GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,203 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Carcassonne» Forums » Variants

Subject: no farmers, no problem rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Schultz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
ninja

We like casual play an dfarmers require too much thought, so we just omit the farmer option. Easier to score so more fun for us.

You could reduce the number of Followers each player may have to "simulate" some farmers out there, if you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bratgamer wrote:
We like casual play an dfarmers require too much thought, so we just omit the farmer option. Easier to score so more fun for us.

You could reduce the number of Followers each player may have to "simulate" some farmers out there, if you like.

In my opinion, omitting farmers takes away a huge part of what makes Carcassonne so interesting. The way you can join up farms and try to take over (or hold onto) 20+ points makes for some fun struggles and interesting strategic choices.

As mentioned, the new farmer scoring makes it much easier to understand. All you have to do is look at a field (enclosed by the river, roads, cities, and/or the edge of the board), see who has the most followers in that field, and give that player 3 points per completed city the field touches. Simple, no?

But do whatever floats your boat. :]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ireland
Dublin 14
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use this variation with my children. It works well for them and they win more often the not. It does take a lot of the strategy out of the game but it does leave the fun in. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GG and all I got was this lousy overtext!
badge
I spent 200 GG and all I got was this lousy overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll take my farmers over my cold dead body!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul sitko
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing without farmers is good for two situations:

1) Playing with kids who are going to have a hard time visualizing the territory that defines a farm

2) Introducing non-gamer first-timers. A lot of people have a hard time with farmers on their first game. Sometimes it helps to let them get the feel of the other mechanics of the game first.

If you are going to play without farmers, consider giving players one or two less followers than normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talorien
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Pahool's thought below

A non-gaming couple who heard that I like boardgames and asked me to bring a simple one to try out after a meal at their place.

We had a really enjoyable time playing Carc without the farmers option. It was us and another single friend, also a non-gamer.

The couple hosting asked to borrow the game and I'm pretty sure they'll be on to Farmers in no time

Everyone had about 3 Meeples left at the end (playing with the full 7), so playing with 2 Meeples less seems about right.

pahool wrote:
Playing without farmers is good for two situations:

1) Playing with kids who are going to have a hard time visualizing the territory that defines a farm

2) Introducing non-gamer first-timers. A lot of people have a hard time with farmers on their first game. Sometimes it helps to let them get the feel of the other mechanics of the game first.

If you are going to play without farmers, consider giving players one or two less followers than normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Zhang
United States
Trumbull
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can understand leaving out the farming rules when playing with young children. There's a benefit to adding one piece of the puzzle at a time.

With new "non-gamers", however, (rather, potential-gamers) I've never had a problem with introducing all the rules at once, including those from all the expansion supplements we've added. I think it's all in being a good game explainer. I've even had "non-gamers" win their first time. We do always offer helpful advice (usually my wife will give advice that would severely hurt my plans.) As the game progresses, we hold our advice back more and more, depending on how well the new player is picking the rules up.

Even when it comes to farming, Carc really isn't that difficult a game and the luck of the draw brings about a slightly more even playfield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.