Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Liu
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There has been a lot of discussion on how to open and setting up a good engine. This will be a look into how to score points for the endgame and goals to aim for

Round 1-3 (sometimes 4) are mainly aimed at setting up income and building up your engine. Rounds 4-6 should be focused on scoring VP and hitting your endgame goals

Here are some areas of points everyone should be hitting by the end of the game to have a shot at winning

Form 3 feds (not counting TF5) - this should be the goal for an avg race without any bonuses to federation. Those with bonuses should form more. Feds are key because they are required to reach level 5 of tech trees and to claim advanced techs. They also provide solid VPs & resources.

Tech track - all races should be able to go up 2 tracks to level 4 and preferably hit a level 5 at a min. (20VPs)

If you start with an early AC/Get some extra knowledge during the game, you should aim to go up 3 tracks. (28-32VPs) And if you invest in sci, you will likely go up 4-5 tracks. (40+VPs)

Adv techs - you should aim to get a combination of 2-3 adv tech/lvl5 tech. (This is why 3 Feds are important) More than that means you will likely win and less than 2 means you probably won’t

You should aim for 12-16 VP from each adv techs. More than that is really good

Pass per round techs - 3VP/RL, 3VP/Fed, 1VP/planet. These usually score much higher than other Adv techs as they can usually be gotten in R4 and trigger 3 times. Even at 2 triggers, you are looking at 15-18VP

Instant Scoring - most will get you 12-16 and are pretty easy to max out. 2VP/M, 4VP/TS, 2VP/GP, 2VP/Sector, 5VP/Fed. Some could get more but usually have higher competition which forces them to be grabbed earlier

Points per build - these are the weaker adv tech and usually not worth getting unless they line up very well with your tech track and race. The issue is that these require you to get them very early to have any meaningful effect and it’s often hard to continue building your income while going for these early

QIC Actions - you should aim for about 3-4VP per qic. Average is closer to 3VP per qic due to fed rescoring usually giving you less VP but some additional resources

The 2qic action has the highest return as it should easily get 7VP (home planet + 2x 1dig types + 1 gaia). It’s easy enough to hit the that and get more if you did some 2dig or went up TF.

3qic action - use it on 8VP +1qic or 12VP for the most VP efficiency. Otherwise any other Fed will give you moderate points along with some good resources

4qic action - usually used endgame to grab an Adv tech without building a RL/AC

Round Boosts:
From round 4-6, each round you should aim for a round boost that scores points. You are looking for at least 5-6VPs. These boosts are very important for races that score lower in other areas to make up points. It is worth it to pass early to grab a good one and setup for an early start in R5/6. (A mistake I’ve made many times)

Late Game Round Bonus:
5VP/Fed - this is a big one and can influence races that are good at forming feds if it comes up in R5/6. If it comes up late everyone should get at least 10Vp here min. Upwards of 20-25 are possible

3-4VP/TS, 3-4VP/GP Mine, 2VP/track bump, 2VP/Dig - these can all score you 8-16 points. You should look to be lined up for these if you can

Final Scoring:
I wouldn’t aim for #1 on both. This usually requires too much sacrifice in other areas, or it means the Map setup was imbalance and you got a good race, or your opponents didn't perform well that game and you will probably win anyways.

A High score would be 24-30VP. Average score is 18-21 (1st & 4th, 2&3, ties, etc). Low score is 12 but likely you scored higher on science track/adv techs. This is because most of the FS require map presence and sci setups do poorly there. If you score less that than that, you most likely will not win

In the end, I think all races can score 150-160 on a decent map for them. But to win competitive games, you will usually need a score of at least 180+
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kern
msg tools
Re: Beyond the Early Game (A guide to scoring)
You should probably add round booster points to the original post. In a higher player count game you can expect to get 2 rounds with these bonuses. Each of these is worth about 6-9vp. So you can expect to get 12 if you get 2 and 18 if you get 3.

Below is a breakdown of waht I would consider an average competitive score to look like. Winning usually requires you to do better than average in a few categories or do really above average in some and worse in others.

Feds = 24

Tech Track = 32

Adv Tech = 32 (The range is pretty varied, but the average is above 12)

QIC Actions = 24

Round Bonuses = 30

Round Boosters = 15 (12-18)

End Game Scoring = 18

Total = 175
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Beyond the Early Game (A guide to scoring)
Yea i missed it in my original post (and FS) but edited it. I think you should aim for VP boost in R4-6 and try for 3 but likely only get 2

Usually you can’t do everything but there is definitely a floor VP you should hit in some categories. Others are trade offs and you should be able to excel in others due to your racial selection and gameplay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahle
Sweden
flag msg tools
frotes wrote:
Round Boosts:
From round 4-6, each round you should aim for a round boost that scores points. You are looking for at least 6VPs. These boosts are very important for races that score lower in other areas to make up points. It is worth it to pass early to grab a good one and setup for an early start in R5/6. (A mistake I’ve made many times)

This is a vital part of your late game because grabbing or denying the right round booster can make a big point swing against your opponents. I also struggle with tough choices in round 4 and especially 5 whether to pass early or keep hitting the round points.

Limitless333 wrote:
Below is a breakdown of waht I would consider an average competitive score to look like. Winning usually requires you to do better than average in a few categories or do really above average in some and worse in others.

QIC Actions = 24

This is interesting, a score of 24 for QIC actions is a higher average than in our games. That means a use of 6-7 QIC for QIC actions. I can see a few specific factions having access to a lot of QIC but overall how do you get the QIC needed and how early does players start using them for QIC actions? I would say I average maybe 1 QIC act per game (3-4 players).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bokken B
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mb
I feel this is more of a "if you're going to focus on this stragegy not what you should look for every game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kern
msg tools
Quote:
This is interesting, a score of 24 for QIC actions is a higher average than in our games. That means a use of 6-7 QIC for QIC actions. I can see a few specific factions having access to a lot of QIC but overall how do you get the QIC needed and how early does players start using them for QIC actions? I would say I average maybe 1 QIC act per game (3-4 players).

I typically take 2-4 QIC actions for points depending on my faction so I just went with an average of 3. With any Science strategy, I tend to move up in AI late game R4-R6 and take some QIC actions this way. Sometimes I am taking the tech tile action though so the point estimate may be a bit unfair.

I will also say that I have played a lot of games where I focused on points more than average early game. I played a game this weekend where it was 5vp PI/A R1, 2vp TF R2, and 4vp per Gaia on R3 I made my PI for 5vp and I took 4 total Gaia/Trans planets with the Terrans for 16vp Total 21 VP R1-R3. R4 Scoring was mines and I was able to make 3 for 6, R5 was 4/TS I made 3 for 12, R6 was Tech Steps and I made 7 steps. 4 from upgrading 2 TS->2RL->2A 2 from knowledge saved from prior round due to scoring and 1 from 1k/planet type.

R1-R3: 21 VP
R4-R6: 32 VP

Round Scoring: 53 VP

I only took 2 QIC actions this game Planet types for 8vp and copy the 8vp/QIC fed for 8.

My wife was playing the Geodens and took 4 QIC actions late game for scoring. She scored 0 points on R3 Gaia scoring and scored 56 VP from research. In summary, its hard to give a guide on when or how to score. I think you should have a plan though.

Our final scores was Terrans 194 v. Geodens 186.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Limitless333 wrote:
Quote:

I typically take 2-4 QIC actions for points depending on my faction so I just went with an average of 3.

I was avoiding putting up numbers for QIC because it varies based on player count.

In 4p, I would feel good about getting the 2/3qic actions Twice from rounds 5-6. This is because you have 4 players mainly going for 2 scoring qic actions spots. That comes out to an average of 1 scoring qic action from R5-6, with a possible 1 from R4. R4 is less contested but requires you to have QIC available at that point too and be setup for it.

In R6, you are usually deciding between taking qic action first, adv tech, or a critical power action.

These are averages, if you get more then that’s great. If you get a lot more than you probably won

In a 2p, you can usually split them each round from 4-6, so avg 3 as Limitless said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kern
msg tools
I have revised what I consider standard for the scoring categories to the following. I think this is a good baseline minimum that all factions can accomplish.

Feds = 21 (3X7)

Tech Track = 24 (Top of 2)

Adv Tech = 16 (1 Advance Tech)

Standard Tech = 7 (7VP tech or 3VP/Gaia)

QIC Actions = 14 (2 Actions)

Round Bonuses = 40 (6VP to 7VP round average)

End Game Scoring = 18

Total = 155

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what's with leech?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kern
msg tools
Jack Spirio wrote:
what's with leech?

Leech ends up being positive most of the time, but I assume you will leech at least 10VP away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C.
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Limitless333 wrote:
I have revised what I consider standard for the scoring categories to the following. I think this is a good baseline minimum that all factions can accomplish.

Feds = 21 (3X7)

Tech Track = 24 (Top of 2)

Adv Tech = 16 (1 Advance Tech)

Standard Tech = 7 (7VP tech or 3VP/Gaia)

QIC Actions = 14 (2 Actions)

Round Bonuses = 40 (6VP to 7VP round average)

End Game Scoring = 18

Total = 155

Just curious how you come to 24 points from being at the Top of 2 Tech Tracks? I thought you get 4VP for each tech track you are on level 3,4 or 5. Are you saying that you should be on at least level 3 of 6 tracks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
lvl 3 -> 4vp
lvl 4 -> 8vp
lvl 5 -> 12vp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C.
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. I see now the folly of my ways!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls