GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,458 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Napoleon's Triumph» Forums » Rules

Subject: Santon - All around defence? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Vandorffy
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
The rule state that the fixed battery on the Santon can lead a defence from reserve. That's clear enough. But does it (or any other defending pieces) have to move up to block the aproach after a victorious defence as per the attack completion rules (or after a feint)?

(If we assume an all around defence then it shouldn't have to. It could be outflanked after that.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The fixed battery does not have to advance in response to a feint because it is fixed and cannot change its position during the game. Other units on the Santon have no such exemption under the rules and none was intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a strange case tonight where two cavalry in the locale east of Bosenitz took out the fixed battery on the Santon. First, one feinted along the road through Bosenitz; as the fixed battery had been named as a defender against that attack, it was unable to defend against the second attack by the road from the south.

We did that correctly, right? The owner of the fixed battery was somewhat displeased that it was eliminated by units which would not have been able to lead an attack into that locale. Although it seems strange to me that the "fixed battery" is able to wheel about as needed, it didn't seem too unreasonable (to me, ha ha) that it was routed when attacked from two directions at once.

(I think section 18 is my least favorite rule in the game; if only it weren't optional, I would have something to complain about!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Haggerty
United States
flag msg tools
kuhrusty wrote:
The owner of the fixed battery was somewhat displeased that it was eliminated by units which would not have been able to lead an attack into that locale.

The fixed battery commander was the one who should have been displeased.
"Where is my infantry support!?!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:

We did that correctly, right?

Right.

kuhrusty wrote:

(I think section 18 is my least favorite rule in the game; if only it weren't optional, I would have something to complain about!)

I always use the option. People don't like getting driven out of a town by cavalry threats from two directions either, but bottom line is if you need to defend two approaches, you're going to need two units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
We had a strange case tonight where two cavalry in the locale east of Bosenitz took out the fixed battery on the Santon. First, one feinted along the road through Bosenitz; as the fixed battery had been named as a defender against that attack, it was unable to defend against the second attack by the road from the south.

We did that correctly, right? The owner of the fixed battery was somewhat displeased that it was eliminated by units which would not have been able to lead an attack into that locale. Although it seems strange to me that the "fixed battery" is able to wheel about as needed, it didn't seem too unreasonable (to me, ha ha) that it was routed when attacked from two directions at once.

It is difficult to know for sure how to simulate a position like the Santon, since it was never really attacked during the battle. Historically, however, Napoleon assigned a couple battalions of infantry to support the guns, so evidently he thought that the guns alone could not be counted on to hold the position. As a result, the rules encourage such an arrangement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
The owner of the fixed battery was somewhat displeased that it was eliminated by units which would not have been able to lead an attack into that locale.

Not disappointed - it just seemed odd that the crews would abandon their guns when neither of the units coming towards them could even make it up the hill. But just because the players know that doesn't mean the men on the ground would, I guess.

As for infantry support, Lannes' corps had just pulled back because he was in danger of being attacked across multiple approaches. Honestly the fixed battery on the Santon doesn't seem all that useful as a fighting unit. I've never seen it fire in any of my games. It has some deterrence value; mostly there's not much fighting on that side of the map, but even if the Allies decide to park a corps next door for several turns, they can easily plan for and absorb the artillery fire that they'll take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SabreRedleg wrote:

Not disappointed - it just seemed odd that the crews would abandon their guns when neither of the units coming towards them could even make it up the hill.

Maybe Marshal Ballinger had them dismount? If the gunners could get cannons up the hill, I'm sure somebody else could get up there and skewer them given proper motivation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.