Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: First games, so many questions... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Stone
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, we played a couple of simple skirmish games to get into the rules. Then we opted to create sides with a max value of 100 each.
This game was not an enjoyable experience with my rebel heroes dying way too quickly. I put it down partly to my inexperience, but mostly my. it would seem, over confidence in my team. Equiped with two X-Wings M. Falcon with Luke and r2 in one X-Wing and a smuggler with Chewie in the MF with a host of upgrades I figured I would do okay.
I was up against six Tie F. including Tie Adv piloted by Darth himself.
I guess it was strength in numbers because Luke got taken out in the second round.

So, onto questions...

If you have a target lock in place from the previous round can you now add another action, a focus or a evade?

I don't understand the rules to do with collisions. If you hit a rock you can get damaged, but hit another ship you don't.
If it looks like you are going to get attacked you can make a deliberate collision manoeuvre which prevents the two ships from attacking. A cowardly strategy?

If after I have made my move my opponent attempts an illegal move, what happens, do they adjust their dial or do they have to pass? Whilst stressed they attempted to do another stress manoeuvre.

Since this game is 50% strategy and 50% luck aren't the evade tokens a bit too powerful? they guarantee an evade to you defence roll.

Upgrade cards with no symbol, can they be used by any ship?

Is it a must to keep upgrade cards with the ships they came with or can they be used on any ship as long as they have the correct symbol?

My feelings are that we haven't fully understood the complexities of the game and bit off more than we could chew by introducing so many ships onto the board in one game. M. Falcon, great defence but naff offence. Luke, great pilot, apparently, but didn't last long enough against three Ties. Not how I imagined a Star Wars battle sequence to turn out, it sure wan't like the movies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart De Vuyst
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
Devil Pig Games Volunteer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie_Spawn wrote:
If you have a target lock in place from the previous round can you now add another action, a focus or a evade?

A Target Lock only goes away when you use. Keep it, choose another action in the next round and improve your hitting chances with a Focus for instance.

Zombie_Spawn wrote:
Since this game is 50% strategy and 50% luck aren't the evade tokens a bit too powerful? they guarantee an evade to you defence roll.

Evades got changed in 2.0. You might look into that.

Zombie_Spawn wrote:
Is it a must to keep upgrade cards with the ships they came with or can they be used on any ship as long as they have the correct symbol?

As long as you respect the icon limitations, the 'limited' ability (the dot next to the name) and faction restrictions you can use the upgrades cross-ships. It's the point of the game. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie_Spawn wrote:
So, we played a couple of simple skirmish games to get into the rules. Then we opted to create sides with a max value of 100 each.
This game was not an enjoyable experience with my rebel heroes dying way too quickly. I put it down partly to my inexperience, but mostly my. it would seem, over confidence in my team. Equiped with two X-Wings M. Falcon with Luke and r2 in one X-Wing and a smuggler with Chewie in the MF with a host of upgrades I figured I would do okay.
I guess it was strength in numbers because Luke got taken out in the second round.

If you fly headfirst into a "joust" with 6 TIEs, the rebels will lose. Don't forget the Falcon has a turret as its primary weapon and so doesn't need to fly up close and personal into the battle - you probably want to skirt around the edge, avoiding the fighters and shooting in.

Zombie_Spawn wrote:

You get to perform an action each round - target locks simply persist until used, so there's no reason you can't do another action

Zombie_Spawn wrote:
I don't understand the rules to do with collisions. If you hit a rock you can get damaged, but hit another ship you don't.
If it looks like you are going to get attacked you can make a deliberate collision manoeuvre which prevents the two ships from attacking. A cowardly strategy?

A very legitimate strategy - but more commonly you will use low pilot skill ships to move first into the path of enemy ships, causing them to make the collision because when you "bump" (as its referred to commonly) you lose your action. It's better to make them bump you than for you to bump them.

Zombie_Spawn wrote:
If after I have made my move my opponent attempts an illegal move, what happens, do they adjust their dial or do they have to pass? Whilst stressed they attempted to do another stress manoeuvre.

Tournament rules are that if your opponent reveals an illegal move (such as a red manouevre while stressed), then you get to rotate their dial to any manouevre of your choice.

Zombie_Spawn wrote:

I'd disagree that this is 50% luck. It sure can feel like the dice are against you, but their is a lot of tactical play involved, and better pilots will win a lot more. Also, better lists often mitigate luck heavily (for example Han piloting the Falcon with a Gunner can roll his attack dice 4 times if necessary). Evades are quite strong though, and this has been changed in 2.0.

Zombie_Spawn wrote:

Each ship can have precisely one modification and one title. Most titles are unique to a specific ship. Some modifications are unique to a ship. So ships can have their listed upgrades + title + modification.

Zombie_Spawn wrote:

Not at all - pool your upgrades, any ship that has the slot can use any upgrade for that slot (unless the upgrade specifically says "*some ship* only".

Zombie_Spawn wrote:
My feelings are that we haven't fully understood the complexities of the game and bit off more than we could chew by introducing so many ships onto the board in one game. M. Falcon, great defence but naff offence. Luke, great pilot, apparently, but didn't last long enough against three Ties. Not how I imagined a Star Wars battle sequence to turn out, it sure wan't like the movies!

Try not to generalise a pilot to a whole ship! Chewie sure is more defensive than offensive but to be honest, his offence is great too - 3 attack primary turret is strong. But more than that, Han in the Falcon is wayyyy more offensive than defensive. In fact, with only 1 evade die, the Falcon isn't really that defensive.

Keep at it, and try playing simpler games. The Falcon, and in general all large base ships, are harder to fly than smaller ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jjdelanoche wrote:

Zombie_Spawn wrote:

Tournament rules are that if your opponent reveals an illegal move (such as a red manouevre while stressed), then you get to rotate their dial to any manouevre of your choice.

This was actually changed a few years ago. If you choose an illegal maneuver, you perform a white 2 forward rather than your opponent choosing your maneuver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Alexander
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie_Spawn wrote:
Equiped with two X-Wings M. Falcon with Luke and r2 in one X-Wing and a smuggler with Chewie in the MF with a host of upgrades I figured I would do okay.

In general, and especially at first, lots of plain ships is better than a few really fancy ones. Having a large number of ships gives you longevity and more ability to burn through single-use defensive tokens. You're also less likely to forget an ability or upgrade since your list is simpler.

Quote:

Having a token already does not stop you from gaining another, not even another of the same kind (although remember you can't take the same action twice in a turn). Target locks are a partial exception since you can only have one, but even then, it's legal to take the TL action when you already have a lock -- you just lose the old one.

Quote:

Ships don't really run into each other (except for one or two specific pilots...). Ramming just isn't a practical part of fighter combat. Think of it as the second ship swerving sharply up or down at the last moment. The only reason you don't overlap the ships in the game is that it's physically too tricky.

Rushing a better ship to put it off its footing and deny it enough time to line up a shot at you isn't cowardly, it's smart. It's also one advantage low-PS pilots have over high-PS ones. (And they need it -- shooting second is a big disadvantage.)

Also note: the two touching ships cannot shoot each other, but they can still shoot distant targets.

Quote:

If you reveal a red maneuver while you are stressed, you ignore your dial and do an unmodifiable white 2-straight instead.

In any other situation, if you reveal a move you aren't allowed to do, your opponent gets to change your dial to any legal move of his choice. Expect this to be very bad for you.

Quote:

They are strong but they are purely defensive. Also, on a 3 Agility ship, they're equivalent to or worse than a Focus, on average. Plus they only work once -- see my first point about bringing more ships!

Quote:

Each ship can have one Title and one Modification. Neither of those upgrade types has a symbol on ship cards.

Quote:

You can mix and match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmb
Bumping is a major part of the game — to deny an attack, to deny an action, to position your own ships — so not cowardly at all! Anticipating your opponent’s move and moving your own ship to cause a bump is a key skill. Deny Vader actions with a bump and he’s going to have a bad day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stone
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I get the bumping strategy, but should it really prevent one ship from attacking another?
I played with the M. Falcon with a Outer Rim Smuggler pilot, couldn't afford Han, and I see now the circular arrow on the weapons icon which I realise now refers to the turret guns. So, if it has turret guns why does the base have a firing arc like the other ships? whats the point of it? this is what threw me leading to my demise.

David- upgrade cards have a symbol in the bottom left corner to indicate type, but I noticed some cards don't have a symbol.

Jeff- so only one title and modification card, but with regards to the other types of upgrades I can have what ever the symbols are shown in the bottom black bar? So, for the YT-1300 O.R. Smuggler, he has two crew symbols so I can buy two crew upgrades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie_Spawn wrote:
Okay, I get the bumping strategy, but should it really prevent one ship from attacking another?
I played with the M. Falcon with a Outer Rim Smuggler pilot, couldn't afford Han, and I see now the circular arrow on the weapons icon which I realise now refers to the turret guns. So, if it has turret guns why does the base have a firing arc like the other ships? whats the point of it? this is what threw me leading to my demise.

Some ships have a PWT or Primary Weapon Turret. The Falcon is one of those ships. However, you still have a front-facing arc because secondary weapons (torpedoes, missiles, and so on) can only shoot out of your primary arc. Other game effects require your opponent to be in your primary arc...or not. Have a look at Autothrusters as an example.

Quote:
David- upgrade cards have a symbol in the bottom left corner to indicate type, but I noticed some cards don't have a symbol.

If you look on the back of the card, you'll probably see a set of crossed wrench icons. Those are modification cards. Other icons include an x-wing floating over a circle; those are title cards.

Quote:
Jeff- so only one title and modification card, but with regards to the other types of upgrades I can have what ever the symbols are shown in the bottom black bar? So, for the YT-1300 O.R. Smuggler, he has two crew symbols so I can buy two crew upgrades.

Yes, the icons on the bottom of your ship card are your "shopping list" of available upgrades for that pilot / ship combination. I say "pilot/ship" because some pilots will have a medal icon because they are allowed to take an EPT or Elite Pilot Talent and others - even in the same base ship - are not allowed to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DailyRich wrote:
This was actually changed a few years ago. If you choose an illegal maneuver, you perform a white 2 forward rather than your opponent choosing your maneuver.

Ah, well I've never actually played in a tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stone
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great responses, thanks. Just one last question, a few people mentioned that the use of the evade token has changed in 2.0. We aren't planning to change to 2.0 so could someone please tell me how this rule has changed and then we can house rule it in our games. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In 1.0 an Evade token adds one evade result to your roll. In that way it was possible for a ship to avoid damage from an attack with more green results than green dice. For example, a standard TIE Fighter has an agility (green number) of 3 plus the evade action. With an evade token that ship could completely negate an attack of up to 4 hits.

In 2.0 an Evade token changes one green die to an Evade result. That means our aforementioned TIE Fighter can no longer block 4 hits, but instead maxes out at three cancellations.

Other things like obstacles that add green dice are ignored in this explanation for simplicity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.