Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't we all

I'd buy a copy of San Juan or Blue Moon and you get the rule books for free.

Be inspired! Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paolo f anderson
United States
Allyn
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I have already the simulation model and the theme is innovative ...
Simply I don't know well how to translate the model in a good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jefF, There are some who call me... DuneKitteh
United States
Wood Dale
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dune Kitty really does love you, despite any asshattery.
badge
Useless rollover, booya! Dune Kitty says, "deal with it."
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: I'd like to learn how to design hand management-card gam
panderson wrote:
I have already the simulation model and the theme is innovative ...
Simply I don't know well how to translate the model in a good game.

And, therein lies the trick. That's what game designers actually do. There's simply a point when you have to tailor the game you are designing to the mechanics and theme as it applies to what you've already decided and set forth. In other words, no book or other game is going to tell you how to design exactly to your specific needs and restrictions - that's what prototypes and play testings (usually several of each to achieve the feel and balance) are for.

Ask yourself, what are the cards supposed to do for your game and what effect they'll have on it;
are they the whole game, just a part, or just a minor effect thing,
in both micro and macro situations (can a card or combination literally win the game, or does a card or combination just affect one or two others or only specific situations),
and what are the restrictions to mix and match sets (how many cards can you hold/play,
and what combinations can you not do, or only work if you do them).

Then start applying the different situations and scenarios to cards. When you play test, you'll find the situations you didn't think of, or stuff that may be too powerful, or not enough, and you adjust and move forward.

Good luck to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grab a standard pack of cards, think about something you've always wanted to do in a card game to make it more strategic, then start to jot down your thoughts.

When I'm thinking up a game I'm writing everything I can think of - all my thoughts - in a notepad. If I've played a game recently whose mechanic or part of a mechanic I like I may look to see how a similar method may relate to a completely different game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paolo f anderson
United States
Allyn
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
The theme is historical, there is a world map devided in areas. So it should be a card - driven historical simulation, and not an euro - abstract game. So the cards should simulate real events/actions in a realistic fashion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
Re: I'd like to learn how to design hand management-card gam
I suggest you have a look a Twilight Struggle, which is a popular game in the style you're thinking of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.