Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

From the picture of the board you can tell there are some changes to the second edition.

Asymmetric starting powers - one faction is better at building, one can use their military units a second time, another gets a bonus when obtaining knowledge, can’t see the last one.

My thoughts: this is one of my favorite mechanics in a game, love trying the different players out. It does encourage you to go in a specific direction which can be good or bad. Good if your clueless and new to the game. But, my wife didn’t like going combat so she wouldn’t like the military power and wouldn’t take that race.

Gems, new resource - appears you can spend gems in a few different ways to help get you out of a jam: feed a citizen, feed a titan (I’m guessing stop it from attacking buildings), get a coin, etc. Looks like these go out on every space of the board, and the first player to take the action gets a gem to later spend.

Thoughts: I think this is done to make the game a little more forgiving, so you can play a citizen even if you don’t have enough food, or stop a titan from eating your city. Softens the experience a little, but also adds some complexity with a third resource to manage.

Placing workers - it now appears that you can always place a worker, even if they have a lower skill by paying a coin per skill difference.

Thoughts: Again, makes the game more forgiving, you can’t completely block someone. This is good because we’ve had turns where a player could do almost nothing, however some fun of worker placement is blocking people from spaces.

Cost changes: knowledge scrolls now cost 2 instead of 3 making them easier to get. Labor action gives you coins per skill instead of a flat two. Both make actions happen easier, more scrolls will be in the game and more money will be in the game(a little more).

Player board changes: You can now mark your district space instead of having to add it up every time. The boards still expand with cards horizontally. Since the cards have their abilities at the top, I wish they would make the cards to stack vertically.

Overall, looks like some ways to make the game more forgiving, a few more things to think about and asymmetric powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Șerban
Romania
Bucharest
Romania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
can you share the picture, please

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had been a big Red Raven Games supporter in the past, but it's gotten to the point that they inevitably get 2nd editions to fix issues from original game. I understand that they aren't the only ones that come out with 2nd editions, but it seems like there has been a pattern of pumping out games, then doing a 2nd edition of one of them, then come out with another new one and then a 2nd edition of another previous one.

For me personally, I won't buy another first edition game from them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you think this version fixes anything? A 2nd Edition gives Ryan the chance to advance the design, it has no bearing on the original. The first edition will continue to be a fantastic game after this is published, just like Empires of the Void and City of Iron.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Fraser
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the first and nothing in the new edition makes my copy any less cool. I get that they make second editions but it doesn’t invalidate the previous game. Their games are good out of the box in any edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Why do you think this version fixes anything? A 2nd Edition gives Ryan the chance to advance the design, it has no bearing on the original. The first edition will continue to be a fantastic game after this is published, just like Empires of the Void and City of Iron.

Okay, perhaps "fixes it" wasn't a correct phrase. From now on, then I would prefer to wait for the advanced design.

Generally speaking, when I see a game that comes out on the market that is 2nd edition of something, I'm going to buy that over the 1st edition. If I'm selling a used 1st edition of something and the 2nd edition of the game comes out, I would expect less interest in what I'm selling.

If some advancement of the game in a 2nd edition makes it more likely for me to get it to the table than the 1st edition because it's more streamlined, balanced, or whatever, then the 2nd edition is more attractive.

Anyway, it was just my opinion on the matter and doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

Okay, perhaps "fixes it" wasn't a correct phrase. From now on, then I would prefer to wait for the advanced design.

Generally speaking, when I see a game that comes out on the market that is 2nd edition of something, I'm going to buy that over the 1st edition. If I'm selling a used 1st edition of something and the 2nd edition of the game comes out, I would expect less interest in what I'm selling.

If some advancement of the game in a 2nd edition makes it more likely for me to get it to the table than the 1st edition because it's more streamlined, balanced, or whatever, then the 2nd edition is more attractive.

Anyway, it was just my opinion on the matter and doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

I think it’s a valid frustration. I see you own 1st edition city of iron too. I’m in the same boat as you with both those games. I didn’t get the second edition of that one since I had the first. Not sure about this one yet. I just bought Ancient World in July!! So I was initially like...dang it...wish I would have known!! But I’ve played it at least five times and know I like it now and will probably play it ten more times before the KS gets delivered. I think it’s more work to do a second edition than a reprint. This will hopefully get more people to check it out than a straight reprint would. People were disappointed when Eclipse did the same thing. But the new game looks way better. Resale value goes down, but the fun I’ve had with all these first edition games will not go away and even made it possible (even ever so slightly) for these companies to grow and get more quality games out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Seeger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I, as a German, am more worried about a possible translation into german. Ancient World is not that language dependent but a german edition would be nice.

Another matter is, will there be an upgrade pack, or will this be like all the others? It probably won't matter this way or another, my wife and I love the original and are already eager to try the changes which are derived from the picture.

We're hoping for more Titans and maybe other ways to win. Stronger buildings and so on. The first editions pitch said, in essence, that you could win when you built the better town, but neither me nor my wife ever won with buildings only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Garbe
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest (only) issue with the 1st edition was that the "family growth" space didn't become available until round 3 and was pretty much useless after round 4... hoping this gets addressed in the 2nd edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know how the attacking titans work? this is my biggest gripe with the 1st edition, titans weren't particularly menacing, they seemed more like another type of scoring card.

Also, I am a bit concerned about this edition being more forgiving. IMO the original was already on the loose side for a worker placement game. Although if the titans are now more of a menace, that should compensate it I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Moratti
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 1st edition plays fine and is a very good game. Not the least interested in the 2nd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter B
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm probably a minority, but I think I prefer cardboard coins. Metal makes the game heavier. I think I wait for retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
datiswous wrote:
I'm probably a minority, but I think I prefer cardboard coins. Metal makes the game heavier. I think I wait for retail.

The coins seems to be like the one he made for Near and Far, so they are actually very light.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tritze
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have a question that compares 1st edition with 2nd edition. I have recently found out about this game, thus I have not played this game yet. However, I found a seller that offers the 1st edition at a good price.
What would be your advice for someone that has not played neither edition? 1st or 2nd edition?

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Garbe
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tritze wrote:
I have a question that compares 1st edition with 2nd edition. I have recently found out about this game, thus I have not played this game yet. However, I found a seller that offers the 1st edition at a good price.
What would be your advice for someone that has not played neither edition? 1st or 2nd edition?

Thank you!

I have yet to play the 2nd edition (waiting on Kickstarter fulfillment), but the 1st edition is a perfectly playable and quite fun game!

I'm not positive, but I think the 2nd edition upgrade kit will be available from Red Raven Games website as well. If so, you could always upgrade at a later time if you feel so inclined.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1st Edition is a great game and an OOP gem at that. I have it and plan to keep it on my shelf next to my shiny new 2nd Edition after it delivers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.