David Goh
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Endogenesis Solo/Co-op mode for 1-2 players:
CHAOS ROYALE

IT'S HAPPENING — Solo & duo mode will be part of Endogenesis! It'll automatically be included in the version of the game that's currently available on Kickstarter.

The Story
Written by Ryan Mennen

The tapestry of the multiverse is complex beyond comprehension. Beyond even the many realities lies a parallel existence where much is familiar... but nothing is the same.

In one such state of existence the Realm of Chaos has infected the multiverse, corrupting the planes from which you and your kind once drew sustenance... leading to the fall of your brethren.

The impossible task of combating every monstrosity that the Realm of Chaos spews sits solely upon you and any of your kin who may have survived the cosmic venom coursing through the multiverse.

Differences from the Normal Game Mode

· Just about all rules regarding mechanics, setup and turn order that apply to the normal game mode also applies here. For balance purposes, certain cards will be removed from the different decks.
· In the beginning, it's just you (or the both of you) versus the Realm of Chaos. However, for each Legendary Monster you slay, a new slot opens up, allowing the Realm of Chaos to spit out an extra Monster, until there are a maximum of 3 active on the field. Use a player card to track the Health of these extra monsters.

· Just like in the original game mode, the Monsters take their turn after players have taken theirs. Monsters take their turn separately, and in order of when the Monster's slot was opened up.
· If you're playing with 2 players, the other player is not considered an "enemy" in this mode, so your AOE attacks will not hurt them.

The Goal

· Where the previous goal was merely to acquire 3 Prisms, your new goal is to completely decimate the Realm of Chaos. This includes defeating EVERY Monster (Legendary or otherwise) and exhausting the Realm of Chaos deck.
· Prisms no longer serve as victory tokens. They can now be discarded to deal 1 true strike damage to any monster. However, they also serve as de facto "point tokens" — if you're able to destroy the Realm of Chaos entirely without using your Prisms, you're the undisputed champion of the solo mode!

You lose if...

· You die. There are no resurrects in the solo mode — your run ends if you or both of your Health goes to 0. If one player dies while playing 2 player mode, that player stays dead and all their Skills, cards and Shards are removed from the game.
· You run out of RoK cards on hand, and the RoK is exhausted. Unlike the normal game mode, there are no re-shuffles. So be careful not to overdraw!

What our testers like about it

· It's got a different kind of intensity. Because it's just you and the monsters, there's absolutely no downtime at all, so things move fast.
· Where the normal mode has intrigue, in the solo mode it's replaced by a more complex form of resource management. You need to observe how fast you're burning out the RoK deck, and ensure that you quickly dispatch monsters that also draw from the RoK deck, because they're basically depleting your resources!
· It's VERY challenging. Because you're working towards destroying the entire Realm of Chaos, it becomes a chaotic battle of survival. We've done around 15 playtests so far with testers familiar with the original game mode, and we've managed to win only 1/3rd of the time.
· It's got a nice gradual growth in difficulty, as though you're playing a very condensed form of an RPG. Battles before getting your first Prism are easy because it's essentially 1v1, but later on in the game, you're going up against potentially 3 Legendary monsters at a time!

Some details regarding the rules might change in future. I'll be doing more tests in the weeks to come, so stay tuned!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek J
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Awesome news David! Any chance the solo rules will be posted before the KS ends so that we may try it out on Tabletopia?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goh
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yayaba wrote:
Awesome news David! Any chance the solo rules will be posted before the KS ends so that we may try it out on Tabletopia?

I'll see what I can do, though it's probably unlikely... I want to do a lot more testing before putting it out there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henke N
msg tools
If you don't mind but can you tell me how the mode encourage players to work together? Will the co-op mode "simply" be that the other ain't enemies or will the other players actually be comrades so to speak. In what way will there be player interaction . Sorry if I sounded rudd that's not my intention I'm simply curious because I usually enjoy co-op alot more than competitive games.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goh
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
liath wrote:
If you don't mind but can you tell me how the mode encourage players to work together? Will the co-op mode "simply" be that the other ain't enemies or will the other players actually be comrades so to speak. In what way will there be player interaction . Sorry if I sounded rudd that's not my intention I'm simply curious because I usually enjoy co-op alot more than competitive games.

Thanks

It's a good question, and you don't sound rude at all!

So in co-op mode, both players will win or lose together. Because of this, there needs to be communication on what each players will be doing during their turn. For example, certain Skills can be used by one player to protect the other during the Monster's turn to prevent death. Also, because players are able to see in advance what the Monsters will be doing during their turn, players can coordinate to focus on taking down stronger threats before they have a chance to act. The normal game mode rules regarding how kill rewards are awarded still apply in this mode, so some coordination is required to ensure that kill rewards are given out in a balanced manner. (E.g. you wouldn't want to kill a 4-Shard reward monster when you're already fully upgraded and the other player still has a long way to go) And finally, because both players are now sharing the same LIMITED pool of cards from the Realm of Knowledge, communication is important to ensure that they're consuming energy efficiently, otherwise they risk losing the game.

Those are just a few examples I've encountered in the playtests conducted over the past 2 weeks... There might be more uncovered in future!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jahz
France
Le Rouret
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, just received the game today and can't wait to play, so my first game will most likely be solo !
To be honest I had forgotten that there was a solo mode, so this was a really nice surprise on top of the beauty of the game

I'm just wondering when playing solo, are we expected to play "two handed" as if we were 2 in coop, or single handed ?

Wouldn't 1p be significantly harder than 2p as monsters will play more frequently with 1p compared to 2p ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goh
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jahz wrote:
Hi, just received the game today and can't wait to play, so my first game will most likely be solo !
To be honest I had forgotten that there was a solo mode, so this was a really nice surprise on top of the beauty of the game

I'm just wondering when playing solo, are we expected to play "two handed" as if we were 2 in coop, or single handed ?

Wouldn't 1p be significantly harder than 2p as monsters will play more frequently with 1p compared to 2p ?

For 1 player solo mode, the ideal experience is actually to just play as one character. (single-handed)

In the playtests we conducted, 2p is actually ends up being slightly tougher than 1p most of the time. While 2p does mean having access to two sets of Skills and Wonders, it also means the following:

- The rate of Shards awarded from killing Monsters is now split between 2 players (only the killing player gets the monster's reward), which essentially means players in a 2p game "level up" at roughly 50%-60% of the speed as compared to a 1p game.

- As a result of the above, your Skills reach peak efficiency later. Given that your access to Energy is limited as a whole in solo mode (once the Realm of Knowledge is finished, that's it), you run a greater risk of burning out faster than in a 1p game if you're not careful.

- By default, monsters that do damage during their turns do so against all players. So in a 2p game, collectively as a team you're potentially receiving twice the damage than you would have in a 1p game.

I won't reveal more as I feel like I'm already spoiling a bit of the experience but a lot of the above can be mitigated through communication and careful coordination between the 2 players, bringing the difficulty to being similar to that of 1p games. You can definitely try the "two-handed" mode you mentioned too, as it brings forth a slightly different style of gameplay, and you can observe some of the things I've mentioned in action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jahz
France
Le Rouret
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks for your very fast answer which makes totally sense !

I'll start single handed then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Claxton
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Feel free to use the solo player mat design I uploaded to the Files section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls