Popular Tags: [View All]
Fabian
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rachelisapoopy wrote:
So far I've yet to see very different openers from all of the factions:

Cats build recruiters and then sawmills and eventually workshops for points.

Eyrie just slowly expand, placing 1 roost down a turn.

Alliance basically can only drop down sympathy tokens until they get their first base.

This is ok though, as the interactions become quite different once we get into the mid-game, especially depending on the turn order.

You're missing out on a lot of nuances depending on hand cards and strategy from these descriptions alone already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rachelisapoopy wrote:
So far I've yet to see very different openers from all of the factions

That's true in most games. Even chess has a small number of effective opening moves in competitive play. In Catan you have to start by building more towns. In any engine builder, there are always first steps that must be taken. You probably notice it more here since the roles have such different starting moves (compared to other games). The key to the early game is WHERE you expand, or WHERE you build your Recruiters. That can make a huge difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
To a certain extent, I agree with the original premise. Each faction has it very clearly defined how to score points - and that's basically what this faction is going to do (barring Dominance), every game. Obviously the "how" can be different across games, driven by situation on board, by cards you have, by cards you've crafted. But that doesn't influence your "rails" *that much*, only somewhat. And that somewhat portion is the key here - for some people it will be enough and for some it might not be enough and that's where "scripted" word comes to mind. It's more in the plane of "feelings", not in the place of cold observation of actual gameplay variations, I think.

I'm not sure when I'm standing as of now. The problem with heavily asymmetric games is that if you design it to be too different across factions, people will lose the grip on what game others are playing. If you do it not different enough, then people will feel that everything is too homogenized. If you do it somewhere in the middle, then there's risk forcing people to do the same thing over and over, with mild variations depending on boardstate. Whether that's good or bad, I'm not sure. But what I am sure of, is that in some games it feels just bad (*cough* Cry Havoc *cough*) and in some games, I somehow don't mind that much. I think Root is in that latter category. It's not complex enough for the scripted asymmetry to bother me. I understand what is asked of me - this is your plan, make it happen, the best way you can. The interesting puzzle of "how to push my plan" every turn drives the game, even if, ultimately, you're plopping the same tokens and going for same strategies. Dominance cards exist to shake this up a bit - if your regular struggle for points seems like isn't going to work, then here's an alternative - play it and go rogue, breaking away from your "plan". Maybe, just maybe, if there was even another win condition (and maybe more accessible?), that could be somewhow fitted into this already crazy design of 6-faction asymmetry, then the feeling of "script" would totally go away. But then again, I'm not even sure if that was ever possible. Be careful what you wish for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.