Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am just learning the game and have some questions that probably seem painfully obvious. Nevertheless:

1. After three rounds of combat, can pinned troops retreat?

2. when retreating, is there a one hex movement limit?

3. Do Wizards have to use gold to recover (build) steps spent to cast spells? Does that make the Heroes and Treasures expansion mandatory?

4. What about hexes that contain three terrain types? I’m thinking of a hex that has woods on one side, mountains on the other, and a road running through the middle. For the sake of stacking during combat, which terrain type do I choose?

5. Turtling: my seven year old is playing the undead in the first WK2 scenario. He has four units tucked away in [Bethi?]. If a city has a stacking limit of five, how do I pry him out of there? If he sticks a fifth unit in the city, is the game over at that point?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:
1. After three rounds of combat, can pinned troops retreat?

Yes. Pinning only prohibits running away before combat. All units in a battle can retreat as early as the second combat round, regardless of which were pinned before the fight.

Quote:
2. when retreating, is there a one hex movement limit?

Yes, except for fliers, which get their full move if they retreat to a friendly hex.

Quote:
3. Do Wizards have to use gold to recover (build) steps spent to cast spells? Does that make the Heroes and Treasures expansion mandatory?

Yes and no. Even without H&T, you can put your wizards on a "rotary schedule". Send the spent ones to a large city or to a henge and bring in the reserves.

Quote:
4. What about hexes that contain three terrain types? I’m thinking of a hex that has woods on one side, mountains on the other, and a road running through the middle. For the sake of stacking during combat, which terrain type do I choose?

The hex terrain is always the type found in the middle of the hex. It's not always clear, but in most cases, you can make out what is supposed to be interior and what is hex-side terrain. A road has no effect on interior terrain, only on hex-side movement. In your example, I'd guess it's a plains hex with a forest and mountain hexside.

Quote:
5. Turtling: my seven year old is playing the undead in the first WK2 scenario. He has four units tucked away in [Bethi?]. If a city has a stacking limit of five, how do I pry him out of there? If he sticks a fifth unit in the city, is the game over at that point?

The stacking limit applies to each player separately. You can attack Bethi with 5 units no matter how many your son uses for defense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Walker
United Kingdom
Liss
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The stacking limit applies to each player separately. You can attack Bethi with 5 units no matter how many your son uses for defense.

Ouch ...
In our first game at the weekend we interpreted the stacking in a city rule as per the original questioner (i.e. apparently incorrectly). We assumed that cities allow +1 stacking BUT only for the defender. This intuitively seemed correct and also worked well in our game (after all a city ought to provide some benefit to the defender) .. we may well continue with this 'house rule' ourselves.

Alternative Suggestion
How about only allowing the defender to have a fifth unit BUT that fifth unit can only be a castle? This would allow strategically important defence but not in all cities as the defender would have to choose which cities to fortify with a limited supply of castle blocks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Niko, thank you for the clarifications, and also let me say that it is awesome that you have a wall named after you in the game! I wonder if Columbia Games would object to the wikification of the 2.0 rules so these sorts of questions and answers could be annotated, like an illuminated manuscript.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:
Niko, thank you for the clarifications, and also let me say that it is awesome that you have a wall named after you in the game!

Oh, you spotted that blush I have to say that getting invaded by orcs gets old fast.

Quote:
I wonder if Columbia Games would object to the wikification of the 2.0 rules so these sorts of questions and answers could be annotated, like an illuminated manuscript.

I suppose they would want somebody in charge of the annotations to keep it official. Wouldn't they risk losing their copyright if they allow free editing of the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Niko Ruf wrote:
craniac wrote:
Niko, thank you for the clarifications, and also let me say that it is awesome that you have a wall named after you in the game!

Oh, you spotted that blush I have to say that getting invaded by orcs gets old fast.

Quote:
I wonder if Columbia Games would object to the wikification of the 2.0 rules so these sorts of questions and answers could be annotated, like an illuminated manuscript.

I suppose they would want somebody in charge of the annotations to keep it official. Wouldn't they risk losing their copyright if they allow free editing of the rules?

I suppose a FAQ for WK2 would work, with numbered sections that match those in the rules, perhaps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Hilinski
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Just to slightly expand Niko's reply, things are slightly different in coastal hexes. There, the predominant terrain rules, not the center terrain. If you miss this, you will encounter ambiguous hexes.

Quote:

You later suggested allowing the defender some sort of advantage in cities. I am not too keen on this myself because the defender may already have too much of an advantage. He fires first, and the attacker must struggle with hex side limitations just to enter the battle hex.

Concerning FAQs and other means of annotating rules, I would write to them (Columbia Games), but I think you will find they would be very supportive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eliot Hemingway
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The solution to taking an uber-city is simple, though not easy. Besiege it. Hit it repeatedly, use spells to wack expensive units, and save up GP to rebuild your units faster than his one city can (if he's turtling in one city, you have the rest of the map). If possible, rotate attacking units from turn to turn.

If that's not possible, for time or force reasons, then you probably are doomed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is indeed a key tactic. Try to set up your supply and reinforcements so you can attack several turns in a row with sufficient strength.

Corbeau wrote:
Hit it repeatedly, use spells to wack expensive units,

I often find that it's more effective to use panic, crypt smell, etc. to chase away cheap, full-strength blocks than to cast damaging spells. Once the cannon fodder is gone, every hit you deal in regular combat is costly for your opponent.

Of course, not all races have these spells.

Quote:
If that's not possible, for time or force reasons, then you probably are doomed.

Depending on the victory conditions, it may be wise to just leave the big city alone and take all the villages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.