tic tac toe at the same time plus interaction with other boards. When after about the 5th game I found out that if you know what to do you win everytime if you go first!

This is like regular tic tac toe with 3 boards. Except if you get the same square on every board you can also win and you can get 3 in a row in these shown way.

x - -
- - -
- - -

- - -
- x -
- - -

- - -
- - -
- - x

you can do this all 3 ways horizontal, vertical, and diagonal.
So if you do the center square in the center board and then center in another board. It's an easy win! If they block take the corner of one of the boards you have the center of and work from there.

Now if on there first move they take an end board center square. Just take a corner on the center board! You can win from there.

So remember... just go first and win!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Except that you need 4 in a row. And I'm hoping this is the joke, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Martin
Canada
Charlie Lake
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
chockle wrote:
Except that you need 4 in a row. And I'm hoping this is the joke, right?

No, I'm talking about the 3x3x3 version

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no 3x3 version in the database. Perhaps you've hit upon a variant that ought to be included, eh?

Gg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Martin
Canada
Charlie Lake
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
though it's not on this database I learned about it from playing a psp game 'ultimate board game collection' and they had 3x3x3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, it actually does not apply to Qubic at all and probably explains why Qubic is 4x4x4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Martin
Canada
Charlie Lake
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Ward wrote:
So, it actually does not apply to Qubic at all and probably explains why Qubic is 4x4x4.

Ya so just don't play 3x3x3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zeruf wrote:
Ward wrote:

Ya so just don't play 3x3x3.

Okay. I won't play Qubic by the wrong rules for no reason. Thanks for the tip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Deniz Bucak
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
As Above, So Below
badge
My books are forgeries. Nobody wrote them. - Philip K. Dick
mbmbmbmbmb
My grandmother had a 3x3 game like this. It stank. I don't know what it was called, but the OP is correct about going first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Search on "tic" and you will find a number of versions of 3D Tic-tac-toe; is there some reason that you can't move this article to one of them and leave poor Qubic alone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first player does have a winning advantage in 4x4x4, although it's not as obvious. One pattern to be alert for is when one player has 3 tokens in any planar 4x4 cross section of the grid, and the opponent has none, this is usually a winning threat, and the opponent must play somewhere in that cross section to block. Also the 8 corner cells plus the 8 central cells are generally more valuable than the other cells, since each of these cells has 7 rows passing through it, while the other cells have just 4 rows passing through them.

A possible workaround for this imbalance is to forbid the first token from placing in any corner or central cell. The first player still has a winning advantage, but the advantage is significantly reduced.

http://members.cox.net/javacoco/ features a Java computer opponent, which might be the best way to understand all this. Click on Setup on the bottom left, click on the BIN tab, scroll down a bit and click on Fourcube. Press 6 for the strongest opponent, which is not perfect but nearly so. The left and right arrows will rotate the board around a vertical axis. Up and down will scroll the cursor through vacant cells, like reading the pages of a book. If you scroll off the bottom, the cursor will reappear on the top. Press Enter to make your move at the cursor. If you want the cursor to disappear, rotate the board. If you want to use the above mentioned workaround, make your first move in any non-corner, non-central cell. Or, at the game start, press F for "Faircube" and the computer will make such an initial move. Press H for a help screen. D is for Demo mode.

If anyone manages to beat this engine at level 6 under "faircube" rules, either moving first or moving second, I would be interested to hear about it! Tactically, at level 6, the engine can routinely find winning sequences of 12 moves or more (24 ply), although it may not be the fastest win. Its opening understanding is crude, but on this small grid that doesn't seem to matter much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin O'Gorman
United States
California
flag msg tools
Back around 1980 there was an article in Mathematics Magazine where Oren Patashnik (sp?) described how he proved that Qubic is a win for the first player. It took him around 1500 hours of computer time, if I recall, so I'd agree it's not obvious.

Some time later, I got a copy of the dataset he preserved from that effort, and changed a game program I found on SourceForge so that it could read that dataset and do the win.

Get the program at https://sourceforge.net/projects/qubic/ if you are interested. If you set it to the highest level, it will tell you how to get the data (it's on Google). The program was written for Linux.

I don't know if there's a proof of a first-player win when you're starting with other than those 7-row cells. I suspect it's true, but can't be sure (yet).

I'm currently working on improving that dataset (making it win quicker) as a hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Martin
Canada
Charlie Lake
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
wow, talk about gravedigging

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.