Root» Forums » General

Subject: Retail vs. Kickstarter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Does anyone know how you'll ultimately be able to distinguish a Kickstarter version of the game or the Riverfolk expansion from its retail version? For example, is "Kickstarter Edition" imprinted on the outside of either of the boxes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: LGBTQ allyMicrobadge: Trick or Treat fan - TrickMicrobadge: Plays Games with LoverMicrobadge: Onirim fanMicrobadge: Vast: The Crystal Caverns fan
It will say on the back 1st edition, 2nd printing.

Nothing is exclusive though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
GreenM wrote:

Thx. I thought I read something about the number of "trays" included in the retail vs. kickstarter editions of the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: LGBTQ allyMicrobadge: Trick or Treat fan - TrickMicrobadge: Plays Games with LoverMicrobadge: Onirim fanMicrobadge: Vast: The Crystal Caverns fan
That's true. The card trays will be probably reduced to 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Copper ReviewerMicrobadge: Le Havre fanMicrobadge: Sentinels of the Multiverse fan - Citizen Dawn: Rise!Microbadge: Copper Folding@Home donator
GreenM wrote:
Less to throw out to fit everything in the box!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan West
United States
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG posterMicrobadge: Root fan
Shadrach wrote:
GreenM wrote:
Less to throw out to fit everything in the box!
I've been so confused by this. With baggies, I was pretty easily able to fit everything (base game and expansion) all into the base game box, including the card holders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
United States
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Root fanMicrobadge: Root fanMicrobadge: Dominion fanMicrobadge: Istanbul fanMicrobadge: Game Boy Geek fan
GreenM wrote:

I'm guessing that if we're late to the party as far as the kickstarter, there will be no way to purchase the kickstarter version (except it be from someone who has already purchased the first version?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Kaufmann
Canada
Richmond Hill
Ontario
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Blood Rage fanMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Memoir '44 fan
1st edition, 2nd printing.
Would this be considered the retail version.
I just got mine and its 1st edition, 1st printing. That be KS?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Brueckner
Germany
Loerrach
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: Root fanMicrobadge: Arctic Scavengers fan Microbadge: Ancient History fanMicrobadge: 18xx fan
GreenM wrote:
I understand that this seems to be company policy, for me, after a couple of failed kickstarters I appreciate some exclusive content for supporting the willingness to take a risk to make a new game available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
millenium_baby wrote:
GreenM wrote:
I understand that this seems to be company policy, for me, after a couple of failed kickstarters I appreciate some exclusive content for supporting the willingness to take a risk to make a new game available.
Backers got the expansion for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CardBoard Bear

near Los Angeles
California
msg tools
Microbadge: Gaia Project fanMicrobadge: Coimbra fanMicrobadge: Scythe fanMicrobadge: Catacombs fanMicrobadge: Sentinels of the Multiverse fan
millenium_baby wrote:
GreenM wrote:
not all ks are the same. failed ks are from bad companies that either embezzle the money, or are very poor at managing the cash flow and so end up spending the funds and be unable to print. I'm sorry you went through it, but there's basically no way that an established, competent publisher like Leder would fail to deliver a kickstarter (short of something extreme like losing the entire shipment in a ship accident, and having the shipper refuse to pay for it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen M
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Cosmic Encounter fanMicrobadge: Pax Pamir fanMicrobadge: Shut Up & Sit Down fanMicrobadge: Skull fanMicrobadge: Game Design Hobbyist
millenium_baby wrote:
GreenM wrote:
I hate most kickstarter exclusives. They turn games into collectibles, and blur the line for "what ruleset is the real game".

If I have a kickstarter exclusive component that improves the game, then when I praise the game to a friend, I'm talking about a different, better game than they'd get if they bought it. Even if it's only a slight difference, it's sloppy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
Microbadge: Android: Netrunner fan - ShapersMicrobadge: I won this werewolf in a top hat microbadge from Level 99 Games!
millenium_baby wrote:
GreenM wrote:
Are you really "making a new game available" if the full game isn't available to people after the Kickstarter ends?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethereality wrote:

Are you really "making a new game available" if the full game isn't available to people after the Kickstarter ends?
I think the idea is to find some exclusive item that isn't going to alter gameplay mechanics in any significant way. It parallels the video game industry and micro transactions in competitive style games; the more widely accepted practice is offering an exclusive that is purely cosmetic or just 'nice to have' but won't make the game worse not to have.

I think something like alternative art on faction boards or card backs could be cool. Even slightly different looking meeples could be kinda cool (as long as readability isn't sacrificed). A fancy die, maybe? Either way, the practice DOES prey on FOMO and I'm glad there isn't anything important I'm missing from my retail copy of Root.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
I actually feel better about backing a Kickstarter if I'm helping fund a better version of the game for everyone, not just fellow backers. Otherwise, I'll just wait for retail (and the chance to see more reviews and play it a few times); it's usually easy to pick up someone else's KS copy when they sell or auction it here (most don't end up with the hugely inflated prices of Blood Rage / Rising Sun).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Caracas
Venezuela
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization fanMicrobadge: Kanban: Automotive Revolution fanMicrobadge: Fan of Le HavreMicrobadge: Fresco fanMicrobadge: Ticket to Ride fan
I would say now it is different, most of them ended with a real inflated price plus the shipping that it could be until 20% of the value of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Caracas
Venezuela
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization fanMicrobadge: Kanban: Automotive Revolution fanMicrobadge: Fan of Le HavreMicrobadge: Fresco fanMicrobadge: Ticket to Ride fan
Totally agree !

So far, for all the games I have backed, the stretch goals stay in the box and I don't use them. they add unnecessary complication, length to the game and even a boring experience.

At the end, I am only paying for the upgraded pieces that most of the time are super cool and of course supporting independent designers/producers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls