Matthias Nagy
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The basis of Reykholt was Loyang. You might have read that connection before, but don’t believe that the game in the end is anywhere near it. Let me explain you some aspects of the game and help you understand what Reykholt is about and if you think it is something for you.

When I first got the game, it was called The Fields of Loyang. Based on the classic hit of Uwe. But it was not really Loyang. To say it bluntly, the only thing these two games had in common, were the mechanism of the fields, therefor the name. You had five different resources and there where fields with a lot of space for some kind of goods, and others with less space for more kind of goods. The rest was completely different. I can only guess that this is the reason why Hall Games passed for this game, as it might have been to different. But I liked the game. It was a very solid Worker Placement game. And it featured an awesome element that triggered my gaming instinct and that I will show you in part 2.

But let’s start with what I had in front of me. We had a game, that I liked but I couldn’t use as given, as I was a different publisher than the one of the old thematic. We had to redo the theme. Last year on Monday right after Essen I drove to Uwe and we talked for a full day about all the themes that would fit. I came up with some I liked but Uwe is very keen on theme. He could explain me every time why a certain theme did not work with the mechanics in the game. We finally decided upon Iceland based on an article Uwe read about a tomato restaurant (https://fridheimar.is).

After the theme was set, I called Lukas. Lukas approached me about 4 months earlier at Berlin-Con and told me he is an illustrator and is looking for work. I remembered his awesome style and asked him if he could imagine doing some work on an Uwe game. The result he put out sparked the interest in the game way before the development was finished at a time we are still working on details. But I will never forget that. Big Thanks to Lukas (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/drawdedication) and please check out his other works (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/248167/pandoria & http://www.vtm-heritage.com).

The game has a fixed number of action spaces from the first round to the last. 12 actions in a 2-player game, 20 in a 3-player game and 24 in a 4-player game. And we are talking about very basic actions, nothing complicated. Like simply taking a greenhouse.

Or seeding some crop or harvesting

And still it wouldn’t be an Uwe game if he didn’t add a small thing. The game has some special action spaces. In the final version we call them flagged. If you use a flagged action spaces in a certain column, you may not use any of the other flagged action spaces in the same column.

The clue was it made sure that certain elements that are very important for the game to work, are always available to each player. The flagged actions in one column give you access to greenhouses. The flagged actions in the other column give you option to trade greenhouses for free steps on the tourism track. It helps seeing the two most important elements you should not ignore in the game. Easily visible for each player.

The other element was the racing track. It wasn’t a track at the beginning. It was a row showing the five resources and you had a dice and you wandered through that row again and again increasing your dice every time. It felt nice. The big issue for me was, it felt fiddley. If a die was tumbling down it felt like cheating. You couldn’t read the names of the resources and remember the order they were in. But as it was only a prototype I had no issues redoing it in a way I think helped transporting the theme.

This track was fully blown out. It became the tourism track. You easily advance on the track by moving from one table to the next paying the required costs. But this wouldn’t be an Uwe game if it would be that easy. In Loyang the first step was always cheap, and only subsequent steps costed a lot of money. In Reykholt the costs are always fixed, but once per round you may advance one table without paying the costs. It would be even better. You get the resources needed.

Going from the table with 2 mushrooms to 2 cauliflowers costs you 2 cauliflowers. But you might only have 1. So instead you advance that step, get 2 cauliflowers from the supply and advance on, having enough cauliflowers, when you reach the table requiring 3 cauliflowers.

This trick was amazing. You could plan to get your one free step as a helpful premium. You could even run through ignoring one certain resource all game long, and only taking them for free or paying with the ones you received for free. This small detail adds so much depth to the game.

Expect more exciting elements about Reykholt in the other two previews.

/Edit
Part 2: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2047204/reykholt-previe...
Part 3: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2048242/reykholt-previe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Below
Germany
Egelsbach
Hessen
flag msg tools
Thanks a lot for sharing.
Reykholt is a must have for me and my wife.

Really look forward to part 2 and 3.

We can't visit Spiel 2018 in Essen.
Therefore I would like to know when the game will be available
to buy in Germany.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Nagy
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
edifanobbonafide wrote:
Therefore I would like to know when the game will be available to buy in Germany.

The game will be available in many stores right after Essen. I will also start a preorder for the German version later this week on www.frostedgames.de.

For Preorders in any of the other languages I would like to ask anyone interested to talk with their local publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for writing about this. I’m very interested in this game and have it (English edition) on preorder for Essen.

Will you be talking about the solo mode in future posts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dumidu Surasinghe
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Matthias, how language-dependent are the components?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Nagy
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:

Yes. In part 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Nagy
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
prawn1za wrote:

Very. In theory you could learn the symbols on the board and remember them without reading their explanation, but it does not hurt, to read some of the details.

In addition the game has several cards (I talk about in part 2). And they are very language dependent without any symbols or icons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hengst II
United States
Bangor
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
Sweep the Leg!
mbmbmbmbmb
darkpact wrote:
prawn1za wrote:

Very. In theory you could learn the symbols on the board and remember them without reading their explanation, but it does not hurt, to read some of the details.

In addition the game has several cards (I talk about in part 2). And they are very language dependent without any symbols or icons.

If I may ask, who is publishing the game in English? Do you have a North American publisher yet, or would it make sense to buy it overseas now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Who is the UK publisher?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dumidu Surasinghe
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
darkpact wrote:
prawn1za wrote:

Thanks. I'll wait for the English version then.

Hengst2404 wrote:

If I may ask, who is publishing the game in English? Do you have a North American publisher yet, or would it make sense to buy it overseas now?

I believe Renegade Games is publishing this - https://www.renegadegamestudios.com/reykholt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
darkpact wrote:
The basis of Reykholt was Loyang. You might have read that connection before, but don’t believe that the game in the end is anywhere near it. Let me explain you some aspects of the game and help you understand what Reykholt is about and if you think it is something for you.

When I first got the game, it was called The Fields of Loyang. Based on the classic hit of Uwe. But it was not really Loyang. To say it bluntly, the only thing these two games had in common, were the mechanism of the fields, therefor the name. You had five different resources and there where fields with a lot of space for some kind of goods, and others with less space for more kind of goods. The rest was completely different. I can only guess that this is the reason why Hall Games passed for this game, as it might have been to different. But I liked the game. It was a very solid Worker Placement game. And it featured an awesome element that triggered my gaming instinct and that I will show you in part 2.
Ah! Thank you for these details. I was getting more confused as more gameplay details were being revealed. The Loyang connection kept getting mentioned, but Reykholt seemed almost completely different. Now I know... it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Nagy
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You can see the 10 language versions on the versions page: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/241831/reykholt/vers...

It includes: German, English, Spanish, Japanese, French, Italian, Polish, Russian, Korean, and Brazilian-Portuguese.

davymast wrote:
Who is the UK publisher?

There is no separate UK publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
raphael albertos
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
Brasil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Below
Germany
Egelsbach
Hessen
flag msg tools
Many thanks for your reply which answers my question.
Then I look forward to the preorder option.

Vielen Dank für die Antwort, die alle meine Fragen beantwortet.
Dann freue ich mich schon auf die Vorbestellmöglichkeit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've already pre-ordered my copy from Renegade (English) for pick-up at Essen by a friend- I've been excited about this one since I first heard of it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darkpact wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:

Yes. In part 3.

Thanks. I’m looking forward to reading it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Very cool. It’s hard to make sense of it for me at this point. Looking forward to the other parts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Gudmundsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darkpact wrote:
You can see the 10 language versions on the versions page: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/241831/reykholt/vers...

It includes: German, English, Spanish, Japanese, French, Italian, Polish, Russian, Korean, and Brazilian-Portuguese.

Have you considered doing in an Icelandic version? Since it takes place in Iceland. Maybe you could produce at most 500 copies, but still, would be very cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Nagy
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
tomasgudm wrote:
Have you considered doing in an Icelandic version? Since it takes place in Iceland. Maybe you could produce at most 500 copies, but still, would be very cool.

The minimum I can do per language is 1000. I'm not really against this, but I doubt that I could sell that many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darkpact wrote:
tomasgudm wrote:

The minimum I can do per language is 1000. I'm not really against this, but I doubt that I could sell that many.

I would buy one- just for the cool factor!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
But let’s start with what I had in front of me. We had a game, that I liked but I couldn’t use as given, as I was a different publisher than the one of the old thematic. We had to redo the theme.

I'm curious, what exactly was the original theme?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls