Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
endofturn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lizard cult has been starting with 2x blue cards in hand, trying to pile into 3x occupied clearings to desperately try to be attacked just so they can reduce the population of cats. Their garden placing conspiracy is useless vs no buildings.

Eyrie faired a bit better, but still couldn't manage to battle in every place that they need to.

Turn 1 flipping a 2x or 3x recruit leads to a next turn of 7 points in the best of circumstances and the race is on. It's impossible to stop the recruiting since they don't need to rule to recruit. Lizards can't outscore 7 pts a turn or reliably attack or conspire where they need unless you are fortunate.

I'm about to go to some easy co-ops to get my confidence up like Ghost Stories, Yggdrasil, and Spirit Island. (Any tips welcome )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Mechanical Marquise DOES need to rule to recruit in most cases.

I feel like some adjustments are necessary to make the Mechanical Marquise a reasonable adversary against certain factions. In some cases I've been starting the game with some Marquise buildings on the board.

It's been discussed in other threads that games against the Mechanical Marquise can be very swingy, depending highly on the card draws on the first few turns. I wish there were a good way to mitigate this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drewkas wrote:
I am just going off my memory from reading the rules last night, but sn't rule ignored in the solo/co-op game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Green
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
Drewkas wrote:
I am just going off my memory from reading the rules last night, but sn't rule ignored in the solo/co-op game?

Yep.

From the expansion learning to play guide:
Quote:

Cooperative Play
You can play a cooperative game against the Mechanical Marquise. You win as a team
if every player scores 30 points before the Mechanical Marquise does. The Mechanical
Marquise has two changes:
» During Birdsong, the Mechanical Marquise also scores
one victory point per human player.
» The Mechanical Marquise recruits in all clearings
matching the suit of the crafting cost, regardless of rule.

I don't remember where, but I do remember reading that the designer clarified that the solo and co-op rules are the same as far as this goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
endofturn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's rough. I just pray that the 1 recruits are the only ones that come up but the Root gods have obviously forsaken me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Green
United States
Woodstock
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never come close with Eyrie because it's almost impossible to destroy the keep with the Eyrie, so no matter how many clearings you can take over, the MM keeps pumping out warriors from the keep.

I have beaten the MM with the Lizards. I try to position my starting garden in the same clearing suit as the MM's keep so that I can use Acolytes to destroy it via Sanctify. I try to do that as early as possible. Then it just becomes a game of area control.

One of the problems I have encountered in nearly every game of 1 vs 1 with the Lizards, is that the outcast faction rarely changes.

Also, I have had much greater success on the winter board with variable setup than I have on the autumn side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
endofturn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I'm missing something but what does the Keep have to do with them pumping out recruits and why does destroying it matter?

Also how do you Sanctify the Keep, it isn't a building?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Green
United States
Woodstock
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EntropyGuardian wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something but what does the Keep have to do with them pumping out recruits and why does destroying it matter?

Also how do you Sanctify the Keep, it isn't a building?

Ah, I was under the impression that the keep was a building. Also, I was under the impression that enemy pieces couldn't be moved into the keep, but that's not correct either. Enemy places just can't be placed there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
The trick is to train a particularly clever bird to take moves as you command. Since the Marquise gets points each turn for *human* players, if there are no human players and just a bird, she doesn't get any bonus points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JoeAubrey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
in more boxes
badge
mbmbmb
I tried and failed miserably to beat the Mechanical Marquise with the Eyrie twice. It felt like hammering a nail with a fish.

Then I thought, what if I add a Vagabond on my side?? I am already playing the "co-op" rules when playing solo! I quickly found out the Co-op rules actually requires ALL of the cooperative factions to get to 30 points before the MM, but undeterred, I carried on.

Even with my extremely limited experience, I squeaked by with a win by 2 points (30/30 vs. 28). I may have messed up a couple Vagabond rules in the beginning because it was the first time playing him, but still: It was fun.

The point is, trying to beat the MM 1v1 didn't seem very engaging, and might be swingy (I don't have enough experience to really say), but adding another faction on your side (at the cost of the MM earning an additional point every turn) really felt like I had the tools I needed to keep the Marquise at bay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Huhtala
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, the prevailing opinion here seems to be: "luck."

That means that MM is overtuned for solo play. I would suggest removing the rule that they ignore Ruling for Recruiting. I also don't think that the MM needs that extra VP each turn from the human opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Green
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian1981 wrote:
So, the prevailing opinion here seems to be: "luck."

That means that MM is overtuned for solo play. I would suggest removing the rule that they ignore Ruling for Recruiting. I also don't think that the MM needs that extra VP each turn from the human opponent.

At that point I think the solo opponent becomes little more than a punching bag.

Still maybe better than the original rules though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.