Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone

I don't have any announcements. Yet. But I have an open wish list.

As many of you know, the current publisher does not want to reprint and the rights to the game and name have reverted to me. But not the artwork, not the minis, etc.

So I now hope to absorb as many ideas, wants, wishes and ideas from the community as possible. What would you want from the next Clash of Cultures?

I will be looking both here, and in an open Facebook group dedicated to ideas (https://www.facebook.com/groups/288789678371658/). This thread here will be one long thread (so not to spam the forum with several threads on different subjects), while the Facebook discussion can be more controlled with different posts on different subjects. Participate, where you want.

So, pour your heart out thumbsup

To get things going I have a few questions:

ARTWORK
- What should the cover look like?
- Any thoughts on the style?

PHYSICAL DESIGN
- Any ideas for things, that can be done smarter?

MECHANICS
- Any mechanics that can be improved?
- What rules do you mostly forget?
- What do you find people have the hardest time grasping?

But really - now is the time to come up with anything you have.

• [+] Dice rolls
Marius n Milan BGGs
South Africa
Stellenbosch
flag msg tools
Include the expansion in the base game. Please. It literally is my birthday, so I can make a wish
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Marius n Milan wrote:
Include the expansion in the base game. Please. It literally is my birthday, so I can make a wish

Yeah, this is something that needs a lot of thought as well as cost considerations etc. Wish noted. cool

Happy birthday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wish I could play it more often
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryn Ballard
United Kingdom
Woodley
Berkshire
flag msg tools
I Plan. Dice laugh
mbmbmbmbmb
I Love this game and I'm excited at the prospect of a new edition.

I have a few ideas:

It'd be nice to use objective cards that you can't complete as some kind of currency eg. discard two to draw one?

Having a B side to the technology boards that is unique could be a way to implement flavour to civs and give the expansion feel within the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fifth player. I can't think of any other glaringly missing feature. And yes, the game would probably drag on a lot, and the downtime and whatnot, but there's a few of us who don't really have any issues with that, and it's not like the extra pieces would force anyone to play with five, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
srcabeza wrote:
Fifth player. I can't think of any other glaringly missing feature. And yes, the game would probably drag on a lot, and the downtime and whatnot, but there's a few of us who don't really have any issues with that, and it's not like the extra pieces would force anyone to play with five, right?

I would love to see 5 or 6 players. But yeah, it would increase game and down time.

It is true, that no one is forced to play it. But they would be forced to pay for it

So it needs careful consideration. Its a lot of plastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marqzen wrote:

It is true, that no one is forced to play it. But they would be forced to pay for it

So it needs careful consideration. Its a lot of plastic.

I guess you might do it as an optional 5th player kit with all the boards and pieces, but then you'd probably upset the boo-it-should-be-in-the-base-game-theyre-ripping-us-off crowd. Tough call
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The obvious one is miniatures for the wonders.

Also wooden resource tokens shaped as what they represent like corn for food, a log for wood, etc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobie
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Secluded beach on the Virginia coastline. One of the greatest places on earth.
badge
Beardandglasses
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had this game on my wishlist for years, but never bought it because the expansion was nearly impossible to find. Having the expansion in the box would be ideal, but if not, then at least widely available for a separate purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning
Sweden
flag msg tools
Here are some house rules we play with. Use all, some or or discard them entirely, it's up to you:
House Rules
Your starting city starts as happy.
When a city is conquered, roll 1 die for each city piece except the settlement-piece. On 4+ it retain its color.
If a wonder (that has no victory tokens on it) is conquered by another player, place the victory token with the 2 VP-side up on the previous owners civilization board, and place the victory token with the 3 VP-side up covering the normal 5 VP. I.e. you always get 2 VP for building a wonder and 3 VP for owning a wonder.
When changing government category do not place 1 new cube, simply transfer all cubes from the previous government category. It still requires 1 advance action and resources.
A group comprised only of cavalry may move 2 spaces the first time they are moved each turn, if both spaces are fertile and/or barren.
Elephants:
If you and your opponent suffers an equal amount of hits the first combat round, do +1 hit.
Cannot enter ships.
Each time it enters a mountain space roll a die. On 5+ it is destroyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning
Sweden
flag msg tools
Regarding art, I would like all cards to have unique artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Collins
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found movement of units to be an issue at times. Moving your units around the map is done at the expense of developing your civilization because it uses up your actions to do so. I like how movement is implemented in the game but it limits what you can accomplish in developing your civilization.

Granted, I tend to be an aggressive player and like sending out armies resulting in less actions to build more cities, increase city size, and increase technologies.

I have thought about adding a "forced march" movement phase where each player could pay either one coin or food to move one group of units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
- - - - - -
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clash of Cultures is my all time favourite game, so it's almost perfect for me as it is. Many thanks to Christian and his team!

1. I wish I could use the wonder abilities earlier. We always play with this variant: Early Wonders Variant and it works well for us, but maybe you could find a more elegant solution.

2. I would like to see more trades between players. One way to encourage trades is to remove the limitation on how many culture tokens and mood tokens you can have (rules, page 4). This may also help with building the wonders earlier.

3. I would like a solution for the scripted first turn. A simple solution that we always use is this: Variant: Happy Starting Settlement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I own the game and expansion. I have no suggestions, it's f***ing bliss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Rivest
Canada
Blainville
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really glad to hear about this. This is my favorite game of all time after all (and also my girlfriend's)!
1- Include expansion in base game
2- Miniatures for Wonders
3- Solo rules/coop rules, team play (2 vs 2)
rules, custom scenario rules... to sum up different modes to play the game that will suit more people/increase replayability.
4- Custom units (especially Infantry and Settlers) for the different civilizations. If not possible to make all 14/15 factions, make the 4 -or 5, this making the extra minis worthwhile for everyone- colored Army units different with sculpts (e.g. one more asiatic, one arabic, one with hoplites, one more vikingish, one more tribal for aztecs and mayans, and barbarians have a different sculpt). Maybe make a deluxe edition for this or as stretch goals if going through Kickstarter if the cost is too high. But honestly I'd go all in and I think this would attract more people.
5- I also always play with the Happy
starting settlement variant to give more options for your first turns.
6- Barbarians spawn icon could be clearer.

For the artwork on the cover, I'd leave it as is, it can't really get better than that!
For the rules, I think they're perfect as is, I wouldn't like to see them simplified (dumbed down). I'd like if the base game rules summary mat and expansion rules summary card would be combined into one single mat. For the advances it works well as is. Maybe make a double-layered board for the resource track since it's the thing these days but I don't find it necessary.
Feel free to contact me if you need playtesters (We play mostly 2-player games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ARTWORK
- At this point, I think the cover is pretty iconic, as far as board game art goes. Any new edition should probably feature a charging war elephant on the front.
- I liked the semi-realistic terrain and character art. Would certainly prefer a similar style to cartoony or abstracted art.

PHYSICAL DESIGN
- Like the resource, happiness, and culture tracking being done on the player boards as opposed to accumulating piles of chits.
- Barbarian spawn icons on the regions could be difficult to see if you didn’t know where to look.
- Perhaps interlocking regions for the modular board, similar to Inis or other games. However, this may not work well given that the board is setup before start of play and pieces flipped during exploration.
- Really appreciate the cutouts for cubes on the tech trees.
- Minis for the wonders.
- Retain minis for the units and buildings. I wouldn’t want these to become cardboard. I fantasize about CMON minis for different cultures (similar to the style of Blood Rage) but recognize it’d be expensive. This is the one game I’d spend the money. Alternatively, something like the different sculpts for Matagot’s Kemet or War of the Ring (though not as floppy) would work.

MECHANICS
- No immediate thoughts come to mind. Really enjoy how this one plays.
- We did switch to the four-round happy variant game after several plays to reduce time and eliminate the scripted first turn.
- Perhaps turns could be overlapped some to allow for simultaneous elements and reduce play time further?

PUBLISHER (based on my limited exposure to component/production quality)
- Positive: CMON, Roxley, Matagot, Stonemaier, Ares
- Negative: Stronghold
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David S.
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
V1 Rotate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mechanics

- I'd like to see a little less random.
- Use of 3,3,4,4,5,6 or even average dice for more deterministic combat as the action cards already provide enough random to sway a combat in my opinion.
- Less randomness or more control over the objectives and action cards.
- Events I'm usually fine with, but it would be nice if they either only effected the player drawing or all players every time. Again, seems too random for player to get a good effect for themselves followed by another player getting a good effect for all (or replace good with negative)

Other

I think the artwork and pieces are great, so a similar art style would be nice. Minis for the wonders to match the rest of the pieces, the cardboard standees just stick out when on the board with everything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kellen Freeman
United States
Delaware
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the changes are just artwork, a revised rulebook, and some new cards or pieces, have an option for those of us with the game and expansion to be able to get just the new stuff. I don't want to have to rebuy a whole second edition just to get an updated rulebook and artwork if that's the bulk of the changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edu Avalon
Guatemala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Size of the minis: Minis are too big for the board (if you have a full army in a city, there's almost no place for everybody. Scale 1/72 for units will be good. By the way, improve the quality of mini, and change the leader design (these translucide colons looks awful ).
The game works very well, it is difficult to improve it.
Perhaps for 2 or 3 players, having some "neutral civilizations(bot)" will be nice. In the files section I've created the city states expansion (https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/155473/valuable-goods-cit... )perhaps, this could inspire you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In all honesty, I would not go too crazy with changes. This is a brilliant game and I truly hope it won't get 'streamlining' that reduces depth. So the core things:

- Artwork is great, but I would remake the tile artwork. It is a little generic.
- Including an expansion is a must, it literally makes the good game great.
- Wonder miniatures would be great.
- To add incentive for old owners to buy into new edition, new civilizations and leaders on top of old ones and 5th+6th player would be brilliant.
- Combined reference sheets for base game and expansion content would be great.

I really-really loved the art of leaders in Civilization. I truly hope you can retain that artist for new edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Cam
Belgium
Kontich
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I loved the extra units and buildings in Civilizations, the civs themselves didn't change much about how I played. That could be because I didn't get to play it enough and am yet to see the possibilities, but similar games (e.g. Eclipse) usually give me a much stronger feeling for the civ I'm playing with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crestfallen wrote:

- Retain minis for the units and buildings. I wouldn’t want these to become cardboard. I fantasize about CMON minis for different cultures (similar to the style of Blood Rage) but recognize it’d be expensive. This is the one game I’d spend the money. Alternatively, something like the different sculpts for Matagot’s Kemet or War of the Ring (though not as floppy) would work.

I don't know if Christian is even considering the possibility, but this would be perfect for a KS stretch goal.

Crestfallen wrote:
- At this point, I think the cover is pretty iconic, as far as board game art goes. Any new edition should probably feature a charging war elephant on the front.

OR, in truest Clash of Cultures style, change it to a charging camel, and then totally not include camel minis in the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samu Lattu
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hinnyboy wrote:
Your starting city starts as happy.

This is a nice way to speed up the development curve.

Hinnyboy wrote:
When a city is conquered, roll 1 die for each city piece except the settlement-piece. On 4+ it retain its color.

This is a nice, simple way to add in a story of cultural resistance toward a conqueror.

j41c wrote:
Moving your units around the map is done at the expense of developing your civilization because it uses up your actions to do so.

I agree. One way to allow constant development would be to make Advancing not an action, but something you may do to to end your turn with. The next player can start while you settle on an advancement, paying food as normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think moving your units should remain an action. This keeps the balance between aggressive and non-aggressive civs quite stable.

There are only so many resources to go around in a society, you can have a war-oriented nation or a nation of culture/science/etc. C&C does it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [12] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.